You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do's and don'ts in Poland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mactifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:16am
Originally posted by toruntips.com toruntips.com wrote:

Originally posted by GreenTribe GreenTribe wrote:

Polish vodka and apple juice and dash of cinnamon

Yes but make sure it's Żubrówka vodka...this goes very well with apple juice. Żubrówka is actually slightly yellowy-green colour and has a blade of grass in the bottle. The grass is picked from the fields where the Polish bison (Żubr) roam...and legend has it that the vodka is that colour because the bison piss on the grass!!! LOL

Żubrówka is regarded as women's vodka but it's ideal for tourists :)

Vodka chilled, ice cold and neat is the best way to drink vodka, a shot of ice cold vodka followed by a slug of juice is the way to go  - stick to the vodka only, you will be bolloxed just doing this for a few hours.

Do not over do it and drink too quickly, trying to prove your ability.
I've seen so called pro vodka drinkers on their ear after a few hours trying to prove what great vodka drinkers they are.

Sponsored Links

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

DO
- Try to get to Torun for a few days
- Keep checking the UEFA portal for tickets if you haven't got any
- Stand Up for the Boys In Green
- Drink Polish vodka

DON'T
- Buy tickets from Irish touts
- Forget your toothbrush
- Wear EPL or SPL jerseys

I'll have my Celtic shirt on if thats OK. 
I always wear Celtic shirts to Ireland games and Ireland shirts to Celtic games. Its just what I do. Tongue
But I'll agree with the EPL bit.

greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:45am
Not having a pop but i dont understand why people do that Confused
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

I still have my old green Liverpool away shirt - I'd never dream of wearing it to an Ireland game.....
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:49am
Originally posted by mactifosi mactifosi wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

They bring you to a pub and ask you to buy then a drink, when you get the bill its about e100 a drink, refuse to pay and some heavies will look after you, including carrying you to an atm of needs be, lads get stung for hundreds on it, massive scam in krakow at least

I have never seen that or heard of that happening here - must be a Krakow thing.
You sure the lads weren't in a 'Night Club' aka brothel.

Torun is a nice town, the bridge over the river is awesome and town looks nice, not sure about the night life though.

Wroclaw is a lovely city, Krakow is also lovely to look at but it's ruined by the religious nut jobs and hooligans - in krakow last year they had protest marches against Halloween...do I need to say more?

Some places worth seeing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbork_Castle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerplatte
http://kornik.pl/en/home/

There are plenty of lakes around Poznan doing grills beside the beach, I'll be taking my mates to a BBQ for the best steaks 'karkowka'.

The lads I know who it happened to went up to two girls as they were getting money and just said 'you have nice eyelashes' then got talking and went 5 mins later thinking they were inLOL It does happen a lot there though, theres warnings up in all the hostels and you'd hear about people getting scammed back at the hostel most days
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:59am
DONT

Forget to record the ireland matches on rte on your UPC sky box

Dunphy will be coming up with more headbanger quotes
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:09am

IMO A Celtic shirt is the only acceptable 'non-Irish' shirt to wear to an Ireland game. The fact that Celtic refused to back down when threatened with closure for refusing to take down the Irish flag at Celtic Park is reason enough for me to wear it. Not to mention the numerous other Irish connections from its foundation to michael davitt turning the first sod at Celtic park etc etc 

Dont want to turn this into a debate, but the fact that its green and white helps too. Smile
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Dont... Go off with any polish girl that comes up to you, major scam out there, happened to a few mates, got stung buying them e100 odd drinks, was hilarious for everyone else though

For Advice on getting scammed by Polish Women....please talk to

CITIZEN and Ireland4Ever

....experts at this stage....they can give you the going rates also!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

IMO A Celtic shirt is the only acceptable 'non-Irish' shirt to wear to an Ireland game. The fact that Celtic refused to back down when threatened with closure for refusing to take down the Irish flag at Celtic Park is reason enough for me to wear it. Not to mention the numerous other Irish connections from its foundation to michael davitt turning the first sod at Celtic park etc etc 

Dont want to turn this into a debate, but the fact that its green and white helps too. Smile

good point schillaci.im not really for celtic jerseys at an ireland match but there i suppose theres a history there.the only thing that grates me is our supports lack of imagination and singing celtic songs.we should come up with new chants instead of singing just cant get enough.

Ill probably wear my hibs jersey over there on the non match days seeing as they were the irish founded team before celtic.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 11:45am
Correct - Hibs founded in 1875, Celts founded in 1887 (first game 1888).

Also Dundee Harp founded in 1879 with the same ethos as Hibs. They went bust not long after forming. Dundee Hibernian founded in 1909 and became Dundee Utd in 1923 in order to attract a greater fan base.

Lesson over....... 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

DONT

Clap
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Correct - Hibs founded in 1875, Celts founded in 1887 (first game 1888).

Also Dundee Harp founded in 1879 with the same ethos as Hibs. They went bust not long after forming. Dundee Hibernian founded in 1909 and became Dundee Utd in 1923 in order to attract a greater fan base.

Lesson over....... 

another interesting thing i found out  a few months ago was the SFA had a huge orange influence in it and the pricks barred the irish harp from the hibs crest for over 80 years and it was only reinstated in 2001.

pat crerand the former united player said in his book abut the orange pricks that had major influence in the scottish team and he said he wouldve prefered to play for the republic as his grand parents were from donegal and he also had more of an affinity to ireland as he did scotland
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:23pm

DONT

Or else we can just use Rte Player
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Guf10 Guf10 wrote:

DONT

i remember after we were at the andorra match,i wanted to watch the match on rte player but it wouldnt work in spain for some reason.there ll be some memorable quotes from the lads.
Thumbs Up
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm

DONT

i remember after we were at the andorra match,i wanted to watch the match on rte player but it wouldnt work in spain for some reason.there ll be some memorable quotes from the lads.
Thumbs Up
RTE only have the broadcasting rights within the Republic (or in some cases within the island of Ireland) so unless you're in Ireland or mask your IP address, a lot of stuff like that isn't available when you are abroad Irishmufc.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

DONT

Thumbs Up
RTE only have the broadcasting rights within the Republic (or in some cases within the island of Ireland) so unless you're in Ireland or mask your IP address, a lot of stuff like that isn't available when you are abroad Irishmufc.

good to know.thanks
damo21 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
What powers have MODS got?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 1:37pm
do's
    do Wear whatever you like
    do be polite to our hosts
    do enjoy yourself
    do try and go to as many games as you can

do not's
     do not try and swim a river locked out of your head (always happens at big events)
     do not piss the local's off
     do not forget to get Mass over there
     do not forget to bring the Barry's Tea

he who lies down with the dog will come up with fleas
Shebber View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Boston Hoop Boston Hoop wrote:

Well I'll be wearing my Rovers or Ireland jersey...

Might I respectfully request that you keep your rovers jersey for rovers games??!! Pet hate of mine!!
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic