You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Arsenal thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 229>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 3:47am
Deserved nothing from that game yesterday. A defence consisting of Mustafi, Holding, and Xhaka is going to get you nowhere. Hopefully it will serve as a kick up the hole and get rid of any complacency after that winning run. 

I've said it on here before but Mustafi is absolutely brutal.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm
The atmosphere for the Spurs game and I think it was Liverpool as well, were much different to anything I can recall hearing at the new stadium. I was at a game there once and vowed I'd never go near the place, they won 4 -0 and it was terrible
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:23pm
I'd been wondering who Emery reminded me of when he's going crazy on the side lines... If he'd a pair of brown driving gloves and a sickly green pullover it's Alan Partridge 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:00am
Hippy Crack? Whats the story? Drugs?  Do we need PK on it?
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:04am
Nothing wrong with it
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:33pm
I wonder what Arsene Wenger must be thinking when he watches Arsenal's progress this season?

For though it pains me to admit it, they've generally been very good, indeed excellent at times. 

And when you consider that Emery's selections* (and tactics even) aren't that much different from last season, then it becomes ever more evident that the team's failings in recent years were basically down to one man, and his refusal to change and update his methods and practices, even while other clubs were leaving them far behind.

* - Apparently one of the things which impressed the Arsenal board at interview was that Emery said he wasn't demanding to make wholesale changes to the playing staff, unlike Arteta (the other leading candidate)
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 4:37am
Starting to hear from former players about the lack of coaching the players did receive over the last few years. Szceszney and Fabianski were very critical of Gerry Peyton as their GK coach. It will still take time to sort out the defence. Sokratis looks good, despite his brain fart in nearly conceding a penalty in the final minutes against Huddersfield. Bellerin has improved after 18 months of regression, but need another CB and a LB who isn't as injury prone as Monreal. Still unconvinced by Leno too.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:20pm
Training methods, lack of fitness in comparison to other top sides, lack of pre match preparation. All these issues were being leaked out over the past few years and it was no surprise when you saw Arsenal on the pitch. Wengers time was up, and I'm guessing you have to lose a bit of that hunger for the battle and also a willingness to change, after being in that position for so long. Even though Wenger would never admit that. 

Emery is a quality manager and if they give him the time he'll turn it around. Patience is the key as they are in a serious fight to make top 4, and hopefully if they don't make it the fans keep patience with the manager going forward.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:57pm
Arsenal can only afford to loan players during the January transfer window and cannot make permanent signings, says manager Unai Emery.
The Gunners, who signed five first-team players in the summer window, have been strongly linked with a move for Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez.
"I don't know now his [Suarez's] situation but we can only sign on a loan," Emery said.
"We cannot sign permanently. We can only loan players."

I know they spent decent money on transfers in the summer (£70m on four players) and £56m on Aubameyang last January, but that's hardly outrageous spending by the standards of a leading PL club.

And since they've always had a reputation for being a prudently-run club financially, I can only think they have a massive wage bill, including players on long contracts they can't offload easily, and/or players about to run down their contract who can leave on a free.

In which case, this must surely be yet another indictment of Wenger's final stewardship of the playing squad/wage structure.

Or Kronke really is one tight-fisted individual.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Arsenal can only afford to loan players during the January transfer window and cannot make permanent signings, says manager Unai Emery.
The Gunners, who signed five first-team players in the summer window, have been strongly linked with a move for Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez.
"I don't know now his [Suarez's] situation but we can only sign on a loan," Emery said.
"We cannot sign permanently. We can only loan players."

I know they spent decent money on transfers in the summer (£70m on four players) and £56m on Aubameyang last January, but that's hardly outrageous spending by the standards of a leading PL club.

And since they've always had a reputation for being a prudently-run club financially, I can only think they have a massive wage bill, including players on long contracts they can't offload easily, and/or players about to run down their contract who can leave on a free.

In which case, this must surely be yet another indictment of Wenger's final stewardship of the playing squad/wage structure.

Possibly a combination of both. In relation to the former, Ozil being offered a huge contract renewal just before Wenger left is another valid argument to criticise the 2nd half of his tenure manager. 

As you said, for a club that prides itself on how it is run, the board and previous management made some colossal errors over the last 8/9 years. Ramsey could easily be sold for 40 million, but he's another who will leave for free.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Possibly a combination of both. In relation to the former, Ozil being offered a huge contract renewal just before Wenger left is another valid argument to criticise the 2nd half of his tenure manager. 

As you said, for a club that prides itself on how it is run, the board and previous management made some colossal errors over the last 8/9 years. Ramsey could easily be sold for 40 million, but he's another who will leave for free.
Wilshere was another colossal screw-up. It's kinda been admitted that Arsenal didn't treat his ankle injuries properly, hence his complete absence during 2011/12 and subsequent patchy appearance record.

Yet they gave him a 5 1/2 year contract in 2012, despite his only proving fit enough to play 88 league games for them during the next six seasons, plus 27 on loan with B'mouth. (Also had "lifestyle issues" along the way).

They then had to let him go on a free. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:47am

Wilshere was another colossal screw-up. It's kinda been admitted that Arsenal didn't treat his ankle injuries properly, hence his complete absence during 2011/12 and subsequent patchy appearance record.

Yet they gave him a 5 1/2 year contract in 2012, despite his only proving fit enough to play 88 league games for them during the next six seasons, plus 27 on loan with B'mouth. (Also had "lifestyle issues" along the way).

They then had to let him go on a free. 

Genuinely interested in any links for this as I've never heard that before.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:01am
More evidence of the disharmony going on behind the scenes as Sven Mislintat, Head of Recruitment, is rumoured to be leaving after being overlooked for the role of Technical Director (whatever that is). Himself, an ex-Barca executive, and Emery have been responsible for signings, but the first two favour differing approaches to signing players and the working relationship seems to have deteriorated.

farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:01am
And there was me thinking there was no possible way that Arsenal could f**k up the transition period as much as United...
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:03am

More evidence of the disharmony going on behind the scenes as Sven Mislintat, Head of Recruitment, is rumoured to be leaving after being overlooked for the role of Technical Director (whatever that is). Himself, an ex-Barca executive, and Emery have been responsible for signings, but the first two favour differing approaches to signing players and the working relationship seems to have deteriorated.

Wouldn't read too much into it. Seems the same thing happened with him at Dortmund.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:55am
Heard that alright. Hoping it's a case of that rather than how it's being portrayed at the moment.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
Bellerin out for 6-9 months with a ruptured ACL. Was much improved this season so it's a big blow for him and the team. Would expect Maitland-Niles to get some game time now, but he'll have to improve his end product, it's been disappointing in a lot of games this season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:17pm

Genuinely interested in any links for this as I've never heard that before.
Can't remember where I read it (couple of weeks ago?), but I do know Steve Bould was quoted. And without saying it in so many words, he implied that at the start of his career, Arsenal rushed him back from injuries, when he needed rest, even an operation.
As a result, all he can do is manage the situation i.e. he'll never be fully fit.

P.S. Wilshere was 27 on New Years Day! Shocked

Edited by Territorial - 22 Jan 2019 at 12:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 229>
  Share Topic