You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Arsenal thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 229>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by farfar farfar wrote:

Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

Interesting reading here lads, despite me not agreeing with much of your arguments!! No, it wasn't a rehashed article, and the point about Rice was that there is nobody at Arsenal who is either allowed or capable of questioning the manager. I know Rice has retired. it's just I thought he had retired about 10 seasons ago, given his lack of anything to do with anything when sitting on the bench!! Wink

OK,

I suppose in the first instance it depends upon where you set your sights as an Arsenal Fan. What defines progress or success in the main.

We USED to compete for the Premier league.  We won it a few times, until our great players left or were let go too soon by Arsene. With whom did Arsene replace them? Not other great players, that's for sure.

Both of you referred to us overhauling Spurs last season as being as an achievement of some note. Really?  Forgive me if I think that Arsenal having to clamber over a collapsing Spurs is frankly not good enough from an Arsenal squad whcih has the 3rd largest wage bill in the Premiership.

You both referred to the fact that he doesn't have money to spend on players. Since when? IIRC, Arsene has said he has lots of money to spend on players but will only buy "quality, quality players". So is he lying or is the board? Every season, he has money to spend, and as you rightly pointed out waited FAR too long last season to plug the gaping holes in the team.

Next - on to the dressing room. It doesn't have to be a bitchfest when one loses a dressing room. I believe the ambitious players (some say greed and ambition are the same thing..!!) just don't believe him any more - that to me is losing the dressing room as well.

If Cesc, Nasri, Adebayor, Diarra, Henry,  Cole, and possibly RVP have left to win things, why didn't they stay with Arsene, who promises us every year that we will "win things" until round about March when this mantra changes to "competing with every drop of our blood" to challenge for a champions league place.

Those of us who remember the invincibles know that Arsene let too many of them go far too soon, in pursuit of his utterly failed "project Youth"  - Pires, Freddy, Lauren for instance should have been kept for longer. Would he listen - nope - Arsene's way or the highway. That's a dangerous and ultimately damning situation for any club to be in.  With whom did Arsenal replace those 3?

As a parallel, Giggs and Scholes have been kept for their experience. Who does Arsene keep on?

The Ox
I had been watching this guys progress from 3 years ago via another Arsenal mailing list so I was delighted when he signed.  (Bit patronising of you to assume I don't/didnt want youth in the team!!)  I want quality, whether they're 16, 26 or 36. If Arsene truly knows, then he knows which players he needs. So why are they not arriving, and why are the great ones departing?

Someone said the Ox was huffing and puffing at the Man U game????? Really??? So whom did Arsene Bring on to replace the guy who had changed that game - Andre Arhsavin!!!!! Mr. Fitness himself..!! You couldn't make it up. Watch the video of the game if you don't believe me..!!

Injuries.
Please, don't embarrass yourself with this argument. Every club plays the same number of games, more or less. However, we win the league EVERY season with the most injuries - check out www.physioroom.com if you dont believe me..!! What does that tell you? Either our conditioning regime or backup medical team sucks, and Arsene is responsible in this area. I remember Van Persie being treated with horse placenta not so long ago, whcih kept him out for how many additional months?

Incidentally, it's just a bizarre co-incidence that RVPs fittest (and only fully fit season for Arsenal) season arrives the season before he intimates he wants to leave Arsenal. 

Arsene is incapable of recognising that the football world has moved on and as such, just like Trappatoni, needs to move aside if Arsenal are to clamber BACK to the top table in world Football.

For instance, how have our CL performances been since Paris - the same, better, or worse?
How has our Premiership form been in the last number of seasons since the Invincibles? - the same, better, or worse?

Arsenal used to win things. All things being the same, would you put money on Arsenal to win the Prem this season? Or the CL? Or even the FA Cup. Have we invested enough to compete at the top again?

I see us becoming like Liverpool if we continue - a very big club, with very little ambition from the board and a manager who is on huge money, happy to take it, and protect the decsions of the board.

One mentioned that we were unlucky not to win a Trophy in 2010/2011??? Huh????
We threw it away. do you not remember the goal which gave it to Birmingham? Have either Kocielny or Szec become better players since then? Have a look at Szec's end of season if you like. Also, Koc is a continual accident waiting to happen, much and all as he shows great passion. He is found out against good players, every time.

I go back to my original point here. many Arsenal fans are happy to continue along this slow gradual decline into mediocrity, which is where we currently are heading. I'm not, as I fully believe Arsenal have the infrastructure, the money and the setup to compete with anyone at any time. 

someone asked for other managers - good question.  For the money Arsene is on, there are many who whould leap at the job.  I'll have a think about a replacement, but it's not going to happen as the board have a manager who is happy with them, and vice versa.

You see the thing I don't agree with you on is you put the blame pretty much solely on Wenger's shoulders. I agree with a lot of your post but I think the blame lies elsewhere.

I don't think it is any coincidence that Arsenal have not won any trophies since the move in to the Emirates. It was really around that point that a change in policy had to take place. In order to pay back the stadium debt Arsenal had to start producing more players from the academy to be introduced in to the team as they could not afford to pay large fee's due to restrictions from the stadium. Basically Arsenal replaced the likes of Vieira through youth policy and bargain buys.

As for your question who is lying about having money to spend. Well I put up an article early with quotes from Wenger saying he needs to make between 15-20 million a year. so I think that answers the question. I know Wenger has said before that he does have money to spend but the stats would suggest other wise. He is hardly not spending money for the sake of it. It does not reflect well on any kind of business/ club especially a big club like Arsenal if the manager says he has no money to spend. Arsenal fans know that one of the richest men in Russia holds 30% of the club. If Wenger was to say he has no money it would put huge pressure on the current owner and board to sell the club which is exactly what they don't want.

Agree with the point about the medical team as it is an absolute joke the amount of injuries there are and there are an awful lot of misdiagnoses like Wilshere's last year who was meant to be out for a couple of weeks.

Don't see how the football world has moved on from Wenger. After the invincibles he bought small technical players to try and pass teams to death in the middle of the pitch. And one of the best teams that the world have ever seen are yes that kind of exact player. It just has not worked in the PL unfortunately. While Trap on the other hand is the exact opposite.

Lets not kid ourselves we were never exactly great in the champions league and we did reach another semi-final since then and have been un lucky to draw Barcelona twice in that time so seasonal results in the champions league have not fluctuated too much.

I would love to see what Arsene could do with the money Liverpool's owners threw at Dalgleish.

You can't honestly say Koscielny has not improved since the Carling cup defeat. He was excellent this year and possibly Arsenal's 2nd best player behind RVP. Stats wise Koscielny got in the PL team of the year last season and as for found out against good players every time .... I suppose Messi is very average and he got man of the match for France against Spain in his only appearence in the Euro's

Don't know any Arsenal fans happy to see them fall into decline hence they want a change of board with money invested into the club. Money should now be available due to most of the debt being payed off yet season ticket prices rise nearly every year and very little of it goes to transfers.

This. (As well as my previous post)

Edited by MJD - 06 Jul 2012 at 5:41pm
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
Sponsored Links

M.50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 10:12pm
Anyone heading over for opening game of new campaign?
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 5:00am
i wouldnt see consistent top 4 finishes as a huge decline. Arsenal buck trend with wages etc., in the top 6 EPL clubs and thats to be applauded. The board will always be happy with CL qualificaiton. Thats the way modern football as a business works at the top level. 
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 1:55pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:07pm
[QUOTE=The Q Man] http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/savearsenalfc[/QUOTE]

I'd would have signed that petition if it hadn't asked for that sleezy, dodgy and corrupt Russian / Uzbek billionaire to be installed instead of Kroenke.
Kingkeano16 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:18pm
Was just watching premier league years last night. Was 07/08. Arsenal were at the top of the table. Eduardo and Van Persie were banging them in. Seemed to be after Eduardo's leg break that things started to  crumble. An EPL championship in '08 and who knows what would have happened.

Not an Arsenal fan, but always like to see them do well. Hope they cash on RVP and buy a decent striker. No point in letting him walk away for free and Arsenal fans should also remember that last year was his first really good year. Usually dogged by injury. 
Mr Burns: Tonight Homer I want you to show Marge the time of her life.
Homer: Marge! We're getting a drive thru and doin' it twice!
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Kingkeano16 Kingkeano16 wrote:

Was just watching premier league years last night. Was 07/08. Arsenal were at the top of the table. Eduardo and Van Persie were banging them in. Seemed to be after Eduardo's leg break that things started to  crumble. An EPL championship in '08 and who knows what would have happened.

Not an Arsenal fan, but always like to see them do well. Hope they cash on RVP and buy a decent striker. No point in letting him walk away for free and Arsenal fans should also remember that last year was his first really good year. Usually dogged by injury. 

Ya that was the one that got away. Agree with you about RVP.
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 8:45am
http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympics-sport/aaron-ramsey-will-defy-arsene-wenger-by-seizing-golden-opportunity-7924274.html 

FFS. Another thankless little idiot who has been treated incredibly well by Arsenal following his broken leg, who now thinks it's ok to play in the Olympic tournament, despite his manager asking him not to...

"Once in a lifetime opportunity" WTF. has Ramsay some kind of terminal illness that will see him pop his clogs in the next 4 years, or is this the last every Olympic Games.

Arsenal need all the good players we have. Ramsay in the Olympics is not the kind of pre-season Wenger had in mind as far as I can see.

AngryAngryAngry

What does Wenger do with this now?

Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 1:45pm

http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympics-sport/aaron-ramsey-will-defy-arsene-wenger-by-seizing-golden-opportunity-7924274.html 

FFS. Another thankless little idiot who has been treated incredibly well by Arsenal following his broken leg, who now thinks it's ok to play in the Olympic tournament, despite his manager asking him not to...

"Once in a lifetime opportunity" WTF. has Ramsay some kind of terminal illness that will see him pop his clogs in the next 4 years, or is this the last every Olympic Games.

Arsenal need all the good players we have. Ramsay in the Olympics is not the kind of pre-season Wenger had in mind as far as I can see.

AngryAngryAngry

Ramsey won't even be in the first team once we have everyone fit. This won't do his chances any good.

The 'once in a lifetime opportunity' he refers to is the fact that you have to be under 23 to play (unless you're one of the three overage players), so really it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. Could well ruin his Arsenal career though!
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 2:46pm
Ramsey had some horrible performances last year. Please go buy De Jong. Would love to see Arsenal with a hard man in the middle of the field. You'll win nothing with Song and Ramsey. De Jong and Wilshere would be a fine combination!
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

AngryAngryAngry

Ramsey won't even be in the first team once we have everyone fit. This won't do his chances any good.

The 'once in a lifetime opportunity' he refers to is the fact that you have to be under 23 to play (unless you're one of the three overage players), so really it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. Could well ruin his Arsenal career though!

good point on the over 23 thing. If i was Ramsey I would go to the Olympics if I felt up for it. Go speak to wenger and tell him you want to win an Olympic medal...
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:10pm
they have to cash in on ven persie alright , i coudlnt see his head being in the game this season , but will wenger even spend that cash then ?
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:43pm
Personally think Ramsey is sh*te anyway and wouldn't mind if we sold him. Song on the other hand is absolutely top class, could walk into most teams 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingkeano16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by wrestler313 wrestler313 wrote:

Personally think Ramsey is sh*te anyway and wouldn't mind if we sold him. Song on the other hand is absolutely top class, could walk into most teams 

Jekyll & Hyde player..He can do some great things attacking but he doesn't always do his defensive duties.. 
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:15pm
Dharmesh Sheth saying Van Persie could still sign a new contract. Very much like the Ronney situation a couple of years ago. Always had this in the back of my mind rather in hope then expectation though.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:19pm
Ramsey linked with Fulham a few weeks back. It could happen if Dempsey gets his move
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:24pm
Remember this guy?
apparently RVP was of great help to him in moving away from Arsenal.

Anyone know much about Besiktas, and their overall standing?

At the moment, there's as much chance of RVP staying as there is of him leaving. Time will tell. Interesting to see that the groundswell of opinion seems to be shifting away from RVP and towards Arsene in this instance.

I'm certainly happy for Arsene to do whatever he thinks is right in this instance. RVP has been babysat by Arsenal for 7 of the last 8 seasons, and this is how RVP thanks us.
To drink all your beer,
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by wrestler313 wrestler313 wrote:

Can't agree there.

Ramsay has the same level of talent as the Ox IMO. The broken leg didn't help his career and last season Wenger relied far too much on him, given it was Jacks turn to become injured.  He refused to rest Ramsay, even when it was patently obvious that the young fella was being overplayed. CryCry

Song IS top class, but prone to making some horrendous defensive errors too frequently. He should have learnt not to lose possession in his own half of the pitch by this stage of his career. WBA (I think it was) at home near seasons end. Anyone recall their winner?

Still and all, there's a new season around the corner, and Ramsays off to play in a competitive tournament for some other team, without Wengers blessing. Cheeky git.

As for the o/23 nonsense - u think he won't get selected again when he passes 23??ConfusedConfusedConfused

I repeat it - "once in a lifetime opportunity" me a**e !!LOLLOL

Aaron should be told to go training, get fit and make sure he's ready for 38 premiership matches this season. We need players of his ability this season. We also need them fit. Playing in the olympics is a needless irrelevence from an Arsenal perspective. If Ramsay wants to win an Olympic medal, get him to take up Diving, like Nani.

To drink all your beer,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 229>
  Share Topic