You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will majority of fans be in Torun or Gdansk?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Whats the big deal with Torun? We arent playing there, so f**k torun. Mullingar of Poland.

Hah. I'd imagine if Ireland ever hosted a tournament and there were groups based around Galway and Dublin, Athlone and Mullingar would be the equivalent of Torun for two weeks.

The big deal is it's far cheaper than elsewhere, it's between Poznan and Gdansk, it has good transport links to those two cities (well, by rail anyway, not to mention steve amsterdam's buses), it's already a tourist-focused, historic town (a UNESCO world heritage site, unlike Mullingar, you have to admit), there are thousands of Irish fans staying there, it involves the same amount or less travel as basing yourself in Gdansk, Sopot or Poznan and it allows the opportunity to spend a couple of days away from the tournament if people feel like it.

But mostly it's because it's cheaper.
Sponsored Links

Biffo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:42pm
Born to run

Edited by Biffo - 13 Mar 2012 at 5:43pm
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:46pm
I'll be on the beach in gdansk for 5 days anyway! Not avoiding cows in torun
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm
50/50 between Poznan and Gdansk for us. No interest in Torun. Not gonna be that much cheaper really once ya factor everything in
harry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by makgidi makgidi wrote:

We're staying in Poznan on the 6th
Wroclaw 7th-9th - might try catch the Russia - Czech Republic game
Poznan 9th-12th
Sopot 12th - 16th
Poznan 16th-20th.

Then maybe head to Berlin or Krakow for a couple of days.

wish i had time off like ye Cry
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:48pm
we re going to be 4 nights in Gdansk for spain match and 4 nights in torun so we ll get the best of both atmospheres rather than just staying in the one place
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Boston Hoop View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:21am
3 nights in Poznan / 4 in Sopot / 3 nights in Poznan... but I wouldn't criticise anyone for chosing Torun. Costs are everything these days but most of all, if there is more than 50 Irish in any one pub, it'll feel like Grand Central... I imagine many of nights will be spent standing outside pubs so you may as well be anywhere!
toruntips.com View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toruntips.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Twice_Daly Twice_Daly wrote:

nothing against Torun because i havent been to poland yet and only going by the info i can find online but why Torun? just seems people are raving about the place and im wondering if theres something iv missed. each to their own but just wondering if anyone has been here before or what has lads on a horn about it? might try get here for one or two days if its worth a look

Why Toruń? Because it's a simply beautiful city...full of charm!! Have been living here for 9 years and have travelled extensively around Poland. Toruń is the place to be for sure!!!

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toruntips.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

Would imagine Sopot and Gdansk will be the most popular resorts as there are beeches there that would certainly swing it for me ahead of Poznan and Torun .

There are no beaches in Gdańsk!!! It has a harbour if you want to dodge the boats! Sopot does indeed have a beach but in summer it'll be packed!! The Poles flock to the seaside when the weather is good...and this is the result:

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toruntips.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Originally posted by Twice_Daly Twice_Daly wrote:

nothing against Torun because i havent been to poland yet and only going by the info i can find online but why Torun? just seems people are raving about the place and im wondering if theres something iv missed. each to their own but just wondering if anyone has been here before or what has lads on a horn about it? might try get here for one or two days if its worth a look
The reason I'm staying in Torun:
It's between Poznan & Gdansk
It's cheap & reasonable
It has good train connections
It's not ripping us off
It seems a nice city
Glennstandish is very helpful
I'm not on a HORN!!!!
TorunThumbs Up

Thanks wicklowrunner...glad to be of help!!! Toruń is looking forward to welcoming all the Irish fans this summer. You won't be disappointed! You'll have a warm welcome here...and get to see a little more of Poland as well. ENJOY!!
Forza2 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forza2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by toruntips.com toruntips.com wrote:

Would imagine Sopot and Gdansk will be the most popular resorts as there are beeches there that would certainly swing it for me ahead of Poznan and Torun .

There are no beaches in Gdańsk!!! It has a harbour if you want to dodge the boats! Sopot does indeed have a beach but in summer it'll be packed!! The Poles flock to the seaside when the weather is good...and this is the result:

..and at seaside tourists attack trains !

Edited by Forza2 - 14 Mar 2012 at 2:42pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm

You wouldn't a be a bit biased, of course.

Google images doesn't show the beaches packed. 

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 14 Mar 2012 at 2:45pm
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I particularly like the brazzers at the party.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 3:00pm
People having an argument over where is the best city to stay. Are ye serious?Sleepy
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toruntips.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

People having an argument over where is the best city to stay. Are ye serious?Sleepy
At the end of the day lads you're coming to have a fab time and enjoy the footie. All 3 places (Toruń, Gdańsk and Poznan) are wonderful and you'll have fun in any of them!!
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toruntips.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

By the way Poles don't wear swim shorts!!! Speedoes are still very much in fashion!!!! LOL
Whelo79 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 4:25pm

By the way Poles don't wear swim shorts!!! Speedoes are still very much in fashion!!!! LOL

Best go out and buy a few new banana hammocks so Sick
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Whelo79 Whelo79 wrote:

Best go out and buy a few new banana hammocks so Sick
If I wanted a beach Holiday I wouldnt be heading to Poland.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic