You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Arsenal thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 226227228229>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 1:20pm
I must admit that as a Spurs fan, I'm now actually worried by this Arsenal team, since they are clearly now contenders, unlike in previous seasons, where they continually flattered to deceive.

Though I say "contenders", secure in the knowledge that with Man City so dominant, Arsenal are still only contending for 2nd place, rather than the title.

As to whether they'll make 2nd, they're helped by the fact that Liverpool have already got too much to do to aim for anything higher than top four, while Chelsea are still in transition (owners, manager etc), so may not challenge for 2nd this season.

How far can Arsenal go this season? I think they've got two worries, the first being squad size, as already noted. The other is experience, in the sense that theyre still not "battle-hardened", and won't be until they've actually battled their way to the front and stayed there.

Since for all that they have talented young players who may be fearless etc, most of them have never faced a full 38 game season, plus Europe and the cups, with all the pressure and expectation that that brings. (Nor has their manager.)

All that said, they do have momentum and as history shows, 'Big Mo' is often the most important player in any team - see eg Leicester in 2015/16.
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 4:41am
I think they'll be able to cope with in most positions except Partey and Jesus. In Partey's case, he's always been injury-prone, Elneny is the only replacement and he has a long-term injury, and depending on who you believe, could face criminal charges soon. In Jesus' situation, he's never played a full season as a guaranteed starter, and no one in the squad offers what he can.

2nd is the best they'll do this season. The condition of the players after the WC will determine how sustainable the challenge for 2nd is, like with the other contenders. Europe isn't a huge problem for now as they're playing lesser opposition so are able to rotate the squad. The further they go, that luxury might not be available.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 2:17pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 6:30pm

The Gooners bottle has completely gone.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 6:31pm

Fair play to the Gooners tonight but can't see them being EPL winners come May. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 6:38pm
Premier league is wide open in my view. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 6:40pm
Arsenal deserved that
Very dull game of football 
Not sure how Kovacic didn’t get sent off 
With no Rodri and no Dr Bruyne, City didn’t seem to have any ideas. 
Jury out on the summer signings for me for City 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 4:48am
City much better in the first half. Arsenal probably deserved it based on the 2nd half. Just about though.

For a keeper who was brought in because he's meant to be better with his feet and better on crosses, Raya couldn't have had a worse 1st half.

Kovacic should have been sent off. 

City still favourites but at least it keeps it interesting.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 10:24am
Beggars belief that Kovacic wasnt sent off, particularly when you see Jota's 2 yellows the week beforehand. Michael Oliver (who I used to rate as a ref) was one of those off reffing in the UAE. Again, not a good look for PGMOL.
Idah Dream!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I know it's early days and the January window and injuries will be critical factors but I think Spurs will be genuine challengers this season.

They have a quality manager.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 10:38am
City will win the league by 10+ points!

Nice of them to give a few of the “rivals” a bit of hope early in the season mind.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I know it's early days and the January window and injuries will be critical factors but I think Spurs will be genuine challengers this season.

They have a quality manager.

Huge lack of squad depth esp in crucial areas such as centre back and holding midfielder and striker.  

Lose Romero/ VDV, Bissouma, Maddison or Son and in serious bother. 

April early May also is a tough run of games for them.  Newcastle and Liverpool away and City and Arsenal at home. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 10:57am
Can't see Spurs challenging - far too big a leap for them to go from 8th to challenging for the title and as Baldie says - there's not enough depth there when inevitable injuries/suspensions start happening. They'd need a miracle season like Leicester had to win the league 
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

City will win the league by 10+ points!

Nice of them to give a few of the “rivals” a bit of hope early in the season mind.

They will. They do this every year and reel people into thinking there is an actual title race. 2nd half of the season they won't drop any points.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 12:28pm
It was an even game, with both teams showing little ambition. A draw would have been fair result.

City would be happy with 7 wins from 8 had they beaten Wolves. Losing away vs Arsenal is acceptable.

It shows how influential Rodri is. Badly missed.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

It was an even game, with both teams showing little ambition. A draw would have been fair result.

City would be happy with 7 wins from 8 had they beaten Wolves. Losing away vs Arsenal is acceptable.

Missed 3 games with his ban and lost all 3

The game he came back for in the CL they were back to their dominant best. Has long been City's most important player.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Missed 3 games with his ban and lost all 3

The game he came back for in the CL they were back to their dominant best. Has long been City's most important player.

Agreed! Should be in with a shout to win the Ballon D’or this year, I would have him ahead of Haaland.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 9:34pm

Huge win for the Gooners tonight now third top.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 226227228229>
  Share Topic