You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can Spurs win the League???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Spurs win the League???
    Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:39pm

Last January Spurs were lying in 4th position in the league, 8 points behind the then league leaders Man Utd. Spurs finished the season in 5th place some 18 points behind champions Man Utd. During the summer Spurs made 3 key signings strenghtning the spine of the team.  

Brad Freidel was signed on a free at 40 years old, he has proved to be a brilliant signing for Spurs keeping 8 clean sheets so far this season even though 5 different centre half have played in front of him, testiment to the strenght in depth of the current squad.

The one player Harry Rednapp wanted to sign last summer was Scott Parker, he had to convince Daniel Levy that Parker was the key to bringing Spurs to the next step. The signing of Scott Parker was against everything that Levy believed was right for Spurs. He was the wrong side of 30 and a serious earner, but Levy backed his man and Rednapp got his man. The Spurs Midfield of Parker, Sandro, Lennon, Bale and Van Der Vaart is a match for any Premier League midfield. Players like Kranjcar and Pienaarcan  be brought in to freshen thing up or a piece of magic is required off the bench. 

Emmanuel Adebayor was signed on a season long loan from Man City.  Adebayer has scored 9 goals from 18 game and has also got 7 assists to his name. He is now playing for the team and defending from the front and has become a real team player, something he has been criticised for not doing in the past.

Spurs are out of Europe so they will not be playing Europa Cup games on a Thursday night unlike the 2 Manchester clubs which could be of benifit to Spurs in the run in. Rednapp has come out and said today that he will not sign anybody in the current transfer window.  He also said that Spurs can win the league, Spurs are now 7/1 to win the league, but can the win the league??? 

Say nothing till you hear more
Sponsored Links

Billy O'Toole View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Official forum mess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy O'Toole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:42pm
Not a hope
Ybig holy jaysus - 4 points for Gerk & Count
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:45pm
I think they will be close but won't win it
To answer your question,yes they can
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Wearside Bhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:47pm
The way Man City and Man Utd are shooting themselves in the foot I wouldn't totally rule it out.
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:48pm
Eh you mention there strong midfield and leave out one of the best in the world!!

Not a hope of em winnin as already said, they're having a fantastic season but they'll crumble when the real pressure starts!!
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:51pm

Best midfield in the Premiership. Cant see why not with the way they are playing.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:58pm

I take it Adebayor wont be eligible to play against City?

Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 11:36am
Not. A. Hope.

I love the way van Der vaart said last night that CIty won't win the league because they will struggle under the pressure of not having won a title since 1968...yet he feels Spurs can win it...WHere's the sense in that?

Spurs - both VDV and Harry - have started teh mind games on CIty - I wonder how Sir ALex ferguson will feel about that?  Will SPurs be getting in his way?  He normally only has to deal with one team n the final stages of a campaign.

Truth is, if Spurs are in any way close in March - the pressure will mount on them massively.  They haven't a hope of winning the league - I'm surprised their odds are quite short - I wouldn't even waste a tenner id f somebody offered me 1000/1 on SPurs wining the title.  It just won't happen!

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 11:40am
His best piece of business was keeping Modric. It will depend on how they do against Man City and Man United both teams whooped Spurs' arse at the start of the season. Man United beat Spurs by at least three goals a game most seasons.

Hopefully they can make it interesting and have a three horse race, but invariably it always comes down to two.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 11:49am
Redknapps talking in the press today like Spurs have it won
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:01pm
They absolutely can but their results against the big rivals have to drastically improve. It'd be silly to dismiss them out of hand, the race is too close at the moment.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:02pm
Have the team whether they have the bottle or not we will see.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:11pm
Would love to see them winning it , but i think maybe its a bridge to far! This is definitely the best chance Spur's will have for many years to come imo , they are the form side and must not be written off.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
flick View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:12pm

havent seen much of spurs this season, they were good against everton but everton were poor. for my own sanity, i hope they dont, couldnt listen to scruffyr if they did

GWAN YBIG
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Redknapps talking in the press today like Spurs have it won

Link ...or are you just talking through your hole ?

There is no way harry is suggesting Spurs have won it
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

havent seen much of spurs this season, they were good against everton but everton were poor. for my own sanity, i hope they dont, couldnt listen to scruffyr if they did

Consistency has become key for Spurs , they have so many talented players in their squad and in fairness to them they have stepped up their game this year! Last season they were hit and miss , this season Spur's are putting teams to the sword and not dropping silly points like they might have done in the past! Getting knocked out of the Europa League is a blessing imo.

Jaysus you could hardly begrudge the man a wild celebration if Spurs won the league ffs LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

if you have not seen them enough  it kinda nullifies your opinion don't you think ?

Spurs played well against Everton but have played way better already this season.

I would not take into account the first 2 games of thseason ...a time when Modric was acting the bollicks and we did not have either parker or Adebayor in the team ....it was a completely different setup and both Manchester clubs will be playing a different Spurs setup altogether inthe coming weeks i expect Spurs to do better in both games.

I live in hope rather then expectation for this season but please ...a little respect for Spurs from all you doubters....the league has been boring enough for the past few years without writing the newcomers out of the script so soon this year again

"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:27pm
They some really difficult games in the second half of the season, I read somewhere that they play Liverpool, City and Arsenal away at Utd at home within a certain number of weeks.

I think they will be closer than ever in the PL years but they won't win it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic