You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English Commentators prouncing Irish Surnames

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 6:48pm
Eh you are having trouble pronouncing and spelling the word 'pronouncing' in your thread title Irish mufc
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 7:05pm
I'd call Gary/Tim Cahill, Kayhill because that's the way they pronounce it.

Same way I'd say David Veeya instead of Day-vid Villa.
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 7:08pm
What does annoy me is Kenny Cunningham calling Xabi Alonso, Xavier Alonso.

And David Silva being called Da Silva.

And Chris Waddle calling a penalty a PELANTY.
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Valencia-Va-len-(big gozzy noise)-ia

That one always cracks me up as so many people do that, but of course in spain va is pronounced ba, so they should be saying Ba-len-(big gozzy noise)-ia

Ditto for Sevilla, Villareal and Valladolid LOL

Oh, and David Villa

Edited by BoboDub - 21 Mar 2012 at 8:59pm
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:28am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Another one is Ronan O Gara - Ronan O Gawra .but that isnt too bad

Eh,not having a go at a fellow Mayo man but what you've described above is a person Saying Ronan O Gara in an English accent.If you were to mention Lord Finchley St John Smithe would you put on an English accent while saying it? Would sound fairly strange!
In fact can you imagine if a commentator did this for a premiership game with all the different nationalities,would sound hilarious!

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Another one is Ronan O Gara - Ronan O Gawra .but that isnt too bad

Eh,not having a go at a fellow Mayo man but what you've described above is a person Saying Ronan O Gara in an English accent.If you were to mention Lord Finchley St John Smithe would you put on an English accent while saying it? Would sound fairly strange!
In fact can you imagine if a commentator did this for a premiership game with all the different nationalities,would sound hilarious!

you re right its more of an english accent dragging the aww out of the word as opposed to not pronkuncing it properly.actually the d4 accent does the same but it sounds ten times more annoying " O Gaawra and the goys" .such twats.id rather have a buffer mayo accent (mine isnt that strong as im from the urban metropolis of westport ) but that fcukin d4 accent gets on my tits.one lad in college wasnt even from the d4 area and he was putting the accent on
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:07am
what complete nonsense this thread is. I've a mate from Mayo second name Keane, he says it's pronounced Kane..

There are examples of this all across Ireland, but the big bad English read Irish names in their accents that are different to ours -- - -- - oh my GAWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Eh you are having trouble pronouncing and spelling the word 'pronouncing' in your thread title Irish mufc

cheeky cxxt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

what complete nonsense this thread is. I've a mate from Mayo second name Keane, he says it's pronounced Kane..

There are examples of this all across Ireland, but the big bad English read Irish names in their accents that are different to ours -- - -- - oh my GAWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Your right about about the kane thing but its just another excuse to have a go at the english.it really doesnt bother me that much.we re always giving off about them whether its their colonial past,sky sports coverage,john terry or their team so its another thing to throw into the mix.
What is stupid though is they can pronounce difficult names of players of different countries at world cups but because they speak the same language as us they assume they re saying the names properly.its just them being harmlessly ignorant.its not a diplomatic crisis or anything,its funny to point it out
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:31am

Just get them to say drawing or bananarama, laugh and move on

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Just get them to say drawing or bananarama, laugh and move on

newrygreen View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:31pm
Drogbarrrr
Twitter: @50SavesOfDeGea
Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:14pm
Big difference in parts of Ireland pronouncing names i.e Kearney up north is pronounced Ker-Knee
down south its Car-Knee - not just a british thing also up north Darren O'Dea would be pronounced O'Day just like O'Shea is O'Shay -   
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Rostrevor Fan Rostrevor Fan wrote:

Big difference in parts of Ireland pronouncing names i.e Kearney up north is pronounced Ker-Knee
down south its Car-Knee - not just a british thing also up north Darren O'Dea would be pronounced O'Day just like O'Shea is O'Shay -   

That one genuinely annoys me for some reason. ( insert your own Angry Nordie comment here)
@AntrimMan85
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:28pm
The yanks

Packie Boner all the way from the green fields of Dunnygall
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by newrygreen newrygreen wrote:

Drogbarrrr

Pronounced "Droba" in Mayo
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Rostrevor Fan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rostrevor Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Drogbarrrr

I wonder what their neighbours in Co alway think of their silent G
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Rostrevor Fan Rostrevor Fan wrote:

Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Drogbarrrr

I wonder what their neighbours in Co alway think of their silent G

cheeky bastards LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic