Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Arsenal thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 229>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:11am
I got this email from Arsenal last night............

Dear Mr ColemanY2K

Re: Season Ticket Waiting List – Membership Number: XXXXXXXXXXX

We are pleased to inform you that you are now eligible to be offered 1 season ticket(s) for this coming 2012-2013 campaign.

If you are interested in taking up the offer please call the Gold Membership Team on 020 7704 3607 before the 16th July 2012. Opening hours are Monday-Friday 9:30am-4:30pm and Saturday 10am-3pm.

You will need to quote your Season Ticket Waiting List Membership Number and confirm your personal details. As the sales will be handled over the telephone using our virtual reality software, please ensure that you have access to the internet when calling.

If you decide to accept the offer and purchase season ticket(s), you will be agreeing to and accepting Arsenal’s Membership and Ticketing Terms and Conditions, together with the Emirates Stadium Ground Regulations. The up-to-date Terms and Conditions and Regulations can be found here.

Please note that if you are a current Silver Member, you will be required to relinquish your Silver Membership on acceptance of the offer. You will, however, receive a full refund of the applicable fee.

If you do not call the team and accept the offer before 16th July 2012 in accordance with the relevant Terms and Conditions (including as regards payment of the relevant price), the offer will lapse and you will not be able to purchase any season tickets for the coming season.

Please note that the available seating is limited and will be sold on a first come first served basis. The majority of available seating is situated behind the goal areas in the Upper Tier, priced at £1,423 (or £1,173 for the back ten rows of this area). Payment may be made by debit or credit card, cheque or finance - details will be given on request.

Our friendly and dedicated team will do their best to find you a suitable seat.

Yours sincerely

Arsenal Box Office

They can swing for it. I joined the season ticket waiting list 6 years ago and was advised that it was estimated to take 15-20 years to be offered a seat. The Arsenal board need to wake up and smell the coffee. The fans are clearly no longer willing to pay through the nose !

Sponsored Links

greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

Originally posted by farfar farfar wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

The french lad on off the ball last night said Wenger has been offered the French job and hasnt said no.

He would be an even bigger loss.

He would be, and he'd be within his rights to jack it in after having to take all of the flak from the fickle fans for the board's enforced tight purse strings. All the fans who have been calling for his head the past three years will only realise once he's gone how lucky we are to have him.
The same argument can be used about players, and pretty much anyone who assumes a role of "greatness" in any sphere.

nothing lasts forever, including great players and great managers. Allied to that is the fact that nobody is indispensible.

I include Arsene Wenger in this.  If he dropped dead (God forbid) in teh morning, Arsenal would have to replace him.

Unfortunately for Arsene, he has been compared with SAF for many years, as Arsenal were the only team who came close to knocking Man United from their top perch for many seasons.  When he ran out of steam, and ran out of great players, it became a source of personal frustration and his mojo appeared affected greatly by it. This passion to succeed appears to have deserted him for the last 6 seasons.

I don't subscribe to the financial argument. Arsenal are one of the wealthiest teams in the World, not just in the UK. they pretty much financed, and have paid for in the main from their own resources, a brand new stadium, whilst continuing to stay near the top of English football, although if you look at their annual performance stats in the EPL, it's becoming more difficult for them to do this each season.  Why is that?

Nor do I agree that Arsenal don't have the money to compete. Arsenal CHOOSE to spend their money on the stadium debt and not on the best players. Furthermore, many of Arsenals failures (Squillachi etc ) are on HUGE salaries and other clubs are not willing to take them off Arsenals hands to cover this nonsense money, that Arsene was involved in negotiating, folllowing David Dein's sacking. Arsene has never recovered from Dein's departure either.  However, it appears more and more that Dein saw the incompetence of the current board before anyone else, whcih is why he nailed himself to Usmanov's mast (and paid the penalty by being sacked - you could hardly blame the board for sacking him, even if Dein was regarded as the best in the footballing business for player negotiations !!)

Arsenal have won nothing for 7 seasons. Some would argue - so what.

So what's changed?

Unfortunately, I believe that the better players at Arsenal lost patience with Arsene and stopped believing his spin that "I want to win trophies, etc, etc", and Arsene's failure to buy world class players has resulted in this exodus of great players from Arsenal.

His arrogance in relation to "project youth"  and his arrogance in refusing to use talented players like the Ox because the Press were raving about them, choosing idiots like Theo/Arshavin (anyone remember the Man U game at home last season - why do you think 40,000 of the crowd booed when the Ox was taken off - we went on to lose that game) are symptoms of an out of control ego and a foolish "I am right and everyone else is wrong" attitude, which is costing Arsenal dearly as every trophyless season passes us by. 

Who is there at Arsenal who can argue with him? Pat Rice - a man who moves less than a Ballinspittle Statue???

Nothing lasts forever. I want Arsene to go (now) when hes fondly remembered and revered, not when he's remembered as the manager who oversaw the dismantling of Arsenals best players to their main rivals, and was unable or incapable of effecting any change for the better. I remain convinced that Arsene has completely lost the dressing room, certainly among experienced players (who is left with experience anyway at this stage?)

Finally, I'll ask all the pro-Wenger Arsenal fans this - at what stage do you think it will be time for Arsene to go?
a. Never-until he decides
b. when we don't win anything for x years
c. When we fail to get to the CL group stages
d. when even the young players stop believing his spin
e. when United beat us 8-2 again - that alone and teh 4-3 at blackburn  two weeks later were unforgivable in my book. Shameful management.

in today's footballing world, money talks, or your best players walk.

Nasri, Clichy, Henry, Cesc, Overmars, Adebayor, Toure,   the list goes on and on....

Who's next - RVP? Theo? Ox? Song? all three

They have lost market share in footballing terms, and are becoming a selling club. It kills me to say that by the way.AngryAngryAngry

Sadly, Arsene has lost his way, and lost his influence in teh dressing room. Just like Trap, I think it's time he moved on.

I know, i'm told to be careful what you wish for!!! However, I've seen nothing in the last 3 seasons which has encouraged me to believe that Arsene knows what he is doing any longer.  

Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Dear Mr ColemanY2K

We are pleased to inform you that you are now eligible to be offered 1 season ticket(s) for this coming 2012-2013 campaign.

If you are interested in taking up the offer please call the Gold Membership Team on 020 7704 3607 before the 16th July 2012. Opening hours are Monday-Friday 9:30am-4:30pm and Saturday 10am-3pm.

You will need to quote your Season Ticket Waiting List Membership Number and confirm your personal details. As the sales will be handled over the telephone using our virtual reality software, please ensure that you have access to the internet when calling.

If you decide to accept the offer and purchase season ticket(s), you will be agreeing to and accepting Arsenal’s Membership and Ticketing Terms and Conditions, together with the Emirates Stadium Ground Regulations. The up-to-date Terms and Conditions and Regulations can be found here.

Please note that if you are a current Silver Member, you will be required to relinquish your Silver Membership on acceptance of the offer. You will, however, receive a full refund of the applicable fee.

If you do not call the team and accept the offer before 16th July 2012 in accordance with the relevant Terms and Conditions (including as regards payment of the relevant price), the offer will lapse and you will not be able to purchase any season tickets for the coming season.

Please note that the available seating is limited and will be sold on a first come first served basis. The majority of available seating is situated behind the goal areas in the Upper Tier, priced at £1,423 (or £1,173 for the back ten rows of this area). Payment may be made by debit or credit card, cheque or finance - details will be given on request.

Yours sincerely

Arsenal Box Office

They can swing for it. I joined the season ticket waiting list 6 years ago and was advised that it was estimated to take 15-20 years to be offered a seat. The Arsenal board need to wake up and smell the coffee. The fans are clearly no longer willing to pay through the nose !

Haha I received the same email a few days ago and the letter yesterday! I've been on the list for about 8 years. Joined it thinking it'd become available once I was too old to play football but the club's current situation has obviously shortened expectations! Won't be able to take it because I still play. Do we have to rejoin the list if we don't take up the offer?
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

The french lad on off the ball last night said Wenger has been offered the French job and hasnt said no.

He would be, and he'd be within his rights to jack it in after having to take all of the flak from the fickle fans for the board's enforced tight purse strings. All the fans who have been calling for his head the past three years will only realise once he's gone how lucky we are to have him.
The same argument can be used about players, and pretty much anyone who assumes a role of "greatness" in any sphere.

nothing lasts forever, including great players and great managers. Allied to that is the fact that nobody is indispensible.

I include Arsene Wenger in this.  If he dropped dead (God forbid) in teh morning, Arsenal would have to replace him.

Unfortunately for Arsene, he has been compared with SAF for many years, as Arsenal were the only team who came close to knocking Man United from their top perch for many seasons.  When he ran out of steam, and ran out of great players, it became a source of personal frustration and his mojo appeared affected greatly by it. This passion to succeed appears to have deserted him for the last 6 seasons.

I don't subscribe to the financial argument. Arsenal are one of the wealthiest teams in the World, not just in the UK. they pretty much financed, and have paid for in the main from their own resources, a brand new stadium, whilst continuing to stay near the top of English football, although if you look at their annual performance stats in the EPL, it's becoming more difficult for them to do this each season.  Why is that?

Nor do I agree that Arsenal don't have the money to compete. Arsenal CHOOSE to spend their money on the stadium debt and not on the best players. Furthermore, many of Arsenals failures (Squillachi etc ) are on HUGE salaries and other clubs are not willing to take them off Arsenals hands to cover this nonsense money, that Arsene was involved in negotiating, folllowing David Dein's sacking. Arsene has never recovered from Dein's departure either.  However, it appears more and more that Dein saw the incompetence of the current board before anyone else, whcih is why he nailed himself to Usmanov's mast (and paid the penalty by being sacked - you could hardly blame the board for sacking him, even if Dein was regarded as the best in the footballing business for player negotiations !!)

Arsenal have won nothing for 7 seasons. Some would argue - so what.

So what's changed?

Unfortunately, I believe that the better players at Arsenal lost patience with Arsene and stopped believing his spin that "I want to win trophies, etc, etc", and Arsene's failure to buy world class players has resulted in this exodus of great players from Arsenal.

His arrogance in relation to "project youth"  and his arrogance in refusing to use talented players like the Ox because the Press were raving about them, choosing idiots like Theo/Arshavin (anyone remember the Man U game at home last season - why do you think 40,000 of the crowd booed when the Ox was taken off - we went on to lose that game) are symptoms of an out of control ego and a foolish "I am right and everyone else is wrong" attitude, which is costing Arsenal dearly as every trophyless season passes us by. 

Who is there at Arsenal who can argue with him? Pat Rice - a man who moves less than a Ballinspittle Statue???

Nothing lasts forever. I want Arsene to go (now) when hes fondly remembered and revered, not when he's remembered as the manager who oversaw the dismantling of Arsenals best players to their main rivals, and was unable or incapable of effecting any change for the better. I remain convinced that Arsene has completely lost the dressing room, certainly among experienced players (who is left with experience anyway at this stage?)

Finally, I'll ask all the pro-Wenger Arsenal fans this - at what stage do you think it will be time for Arsene to go?
e. when United beat us 8-2 again - that alone and teh 4-3 at blackburn  two weeks later were unforgivable in my book. Shameful management.

Nasri, Clichy, Henry, Cesc, Overmars, Adebayor, Toure,   the list goes on and on....

They have lost market share in footballing terms, and are becoming a selling club. It kills me to say that by the way.AngryAngryAngry

Sadly, Arsene has lost his way, and lost his influence in teh dressing room. Just like Trap, I think it's time he moved on.

I know, i'm told to be careful what you wish for!!! However, I've seen nothing in the last 3 seasons which has encouraged me to believe that Arsene knows what he is doing any longer.  

This must be an old rehashed post ..but still valid i suppose...Pat Rice is already retired
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:58am

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Dear Mr ColemanY2K

Yours sincerely

Arsenal Box Office

Haha I received the same email a few days ago and the letter yesterday! I've been on the list for about 8 years. Joined it thinking it'd become available once I was too old to play football but the club's current situation has obviously shortened expectations! Won't be able to take it because I still play. Do we have to rejoin the list if we don't take up the offer?

TBH I have no idea where my waiting list number is and don't intend to dig it out either. The benefit of living in London is I can pick and choose my games this year and that's what I intend to do.
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:15am
Good post GG, and well argued unlike the vast majority of bufoons who just say 'Arsene Out' without backing it up with any informed reasoning other than our lack of trophies.

I don't subscribe to the financial argument. Arsenal are one of the wealthiest teams in the World, not just in the UK. they pretty much financed, and have paid for in the main from their own resources, a brand new stadium, whilst continuing to stay near the top of English football, although if you look at their annual performance stats in the EPL, it's becoming more difficult for them to do this each season.

Nor do I agree that Arsenal don't have the money to compete. Arsenal CHOOSE to spend their money on the stadium debt and not on the best players. Furthermore, many of Arsenals failures (Squillachi etc ) are on HUGE salaries and other clubs are not willing to take them off Arsenals hands to cover this nonsense money, that Arsene was involved in negotiating, folllowing David Dein's sacking. 

Arsenal are one of the wealthiest teams in the world, but it is a fact that the board refuse to match the transfer fees and wage demands that other clubs, such as City, Chelsea and Utd, are willing to expend. This is because the board want to run a club that sustains itself financially, without a massive debt burden that the three aforementioned clubs have. Therefore, Wenger's hands are tied in terms of the calibre of player he can attract.

Squillaci has turned out to be an awful signing, but he was a regular French international not long before we signed him, and his excessive wages are due to the fact we signed him on a free.

The Ox was blowing out of his arse by the time he was substituted in that game. He did have a very good game but I'm pretty certain that he would have been largely ineffective for the remainder of the match if he had remained on the pitch. It was blinkered fans again not looking at the bigger picture. Also, don't forget that Arshavin had stopped making any effort in Arsenal shirt at that point, and Walcott was being slated in the press at the time, so the reaction was as much about the options we had other than the Ox. Ox will play a much bigger part this year, but he definitely needs to improve his match fitness as he never looked capable of completing a full match last season.

None of the players ever say a bad word about Wenger (quite the opposite in fact), including those players who leave the club, so I highly doubt he's lost the dressing room. Vermaelen is an experienced player, and a few months ago he said that he wants to stay at Arsenal for the remainder of his career.

Don't just say you want him to go, like all the other fans do, come up with a good solution as to a replacement, and then your argument might command some serious thought.

A lot of people seem to forget about the unbelievable bad luck we've had with injuries over the past few years, especially at the start of last season. Look at the defence we had to field against Utd: Jenkinson (an 18yo who had just signed from Charlton!), Djourrou (useless), Koscielny (what chance does he have playing alongside Djourrou?), and Traore (wasn't at all interested, and was completely unfit). You could argue that Wenger should have ensured we have a squad capable of covering injuries, but again that surely comes down to our spending abilities.

Yes, exactly, money talks! And, in my view (backed by Usmanov's view - who is a lot closer to knowing the goings-on at the club than any of us), that comes down to the board, not Wenger!!

Trap! Again I disagree with that, but that's another argument to be had another time! Wink

What about the overhaul of the nasty neighbour's 13 point lead?!?! Once our ridiculous injury list shortened a bit, we were able to perform closer to our actual abilities and show again that we are still the better side in North London. Also, don't forget how unlucky we were to not win a trophy in 2010/11 (Birmingham!!), so the trophyless argument is a whisker away from being invalid.

To summarise, until a real solution is suggested in the form of a manager who would be capable of improving our performances and stature, there is no point in campaigning for or suggesting that Wenger needs to go.
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:19am

Ye I know load of gobsh*tes can't see how people are blaming Wenger and not the board. He has worked miracles with his budget. I am friends with one of these people who want Wenger out and around October I asked him who should replace him and he goes Coyle........

Yeah I heard people saying that too. It was even printed on the back page of the Sunday World (what a rag!).
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:54am

Good post GG, and well argued unlike the vast majority of bufoons who just say 'Arsene Out' without backing it up with any informed reasoning other than our lack of trophies.

I don't subscribe to the financial argument. Arsenal are one of the wealthiest teams in the World, not just in the UK. they pretty much financed, and have paid for in the main from their own resources, a brand new stadium, whilst continuing to stay near the top of English football, although if you look at their annual performance stats in the EPL, it's becoming more difficult for them to do this each season.

Nor do I agree that Arsenal don't have the money to compete. Arsenal CHOOSE to spend their money on the stadium debt and not on the best players. Furthermore, many of Arsenals failures (Squillachi etc ) are on HUGE salaries and other clubs are not willing to take them off Arsenals hands to cover this nonsense money, that Arsene was involved in negotiating, folllowing David Dein's sacking. 

Arsenal are one of the wealthiest teams in the world, but it is a fact that the board refuse to match the transfer fees and wage demands that other clubs, such as City, Chelsea and Utd, are willing to expend. This is because the board want to run a club that sustains itself financially, without a massive debt burden that the three aforementioned clubs have. Therefore, Wenger's hands are tied in terms of the calibre of player he can attract.

Squillaci has turned out to be an awful signing, but he was a regular French international not long before we signed him, and his excessive wages are due to the fact we signed him on a free.

The Ox was blowing out of his arse by the time he was substituted in that game. He did have a very good game but I'm pretty certain that he would have been largely ineffective for the remainder of the match if he had remained on the pitch. It was blinkered fans again not looking at the bigger picture. Also, don't forget that Arshavin had stopped making any effort in Arsenal shirt at that point, and Walcott was being slated in the press at the time, so the reaction was as much about the options we had other than the Ox. Ox will play a much bigger part this year, but he definitely needs to improve his match fitness as he never looked capable of completing a full match last season.

None of the players ever say a bad word about Wenger (quite the opposite in fact), including those players who leave the club, so I highly doubt he's lost the dressing room. Vermaelen is an experienced player, and a few months ago he said that he wants to stay at Arsenal for the remainder of his career.

Don't just say you want him to go, like all the other fans do, come up with a good solution as to a replacement, and then your argument might command some serious thought.

A lot of people seem to forget about the unbelievable bad luck we've had with injuries over the past few years, especially at the start of last season. Look at the defence we had to field against Utd: Jenkinson (an 18yo who had just signed from Charlton!), Djourrou (useless), Koscielny (what chance does he have playing alongside Djourrou?), and Traore (wasn't at all interested, and was completely unfit). You could argue that Wenger should have ensured we have a squad capable of covering injuries, but again that surely comes down to our spending abilities.

Yes, exactly, money talks! And, in my view (backed by Usmanov's view - who is a lot closer to knowing the goings-on at the club than any of us), that comes down to the board, not Wenger!!

Trap! Again I disagree with that, but that's another argument to be had another time! Wink

What about the overhaul of the nasty neighbour's 13 point lead?!?! Once our ridiculous injury list shortened a bit, we were able to perform closer to our actual abilities and show again that we are still the better side in North London. Also, don't forget how unlucky we were to not win a trophy in 2010/11 (Birmingham!!), so the trophyless argument is a whisker away from being invalid.

To summarise, until a real solution is suggested in the form of a manager who would be capable of improving our performances and stature, there is no point in campaigning for or suggesting that Wenger needs to go.
You beat me to it MJD and pretty much agree with all your points will just add a couple of things to it. I can't break up the conversation so going to have to number. Don't want to be putting words in your mouth MJD so obviously feel free to argue back if you disagree with ant.

Just backs up MJD's point of having to make a profit.

2. Were you one of these fans who were complaining about the signing of the Ox in the first place? saying 12 million for another kid? Yet by the end of the season he ended up as being a fan favorite and some sort of savior to many fans. Arsenal fans have to understand that to be able to get these players they have to get them when they are young or else they will be well out of our price range in a couple of years time. Wenger did the right thing by easing him into the team slowly. For his first few games he was immense but by the end of the season he looked tired and was no where near as effective as he was.

3. Nothing to add to that.

4. To add to the defensive woes the Central midfield partnership was Coquelin who was making his PL debut I think and Ramsey who had a pretty poor season. There was no real balance to the side. Can't blame Wenger for that he literally had no one to play due to injuries. Even look at the bench for that match. Fabianski, Miquel, Lansbury, Ozyakup, Chamakh, Sunu. Says it all really. The one criticism of Wenger that I would have last season was how late it took him to buy first team players that were badly needed which of course had an effect on the terrible start to the season. In saying that all that matters is the final position. If you were offered third at the start of the season baring in mind the terrible start after losing 2 of our most effective players would you not have taken it. For Wenger to leave for me he would have to finish outside the top for 2 seasons running or if we end up around 8th or below.

5. nothing to add.

6. Ye don't think he has lost the dressing room either.

7. ......
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:08pm
"What about the overhaul of the nasty neighbour's 13 point lead?!?! Once our ridiculous injury list shortened a bit, we were able to perform closer to our actual abilities and show again that we are still the better side in North London."

Are you really proud of that ? reallly ...you didn't finish too far ahead of us did you ? Harry got fired because of our drop in form around then ....not too much for the gooners to be getting excited about at all. Remember we had to lose games too for all of this big turnaround to happen ...all while Harry was courting the law and the England role For most of the season Spurs played way better football then you did ...just remember that.

Again just goes to show the extent of your aspirations...to finish higher then us ? big deal! Enjoy it , it wont last forever....and as for right now ...you look like MUGS
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

"What about the overhaul of the nasty neighbour's 13 point lead?!?! Once our ridiculous injury list shortened a bit, we were able to perform closer to our actual abilities and show again that we are still the better side in North London."

Are you really proud of that ? reallly ...you didn't finish too far ahead of us did you ? Harry got fired because of our drop in form around then ....not too much for the gooners to be getting excited about at all. Remember we had to lose games too for all of this big turnaround to happen ...all while Harry was courting the law and the England role For most of the season Spurs played way better football then you did ...just remember that.

Again just goes to show the extent of your aspirations...to finish higher then us ? big deal! Enjoy it , it wont last forever....and as for right now ...you look like MUGS
And what do you have to show for that?...Yes Europa league once again for the mighty spurs. Sure Swansea played better football than you if you want to go down that route. See your point though it isn't a big deal for Arsenal to finish above spurs as it is lets be honest a given however if it were the other way around there would probably be a parade around WHL to celebrate the achievement.
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:46pm
We are not discussing Spurs though are we? We are discussing Arsenal ...for all your resources and stadium and cash ....you scraped past us this year ....it should be a given every year but it's not is it ?

Even Spurs won the carling Cup more recently then your last trophy  ....you could not even beat Brimingham the last time you went to Wembley. You were out of the cup in Jan, no chance whatsovever in the league Cup or the CL .....why do you bother entering at all? Is it all just to do better then Spurs ?....your dumb ass goalie was overjoyed at the prospect of this overhaul...what a dope!.....how this young man, at the tender age of 22, has already sumberged himself into the rivalry ...the mind boggles. Who told him to come out with all the rubbish? he is a joke altogether and would do better to keep his eye on the ball

For all that you have ....you are an absolue disgrace and the yet the Arsenal fans are there for a milking again this year and will follow that French whiney auld bollicks again this year like he some kinds of God ...ye have great patience ...at least we have a go at it and if it's not working we make the changes but you don't have the cojones to do even that

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:09pm

Interesting reading here lads, despite me not agreeing with much of your arguments!! No, it wasn't a rehashed article, and the point about Rice was that there is nobody at Arsenal who is either allowed or capable of questioning the manager. I know Rice has retired. it's just I thought he had retired about 10 seasons ago, given his lack of anything to do with anything when sitting on the bench!! Wink

OK,

I suppose in the first instance it depends upon where you set your sights as an Arsenal Fan. What defines progress or success in the main.

We USED to compete for the Premier league.  We won it a few times, until our great players left or were let go too soon by Arsene. With whom did Arsene replace them? Not other great players, that's for sure.

Both of you referred to us overhauling Spurs last season as being as an achievement of some note. Really?  Forgive me if I think that Arsenal having to clamber over a collapsing Spurs is frankly not good enough from an Arsenal squad whcih has the 3rd largest wage bill in the Premiership.

You both referred to the fact that he doesn't have money to spend on players. Since when? IIRC, Arsene has said he has lots of money to spend on players but will only buy "quality, quality players". So is he lying or is the board? Every season, he has money to spend, and as you rightly pointed out waited FAR too long last season to plug the gaping holes in the team.

Next - on to the dressing room. It doesn't have to be a bitchfest when one loses a dressing room. I believe the ambitious players (some say greed and ambition are the same thing..!!) just don't believe him any more - that to me is losing the dressing room as well.

If Cesc, Nasri, Adebayor, Diarra, Henry,  Cole, and possibly RVP have left to win things, why didn't they stay with Arsene, who promises us every year that we will "win things" until round about March when this mantra changes to "competing with every drop of our blood" to challenge for a champions league place.

Those of us who remember the invincibles know that Arsene let too many of them go far too soon, in pursuit of his utterly failed "project Youth"  - Pires, Freddy, Lauren for instance should have been kept for longer. Would he listen - nope - Arsene's way or the highway. That's a dangerous and ultimately damning situation for any club to be in.  With whom did Arsenal replace those 3?

As a parallel, Giggs and Scholes have been kept for their experience. Who does Arsene keep on?

The Ox
I had been watching this guys progress from 3 years ago via another Arsenal mailing list so I was delighted when he signed.  (Bit patronising of you to assume I don't/didnt want youth in the team!!)  I want quality, whether they're 16, 26 or 36. If Arsene truly knows, then he knows which players he needs. So why are they not arriving, and why are the great ones departing?

Someone said the Ox was huffing and puffing at the Man U game????? Really??? So whom did Arsene Bring on to replace the guy who had changed that game - Andre Arhsavin!!!!! Mr. Fitness himself..!! You couldn't make it up. Watch the video of the game if you don't believe me..!!

Injuries.
Please, don't embarrass yourself with this argument. Every club plays the same number of games, more or less. However, we win the league EVERY season with the most injuries - check out www.physioroom.com if you dont believe me..!! What does that tell you? Either our conditioning regime or backup medical team sucks, and Arsene is responsible in this area. I remember Van Persie being treated with horse placenta not so long ago, whcih kept him out for how many additional months?

Incidentally, it's just a bizarre co-incidence that RVPs fittest (and only fully fit season for Arsenal) season arrives the season before he intimates he wants to leave Arsenal. 

Arsene is incapable of recognising that the football world has moved on and as such, just like Trappatoni, needs to move aside if Arsenal are to clamber BACK to the top table in world Football.

For instance, how have our CL performances been since Paris - the same, better, or worse?
How has our Premiership form been in the last number of seasons since the Invincibles? - the same, better, or worse?

Arsenal used to win things. All things being the same, would you put money on Arsenal to win the Prem this season? Or the CL? Or even the FA Cup. Have we invested enough to compete at the top again?

I see us becoming like Liverpool if we continue - a very big club, with very little ambition from the board and a manager who is on huge money, happy to take it, and protect the decsions of the board.

One mentioned that we were unlucky not to win a Trophy in 2010/2011??? Huh????
We threw it away. do you not remember the goal which gave it to Birmingham? Have either Kocielny or Szec become better players since then? Have a look at Szec's end of season if you like. Also, Koc is a continual accident waiting to happen, much and all as he shows great passion. He is found out against good players, every time.

I go back to my original point here. many Arsenal fans are happy to continue along this slow gradual decline into mediocrity, which is where we currently are heading. I'm not, as I fully believe Arsenal have the infrastructure, the money and the setup to compete with anyone at any time. 

someone asked for other managers - good question.  For the money Arsene is on, there are many who whould leap at the job.  I'll have a think about a replacement, but it's not going to happen as the board have a manager who is happy with them, and vice versa.

Edited by greengooner - 06 Jul 2012 at 3:13pm
To drink all your beer,
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

We are not discussing Spurs though are we? We are discussing Arsenal ...for all your resources and stadium and cash ....you scraped past us this year ....it should be a given every year but it's not is it ?

Even Spurs won the carling Cup more recently then your last trophy  ....you could not even beat Brimingham the last time you went to Wembley. You were out of the cup in Jan, no chance whatsovever in the league Cup or the CL .....why do you bother entering at all? Is it all just to do better then Spurs ?....your dumb ass goalie was overjoyed at the prospect of this overhaul...what a dope!.....how this young man, at the tender age of 22, has already sumberged himself into the rivalry ...the mind boggles. Who told him to come out with all the rubbish? he is a joke altogether and would do better to keep his eye on the ball

For all that you have ....you are an absolue disgrace and the yet the Arsenal fans are there for a milking again this year and will follow that French whiney auld bollicks again this year like he some kinds of God ...ye have great patience ...at least we have a go at it and if it's not working we make the changes but you don't have the cojones to do even that

Well we are discussing spurs when you get involved in a conversation aren't we. I say fair play to Levy etc seems to be doing a good job and showing ambition which Gazidis and the Arsenal board are not. Levy seems to be the one making things happen with the likes of Vertonghen and Sigurdsson and is not afraid to make tough calls like sacking Redknapp. 

Most Arsenal fans are not happy with the running of the club and want kroenke and Gazidis gone with Usmanoz and Dein replacing them. You speak about Arsenal's resources as an advantage over spurs which is far from the truth. Sure what good is it doing the football club when it all goes back into their pockets and Wenger see's very little of it for transfers etc. 

As for the carling cup Arsenal have nearly always used it as a platform to give young players experience and did again this year for the most part. Can't defend the loss against Birmingham in the final as they obviously should have won the game on paper but didn't turn up. Where you not praising Szczensy yesterday LOL? Ye he should probably keep his opinions to himself a bit more as he is over confident and I don't like the way he always tries to skin forwards in his own 6 yard box as he will be caught one day.

Could ask you the same question about entering competitions for the sake of it sure what is Tottenham's trophy record like 1 trophy in 13 years is it? nothing really to be shouting about there.
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:25pm
Szczensy...=good keeper but big mouth ...he needs to mature

We have less to be spouting about true but our stadium capacity is only 36 k not 60k like yours...we have had to try to repair mangerial appointments every couple of years for the past 10 at least ...where as Arsenal have had stability.

At least we have aspirations but lame excuses

It appears to me that The Arsenal have neither and have had no excuses since "The Invincibles"....yuo should have gone from strength to strength but instead truied to pay off the stadium in super quick time.....this however may all pay off in the next few years as you have a fine ground all paid for making all you revenue usable ......what will the board do with those funds?

As for Spurs ....we are spending merrily right now with no guarantees of anything ....its a big punt i hope pasy off

BUT the new stadium could kill us altother if AVB does not get success
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:40pm
http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/an-open-letter-to-persie_official/ 

I admire the passion, but can't see it having any effect!! Lot of truth in it.

To drink all your beer,
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:59pm

Interesting reading here lads, despite me not agreeing with much of your arguments!! No, it wasn't a rehashed article, and the point about Rice was that there is nobody at Arsenal who is either allowed or capable of questioning the manager. I know Rice has retired. it's just I thought he had retired about 10 seasons ago, given his lack of anything to do with anything when sitting on the bench!! Wink

OK,

I suppose in the first instance it depends upon where you set your sights as an Arsenal Fan. What defines progress or success in the main.

We USED to compete for the Premier league.  We won it a few times, until our great players left or were let go too soon by Arsene. With whom did Arsene replace them? Not other great players, that's for sure.

Both of you referred to us overhauling Spurs last season as being as an achievement of some note. Really?  Forgive me if I think that Arsenal having to clamber over a collapsing Spurs is frankly not good enough from an Arsenal squad whcih has the 3rd largest wage bill in the Premiership.

You both referred to the fact that he doesn't have money to spend on players. Since when? IIRC, Arsene has said he has lots of money to spend on players but will only buy "quality, quality players". So is he lying or is the board? Every season, he has money to spend, and as you rightly pointed out waited FAR too long last season to plug the gaping holes in the team.

Next - on to the dressing room. It doesn't have to be a bitchfest when one loses a dressing room. I believe the ambitious players (some say greed and ambition are the same thing..!!) just don't believe him any more - that to me is losing the dressing room as well.

If Cesc, Nasri, Adebayor, Diarra, Henry,  Cole, and possibly RVP have left to win things, why didn't they stay with Arsene, who promises us every year that we will "win things" until round about March when this mantra changes to "competing with every drop of our blood" to challenge for a champions league place.

Those of us who remember the invincibles know that Arsene let too many of them go far too soon, in pursuit of his utterly failed "project Youth"  - Pires, Freddy, Lauren for instance should have been kept for longer. Would he listen - nope - Arsene's way or the highway. That's a dangerous and ultimately damning situation for any club to be in.  With whom did Arsenal replace those 3?

As a parallel, Giggs and Scholes have been kept for their experience. Who does Arsene keep on?

The Ox
I had been watching this guys progress from 3 years ago via another Arsenal mailing list so I was delighted when he signed.  (Bit patronising of you to assume I don't/didnt want youth in the team!!)  I want quality, whether they're 16, 26 or 36. If Arsene truly knows, then he knows which players he needs. So why are they not arriving, and why are the great ones departing?

Someone said the Ox was huffing and puffing at the Man U game????? Really??? So whom did Arsene Bring on to replace the guy who had changed that game - Andre Arhsavin!!!!! Mr. Fitness himself..!! You couldn't make it up. Watch the video of the game if you don't believe me..!!

Injuries.
Please, don't embarrass yourself with this argument. Every club plays the same number of games, more or less. However, we win the league EVERY season with the most injuries - check out www.physioroom.com if you dont believe me..!! What does that tell you? Either our conditioning regime or backup medical team sucks, and Arsene is responsible in this area. I remember Van Persie being treated with horse placenta not so long ago, whcih kept him out for how many additional months?

Incidentally, it's just a bizarre co-incidence that RVPs fittest (and only fully fit season for Arsenal) season arrives the season before he intimates he wants to leave Arsenal. 

Arsene is incapable of recognising that the football world has moved on and as such, just like Trappatoni, needs to move aside if Arsenal are to clamber BACK to the top table in world Football.

For instance, how have our CL performances been since Paris - the same, better, or worse?
How has our Premiership form been in the last number of seasons since the Invincibles? - the same, better, or worse?

Arsenal used to win things. All things being the same, would you put money on Arsenal to win the Prem this season? Or the CL? Or even the FA Cup. Have we invested enough to compete at the top again?

I see us becoming like Liverpool if we continue - a very big club, with very little ambition from the board and a manager who is on huge money, happy to take it, and protect the decsions of the board.

We threw it away. do you not remember the goal which gave it to Birmingham? Have either Kocielny or Szec become better players since then? Have a look at Szec's end of season if you like. Also, Koc is a continual accident waiting to happen, much and all as he shows great passion. He is found out against good players, every time.

I go back to my original point here. many Arsenal fans are happy to continue along this slow gradual decline into mediocrity, which is where we currently are heading. I'm not, as I fully believe Arsenal have the infrastructure, the money and the setup to compete with anyone at any time. 

someone asked for other managers - good question.  For the money Arsene is on, there are many who whould leap at the job.  I'll have a think about a replacement, but it's not going to happen as the board have a manager who is happy with them, and vice versa.

You see the thing I don't agree with you on is you put the blame pretty much solely on Wenger's shoulders. I agree with a lot of your post but I think the blame lies elsewhere.

I don't think it is any coincidence that Arsenal have not won any trophies since the move in to the Emirates. It was really around that point that a change in policy had to take place. In order to pay back the stadium debt Arsenal had to start producing more players from the academy to be introduced in to the team as they could not afford to pay large fee's due to restrictions from the stadium. Basically Arsenal replaced the likes of Vieira through youth policy and bargain buys.

As for your question who is lying about having money to spend. Well I put up an article early with quotes from Wenger saying he needs to make between 15-20 million a year. so I think that answers the question. I know Wenger has said before that he does have money to spend but the stats would suggest other wise. He is hardly not spending money for the sake of it. It does not reflect well on any kind of business/ club especially a big club like Arsenal if the manager says he has no money to spend. Arsenal fans know that one of the richest men in Russia holds 30% of the club. If Wenger was to say he has no money it would put huge pressure on the current owner and board to sell the club which is exactly what they don't want.

Agree with the point about the medical team as it is an absolute joke the amount of injuries there are and there are an awful lot of misdiagnoses like Wilshere's last year who was meant to be out for a couple of weeks.

Don't see how the football world has moved on from Wenger. After the invincibles he bought small technical players to try and pass teams to death in the middle of the pitch. And one of the best teams that the world have ever seen are yes that kind of exact player. It just has not worked in the PL unfortunately. While Trap on the other hand is the exact opposite.

Lets not kid ourselves we were never exactly great in the champions league and we did reach another semi-final since then and have been un lucky to draw Barcelona twice in that time so seasonal results in the champions league have not fluctuated too much.

I would love to see what Arsene could do with the money Liverpool's owners threw at Dalgleish.

You can't honestly say Koscielny has not improved since the Carling cup defeat. He was excellent this year and possibly Arsenal's 2nd best player behind RVP. Stats wise Koscielny got in the PL team of the year last season and as for found out against good players every time .... I suppose Messi is very average and he got man of the match for France against Spain in his only appearence in the Euro's

Don't know any Arsenal fans happy to see them fall into decline hence they want a change of board with money invested into the club. Money should now be available due to most of the debt being payed off yet season ticket prices rise nearly every year and very little of it goes to transfers.
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 4:21pm
a lot of good points GG, i agree with most of them. as an arsenal supporter, i find it really troubling how we have gradually but consistently been moving further and further away from the top level of european teams in recent year. first it was cole, then flamini,adebayor, cesc & nasri, and now RVP. wish we would actually spend the money when it matters...we could have had the 35m necessary for aguero. i think podolski is a good signing, and giroud could do okay, but without RVP we will be a much, much weaker team, and lets face it evidence doesnt suggest we will spend it. how players like chamakh, djourou, squillaci, vela, bentdner, denilson, etc are actually still on our books (loaned out or not) is ridiculous. facing the facts- man utd/city, chelsea are miles ahead of us and spurs are catching up quick. i always believed in arsene but if things dont turn around this year- and if im honest i cant see us winning the title or the cl, so a trophy will have to come from a domestic cup- then i think its time for a change 
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 5:27pm

It was a lot easier back then for us to sign top players. Our inability to sign top players commenced due to Abramovich's appearance. Chelsea could sign whoever they wanted, we had to live off the scraps. Utd had the tag of 'the biggest club in the world' to entice player, we were a club who were doing very well on the pitch, but still wouldn't pay much in relation to the other big clubs.

Yes, I'm afraid that was an achievement last season. Spurs had a very good first half of the season, and genuinely looked like the third best team in the league - they liked to think of themselves as title contenders but that is something they never were. However, once our injury list improved we went on a good run whilst they had their bad run, so it was a good achievement. And that's regardless of whether it was Spurs or Sunderland who we overtook, we overtook the team in third place in order to qualify for the CL automatically.

Of course I'd love to be competing for the league etc, but it's just not realistic at all at the moment. Man City should be winning the league every single year with their resources, Chelsea should be coming second, and Utd third. The only way that can change that is if our board decide to spend a bit more money, but even then we can only compete financially with Utd. Therefore, the only way to try to get the upper hand with what Arsene is being given is by trying to find gems out of nowhere or by staying on the ball and acting early when players become available - which I do consider to be a weakness of Arsenal.

Straight from the horse's mouth, Gazidis admitted that we can't compete financially with the others so we have to concentrate on youth. I don't think you can argue that point now:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7468254/

As I said in my last point, I do agree that we are far too slow in signing players. Whether that's Arsene's fault or the board's I don't know, but we certainly need to act faster in future. We certainly wouldn't have had such a bad start last season if we had made our signings earlier.

I don't think it's a matter of them not trusting Wenger:

Cesc - Wanted to return to his childhood club, who are arguably the best ever club team, can't argue with that.

Nasri - Money grabber.

Adebayor - Egotistical money grabber.

Diarra - Ha! Couldn't get a game for us, that's why he left despite what he says.

Henry - Again, went to Barcelona so you can't argue with that.

Cole - Erm I think we all know this was about the money, he even said so in his book!!

OK, perhaps it would've been good for the younger players to have the experienced players at the club to guide them a bit, but the fact is the invincibles were at the latter stages of their careers. Pires was a shadow of himself in his final year at Arsenal, and Ljungberg proved after he left that it was the right time for him to leave. Hleb was an outstanding signing, he just lacked the final product sometimes. And yes, he did leave too but that was for Barcelona again! Eboue was outstanding at right back for a couple of years when he replaced Lauren, and Sagna is not a bad replacement at all!

The Ox

I agree about Arshavin not being the man to put in the workrate, but Ox's stamina was definitely gone, I remember the game. It's a catch 22, leave on a guy who's out of stamina because of all the work he's put in, or bring on a guy who won't run anyway.

Injuries.

Very strange point you make here...you tell me not to embarass myself by saying that injuries have badly affected us, then you prove the point that they have badly affected us?!? Anyway, yes I agree that there must be something wrong in our physiotherapy and fitness procedures. We used to have a very good injury record but for some reason it has got very bad in recent years. This is something that needs to be improved, but my point was that if it was not for us having so many injuries we would perform much better every season. As you said yourself, we have more injuries than anyone else!!!

Obviously we have got worse, and the rest of our discussion covers the reasoning for this.

We threw it away. do you not remember the goal which gave it to Birmingham? Have either Kocielny or Szec become better players since then? Have a look at Szec's end of season if you like. Also, Koc is a continual accident waiting to happen, much and all as he shows great passion. He is found out against good players, every time..

My point about being unlucky was referring to the nature of the goal! They have both gained more experience since that goal so I'm sure it wouldn't happen again. Ok, it shouldn't have even got to that point, we should've had the game won by then, but it was a freak goal. Szec is prone to the odd error, but most keepers are. He's definitely an improvement on Almunia and he's still only young so will only get better. Koscielny has come on in leaps and bounds in the past couple of years, he's certainly not far off the current standard (if at all) of Ferdinand, Lescott and Cahill (the second best centre halves of the title contenders). I can't say I agree at all that he gets found out against good players every time.

Obviously I'm not happy about our gradual decline. I'm as frustrated as you about where we are going, but I just don't agree with who a lot of Arsenal fans, including you, are aiming the blame at (Arsene Wenger), and how to solve the problem (sack him). I feel the problem lies in our transfer strategy, which was outlined by Gazidis in my earlier link. None of us are within the club, so we cannot truly comment on whether we have the ability to spend more money without putting the future of the club at risk. If it would be reasonable to spend more on transfers and wages and still survive comfortably, then the board are not doing their job properly. But, like I said, we do not know the in-depth details of the financial situation so for us it's just pure speculation. There's no point saying 'we need to spend loads on players and wages to compete' if it's not within our financial capabilities!

Well to argue that Wenger needs to go is absolutely ridiculous if you can't suggest a better alternative!!! That is absolutely the most frustrating thing about this whole argument from Arsenal fans. It's like sitting in a bar while you're desperate for a drink, deciding you're not too keen on the bar and suggesting that you leave for a better bar even though there isn't a better one! For me, this is the most important part of your arguement, so I think you really need to think of an answer to give your arguement more credibility.

Anyway, like I said before, I'm glad you are actually backing up your opinions with a decent discussion unlike the majority of the others who say Wenger needs to leave.
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 229>
  Share Topic