You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broadband Providers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:00am
Anyone been having problems with Virgin Broadband recently? 
Last 6 months it has got very unreliable for me. I've even had them out to look at it, they say everything looks perfect but then it's back to intermittent dropping of the network. 

I'm also at a point in time where I can negotiate my TV package with Sky and one of the attractive options would be to move my Internet over to Sky. 
I really rely on a stable internet question for my work so question for Sky broadband users, how is it? Do you have any issues with your connection? Would you recommend?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:10pm
My neighbour at home switched to Virgin recently and has had a lot of problems since the switch. Not ideal with WFH. We've had Sky broadband for years and have always found it really reliable.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

My neighbour at home switched to Virgin recently and has had a lot of problems since the switch. Not ideal with WFH. We've had Sky broadband for years and have always found it really reliable.
Virgin are ****s and always will be ****s. Got rid of everything years ago and never looked back. Vodafone BB through the phoneline and never an issue.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:29pm
I've had a few problems myself past while. I'm still on the old UPC box I may look for an upgrade. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Last 6 months it has got very unreliable for me. I've even had them out to look at it, they say everything looks perfect but then it's back to intermittent dropping of the network. 

I'm also at a point in time where I can negotiate my TV package with Sky and one of the attractive options would be to move my Internet over to Sky. 
I really rely on a stable internet question for my work so question for Sky broadband users, how is it? Do you have any issues with your connection? Would you recommend?

Then you need to avoid Virgin.
I had to get rid of it for that exact reason.

It’s great when it works but when it’s down it can be down for hours.
Never had any significant problems with SKY.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:01pm
Yep Virgín is terrible and an ironic name given how many times its f**ked.

Its been up and down for me all last week. Usually once a week every month when they push out security updates it breaks for a day
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:19pm
What do you mean by pushing out security updates?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What do you mean by pushing out security updates?

Supposedly they update their network every month. Might be linked more to the TV side of it though. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:00am
3 & 1/2 years with Virgin and bar having to call them once when the service was down I've had no other issues.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:03am

What issues are you having exactly?

When you are having these issues is anyone watching netflix?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:10am
individual devises (phone, ipad, TV) go down all the time, but a quick airplane mode on/off (or just on/off in the case of the TV) fix this. Not a Virgin issue.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Yep Virgín is terrible and an ironic name given how many times its f**ked.

Its been up and down for me all last week. Usually once a week every month when they push out security updates it breaks for a day

Been acting up a bit recently for me too
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm

What issues are you having exactly?

When you are having these issues is anyone watching netflix?

A little bit Netflix and the sky box but nothing too noticeable. 
More so myself or wife are on MS Teams meeting and WiFi signal drops so much the line cuts out and screen stops sharing and stuff. It then comes back up but only to go again soon later. This can happen frequently throughout the day. Unplugging and replugging the modem seems to help for a little while but then starts acting up again soon after that. 
Also computer games online are very laggy via the WiFi. Connected with wire is fine. But even sitting in the same room on 5gb or 2.4 right beside the modem get the same issue with the intermittent WiFi drop.
I didn’t have a noticeable issue really until 6 months ago which I am thinking has something to do with works they did in the area around the time.

Edited by t_rAndy - 11 Aug 2020 at 9:06pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:08pm
You could try changing the frequency from 5ghz to 2.5ghz or vice versa, and/or try changing the wireless channel to something different.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:18pm
Proud to say I don’t have broadband Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Proud to say I don’t have broadband Clap

Yeah but your next door neighbour does :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:07am
Sky Ireland are the biggest ****s I've ever come across.

I'd never go near them again. There appears to be no consumer protection in Ireland.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:36am

You could try changing the frequency from 5ghz to 2.5ghz or vice versa, and/or try changing the wireless channel to something different.

Tried the 5g and 2.5g but get the same issues. They are coming out again this week to have a look at it. If they don't solve the issue then I will look at something else for sure.
I liked the idea of moving to Sky and then getting a better deal on the TV but friends of both my wife and I are more saying they've had issues with their sky (which i have had myself in the past, hence willing to separate my internet from TV provider even though it costs more).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic