You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 39404142>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I'd see it as a step down for Carsley.

It probably would be seeing as he wouldn't be going in as assistant.

He's in charge of the England u-20's and he's head of development for the 18's/19's/20's.

It's a serious long shot.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Anyone remember some Sindo journalist wrote a long article about her romantic encounters with John O'Shea while on holiday somewhere, about 10 or 15 years ago? Or was it a dream?

I think I do actually, she had no idea who he was, and all her friends wanted to know if he knew David Beckham?

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 12 Jan 2021 at 4:53pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I think I do actually, she had no idea who he was, and all her friends wanted to know if he knew David Beckham?

Yes, that's the one, she thought he was just some nice lad from Waterford or something. Glad I wasn't imagining that. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm
John the third favourite with the bookies for the Fleetwood job.  

Edited by Double Maxim - 25 Nov 2021 at 1:38pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

John the third favourite with the bookies for the Fleetwood job.  

Twould be no harm if he got it, the more Irish managers, aware of the young talent coming through here, and operating at a decent level, the better. Fleetwood are 22nd in L1, but only 3pts off safety with a couple of games in hand. I'm not sure about the ownership/finances there, but if they are in reasonable shape, it might not be a bad job to cut his teeth on. John never really struck me as a gaffer though, a coach maybe.
Idah Dream!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 12:26pm
John is the new first team coach for Stoke 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:39pm
New assistant manager. Dunno what to make of this move.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Me neither.  On thr plus side he will have loyalty andwill have soe respect due to his career but is he a good enough coach?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:46pm
This has been discussed a bit in the Kenny thread, I'll post this again in here. I think he's a good appointment, I dont think he's the assistant manager though??? Assistant Coach I thought I read.

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Good appointment. He's an Irish legend who's won everything in the club game, not many can say that. He'll be respected 

I agree, think it's a very sensible appointment, he knows all of the U21 lads, he is unlikely to jump ship and he could be useful to keep around for continuity reasons if Kenny falls on his sword at some point.

As you say, he's also a lad who should carry a fair bit of respect from the players based on his own club career.

Pleased for Josh, he always comes across as a dedicated, professional guy. Dont see any reason to be negative about this apptmt tbh.
Idah Dream!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Me neither.  On thr plus side he will have loyalty andwill have soe respect due to his career but is he a good enough coach?

4 years experience now with Reading, Stoke and the U21s. Got his Pro Licence last year, so entirely qualified for the role. I dont know this myself, but somebody mentioned in the Kenny thread that he was well thought of at Reading. Strikes me as a good hard working pro who will be entirely committed to the cause.
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:01pm
I'm in different about the appointment.

On one hand we could do with a good defensive coach to get the defense more organised and stop leaking the silly goals like we have. Someone one that help us see out games and hold onto the result when we go ahead.

On the other, I'm not too sure O'Shea has the attributes or influence to help out too much elsewhere on the field. We need someone to manage and coach the set pieces better and someone with a bit more tactical knowledge to know where and when to make changes. Kenny and Andrews on their own have always been slow to react IMO and have made some strange calls when they have.

I dunno, just seems like they went with the safe option / plan B after Barry fell through again.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I'm in different about the appointment.

On one hand we could do with a good defensive coach to get the defense more organised and stop leaking the silly goals like we have. Someone one that help us see out games and hold onto the result when we go ahead.

On the other, I'm not too sure O'Shea has the attributes or influence to help out too much elsewhere on the field. We need someone to manage and coach the set pieces better and someone with a bit more tactical knowledge to know where and when to make changes. Kenny and Andrews on their own have always been slow to react IMO and have made some strange calls when they have.

I dunno, just seems like they went with the safe option / plan B after Barry fell through again.

In response, I'll repost mine and others comments from the Kenny thread

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Good appointment. He's an Irish legend who's won everything in the club game, not many can say that. He'll be respected 

I agree, think it's a very sensible appointment, he knows all of the U21 lads, he is unlikely to jump ship and he could be useful to keep around for continuity reasons if Kenny falls on his sword at some point.

As you say, he's also a lad who should carry a fair bit of respect from the players based on his own club career.

Pleased for Josh, he always comes across as a dedicated, professional guy. Dont see any reason to be negative about this apptmt tbh.

I personally think what somebody achieved as a player should have nothing to do with it - I think it's agreed that Barry did a good job with Ireland and he didn't have a high profile career as a player. Ultimately, it should be all about how good of a coach the person is. 
From what I heard at the time, O'Shea was highly regarded as a coach at Reading. 

I agree, but I dont think it does any harm either. Josh strikes me as a hard working professional who has now been given a chance to take the next step up in his coaching career. I think he is a good appointment and nobody will question his commitment to the Irish set up. Barry seemed to do a good job for a limited amount of time and then jumped ship (I do think, given the limited amount of time coaches get to work with international players, that Barry's contribution may have been slightly over exaggerated by those seeking to minimise Kenny's own contribution to the cause, but that's an argument for another day).
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:18pm
What's the Josh craic about? 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

J. O'Sh - I think he is called that by some.
Idah Dream!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

J. O'Sh - I think he is called that by some.

Thumbs Up 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:13pm
118 Ireland caps, 256 appearances for Manchester United, two years of coaching Reading, two years coaching the Ireland U21s, currently first team coach at Stoke City.
Idah Dream!
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 7:04pm
Unless you’re a serial monster, I don’t know why anyone would have a moan over this appointment. I remember reading before that o shea is very well thought of as a coach and was tipped to be a manager when playing at United. Has played at highest level, seems like a decent chap, has earned his stripes in the background at smaller clubs and with Ireland under 21s - worth a shot. Best of luck to him, hope it goes well 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Unless you’re a serial monster, I don’t know why anyone would have a moan over this appointment. I remember reading before that o shea is very well thought of as a coach and was tipped to be a manager when playing at United. Has played at highest level, seems like a decent chap, has earned his stripes in the background at smaller clubs and with Ireland under 21s - worth a shot. Best of luck to him, hope it goes well 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 39404142>
  Share Topic