You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Arsenal thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 229>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:13pm
Where they finish shouldn't be how he is judged. Wenger was there for a long time, everyone expected a very difficult transition, so he had exceeded expectations even if they finish 6th. 

Next season should be about getting the right defenders in, and if Ozil and Ramsey are gone a top level midfielder 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Where they finish shouldn't be how he is judged. Wenger was there for a long time, everyone expected a very difficult transition, so he had exceeded expectations even if they finish 6th. 

Next season should be about getting the right defenders in, and if Ozil and Ramsey are gone a top level midfielder 

With that squad the minimum expectation was 6th.
Any less and he should be sacked.

You don’t get paid £6M a year and expect not to be judged.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 11 Mar 2019 at 4:41pm

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:03pm
Agree that there will be expectation being on such a big salary and any time being Arsenal manager. If Emery gets top 4 though he deserves a lot of credit, as that squad is hugely unbalanced. It would take him another couple of years to get anything like the squad he would want imo.

Leno starting to look like a very good acquisition after a shaky enough start to his Arsenal career. Thought Kolasinac was very good yesterday. Could be a brilliant player for Arsenal over the next couple of years in the right system.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:43pm
I an in London this week for work, if anybody could source me a ticket for the arsenal game Thursday pleas PM me. Tickets not on general sale 
GWAN YBIG
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

I an in London this week for work, if anybody could source me a ticket for the arsenal game Thursday pleas PM me. Tickets not on general sale 

Touts will be hanging around the exit of Arsenal station. They'll be desperate to get rid of tickets 10-15 minutes before KO on Thursday evening. Should get one for less than FV.

In the meantime log in over the next few evenings to see if Arsenal put the tickets on general sale. You might then be able to pick up a ticket for the north bank on ticket exchange.

Edited by colemanY2K - 11 Mar 2019 at 6:05pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

With that squad the minimum expectation was 6th.
Any less and he should be sacked.

You don’t get paid £6M a year and expect not to be judged.

I'd imagine the minimum expectation was to improve on last season. Any manager who finishes 6th with either of the 4 clubs vying for 3rd & 4th spot will find their job rightly under threat, regardless of the squad they have to work, salary they get paid, and the fact that 4 huge clubs are fighting for 2 places.

As for Kolasinac HM, he was good going forward but very weak defensively. As a WB, he didn't help Monreal much at all and United exploited that a lot, especially in the first half.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:33am
Don't rate Kolasinac at at all. Thought Maitland-Niles was excellent.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 12 Mar 2019 at 7:34am
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:36am
Expected a lot more this season from Kolasinac tbh. Maitland-Niles has had a difficult season confidence-wise but played very well in the 2nd half.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:38am
Think there needs to be far better players around Kolasinac. Definitely weaknesses in his game defensively, but is exceptional going forward on his day. Monreal who I like as a player, isn't anywhere near good enough to play in a back 3 and make up for what Kolasinac lacks defensively. Neither is the likes of Xhaka good enough defensively to cover such attacking players. So the game turned into something like ping pong on Sunday, back and forth, wide open teams. Tbf to Emery, he can only work with what he has and I think that 3/4 good purchases and Arsenal could look a totally different unit under him. If he finishes 3rd or 4th this season, imo that is a great start to his Arsenal career.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:50am
Money is "tight" with reports recently of Arsenal having only 40-50 million to spend in the summer.

With a number of players leaving in the summer it should provide some headroom in the salary department. However the  club will have to sell to invest if it wants 3 or 4 players. 

There's a good nucleus. The question now is whether Arsenal can attract enough of the right calibre of player to build on what they already have got. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:50pm
Will Ozil be sold Coleman?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:55pm

What would he do with him?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:07pm

That's the million dollar question. He has been in and out of the team this season which suggests Emery is not happy with his performances. The issue would be finding a buyer for a 30 year old player on 350k a week who is only half-arsed. Tis like playing with 10 players at times.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

That's the million dollar question. He has been in and out of the team this season which suggests Emery is not happy with his performances. The issue would be finding a buyer for a 30 year old player on 350k a week who is only half-arsed. Tis like playing with 10 players at times.

I can think of one team who would be willing to splash cash on another  half arsed bottler

Related image

As far as I know they tried for him in January so they may come back in for him in the summer

Edited by lassassinblanc - 12 Mar 2019 at 1:48pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I can think of one team who would be willing to splash cash on another  half arsed bottler

Related image

As far as I know they tried for him in January so they may come back in for him in the summer
Haha I would snap off anyone's hand if they were willing to sign Ozil. Below is a very good article on the subject from December.  

Ken Early: Odd man out Özil a luxury Emery and Arsenal cannot afford

In May this year, soon after leaving his role as coach of PSG, Unai Emery gave an interview to the journalist Marti Perarnau which touched on the theme of leadership at a football club.

Emery cited a quote from Jorge Valdano to the effect that, at Barcelona, the leader is Lionel Messi. At Real Madrid, it’s Florentino Perez. And at Atletico Madrid, it’s Diego Simeone. A player, a president, and a coach: the only thing they have in common is that each of them is the undisputed leading figure at the club.

“In every club you know exactly your place, and exactly the place you are given by the whole group,” Emery said.

“In my opinion, today PSG’s leader is Neymar. Or rather it will be Neymar. He is still in the process of being the leader.”

In his discreet way Emery was making it plain that he did not consider Neymar to be ideal leadership material – at least not yet. But he wasn’t really complaining either. He is a realist. He understood that Neymar’s status as the marquee signing and franchise player placed him beyond the authority of any manager.

“The first thing I did this season was to establish my priorities; I have to keep Neymar happy, that is the first thing. Keep him happy,” Emery said.

This new priority had necessitated a change in his approach to the group.

“A few months ago, a PSG player told me: ‘Mister, you have changed this year’. Well, of course I have, I cannot be the same with and without Neymar in the team.”

He did not illustrate his talk about Neymar with any of the more lurid sort of anecdotes about the star’s attitude and behaviour, some of which have been reported by journalists such as Diego Torres at El País.

But you did not have to read too far between the lines to detect Emery’s regret that he had not been able to impose more of his own personality on the job. His kid-gloves handling of Neymar had brought neither success nor respect. Instead the critics dismissed him as weak. He sounded like a man who had decided that, wherever he ended up next, he would not fail again in the same way.

When Arsenal sacked Arsène Wenger at the end of last season they lost the leader who had defined the club for 22 years. The role is now up for grabs.

Technically gifted

The last major decision Arsenal took during Wenger’s time at the club was to give Mesut Özil a new contract worth £15 million a year until 2021 – a decision Wenger is said to have opposed, but which the club took anyway because they didn’t want a repeat of the Alexis Sanchez departure to Manchester United.

The new contract made Özil the best-paid player at the club, and as he was already arguably the most technically gifted player, he was solidly in contention to be Arsenal’s Neymar. He may even have assumed that this was his new status.

Özil’s problem is that Emery will be damned if he lets another star player dictate the terms at the new Arsenal. If Emery is going to succeed there it will be because he has convinced his players to believe in his way of doing things. And his way is quite different from what they have been used to.

Wenger believed that football was an art form that was primarily about self-expression. Emery has a more old-fashioned sort of idea: football is competition and the most important thing in competition is resistance to pain.

As he told Perarnau: “Being competitive is to know how to suffer. Suffer like Simeone’s team do to win. Suffer like Pep’s does to win in England.”

And suffering is a long way from Özil’s idea of what the game is all about.

A 5-1 defeat at Anfield is a setback for Emery. In mitigation, Arsenal fans are used to losing heavily at Liverpool. Last season they lost there 4-0 and it’s less than five years since their last 5-1 defeat at the same ground.

The Liverpool and Arsenal teams are both almost unrecognisable from that day in February 2014. Only a few starting players from that match remain at the same clubs: for Liverpool: Jordan Henderson, Daniel Sturridge and Simon Mignolet, for Arsenal: Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal and Mesut Özil.

Liverpool’s manager at the time, Brendan Rodgers, would later describe his tactics for the match in a video for The Coaches’ Voice. In a nutshell, Liverpool’s game plan was to wait until Özil dropped into midfield to receive the ball, then press him, win possession, and set Sterling and Sturridge flying through the centre past Arsenal’s slow defenders. As Rodgers was happy to explain in what was billed as a tactical “Masterclass”, it worked a treat.

So even five years ago, when Özil was 25 and presumably as full of running as at any point in his career, Arsenal’s opponents were already targeting him as a weak link. Nothing has happened since then to make you believe he has addressed the shortcomings that Rodgers tried to exploit that day.

Long-term weakness

Since Özil arrived in the Premier League in 2013, no player has assisted more league goals or created more chances. Many would argue that such a record speaks for itself; how can a creator like this not make the starting team? These voices become louder every time Özil doesn’t play and Arsenal don’t win.

Yet from Emery’s point of view the priority has to be to address Arsenal’s long-term weakness in defence. Arsenal can score goals with or without Özil; they are the fourth-highest scorers in the league. But they have already conceded 30 goals, which makes it their worst defensive performance after 20 league matches since the 1960s.

This team is simply not strong enough to carry a player who essentially stops participating when his team loses the ball. That is before you consider the effect of Özil’s example on the rest of the players, on whom Emery is trying to impress the supreme importance of knowing how to suffer.

A power struggle with his best-paid player is the last thing Emery needs, but he learned at PSG that sometimes you can do your utmost to avoid conflict, and still end up losing the battle. Don’t bet on him being so diplomatic a second time around.

Edited by colemanY2K - 12 Mar 2019 at 2:16pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Expected a lot more this season from Kolasinac tbh. Maitland-Niles has had a difficult season confidence-wise but played very well in the 2nd half.

I have to say this lad has come on leaps and bounds in the second half of the season. Probably the most improved player in the squad this season. A brilliant full back/wing back in the making.

Edited by colemanY2K - 04 Apr 2019 at 12:09pm
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:39pm
Arsenal confirm that they are in talks with Celtic over Kieran Tierney.

"Arsenal are in talks with Celtic to sign Scotland defender Kieran Tierney.

The Premier League club had a £15m bid rejected by the Scottish champions but are expected to return with an improved offer for the 22-year-old.

There is optimism that an agreement will be reached between the two clubs, and personal terms are not expected to be a stumbling block.

Tierney has only played sporadically this year because of a hernia problem and is recuperating from surgery."

I know that there's a few Arsenal fans on YBIG, how do you lads feel about Tierney signing and potentially paying perhaps in excess of £20,000,000 for a Scottish Premiership player ?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:35pm
Celtic would be mental to sell for £20m when English full backs of less quality are going for double that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 229>
  Share Topic