Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 1770>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 5:06am

I think the way the injries have hit mean that the most important area to keep consistent in is defence.  So if I were gonna spalsh out it would be to bring someone in in that area.  Possibly a right-full.

But I don't like the idea of buying someone just for the sake that we have a few injuries.  If we have a solid right-full, it changes everything.  Smalling can play with Rio at the heart, Valencia can then move to the right wing and Nani out to the left where the team would have much, much better balance.  There is no balance in this team the last two games.  SOme fans are going on about our defence being too weak or our central midfield not being strong enough...the fact is, over the last two matches, we have been lacking width and balance and our players in possession are being laboured because the balance that we are used to isn't there.  

We'll just have to count ourselves to be very unfortunate to have had so many injuries...and if it throws us right of course for the season than so be it!  Panic buying isn't the Ferguson way...Fergie has too much potential in central midfield that he will want to test before bringing anyone in in that area. 

For some reason a lot of United fans feel that's where we are lacking, because there isn't a world-class household name in there.  I think that's bollocks.  Central midfield is the one area United aren't lacking!  They have like 9 first-squad members that can play in there.  It ain't a problem.  I wouldn't be surprised in the summer if Berbatov left and Fergie went full-tilt at a top quality goalscorer.  

But in January, I'll be surprised if he buys anyone, and if he does, it may be just to patch up numbers at the back - especially right-full so we can stop playing so many players out of position.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Sponsored Links

greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Twice_Daly Twice_Daly wrote:

agreed that ferdinand did ok, you couldnt really blame him. he's been much improved lately. Tiote, Ba and Cabaye are solid, good players. it will be interesting to see how newcastle cope without Tiote and Ba.

hate that knee jerk nonsense too about fans looking to buy all the time. Remember how we struggled last year and when Valencia came back fit, just one player, it was like getting in a new signing and it freshened up the team. plenty of utd players due back soon and they are good enough to make the team stronger ( smalling & especially Tom cleverley IMO)
Thats a very good point...but i still cant help but feel we need more options in midfield??...as i said previously its a sad day when newcastle who are maybe eyeing a europa league spot have two midfielders who could walk onto the united team?...im not absolutely demanding we sign someone as i have trust in Fergie...who am i to question him!!...but im just interested to hear who people think we should sign if we were to open the cheque book?
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 3:34pm
Utd to lose their 3rd game on the trot on Sunday?

Man City away is not an easy game.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:26pm
2 3 game on !
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Originally posted by Twice_Daly Twice_Daly wrote:

agreed that ferdinand did ok, you couldnt really blame him. he's been much improved lately. Tiote, Ba and Cabaye are solid, good players. it will be interesting to see how newcastle cope without Tiote and Ba.

hate that knee jerk nonsense too about fans looking to buy all the time. Remember how we struggled last year and when Valencia came back fit, just one player, it was like getting in a new signing and it freshened up the team. plenty of utd players due back soon and they are good enough to make the team stronger ( smalling & especially Tom cleverley IMO)
Thats a very good point...but i still cant help but feel we need more options in midfield??...as i said previously its a sad day when newcastle who are maybe eyeing a europa league spot have two midfielders who could walk onto the united team?...im not absolutely demanding we sign someone as i have trust in Fergie...who am i to question him!!...but im just interested to hear who people think we should sign if we were to open the cheque book?

Glaziers have net spent 8million since they arrived.  Don't think any opening of the cheque book is going to happen. Does not mean they wont sign players but it seems to be that its all pretty much self financing from player sales etc.
Wearside Bhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:41pm
Scholes should have stayed on the bench.
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm
kompany should have stayed on the pitch 
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

I think the way the injries have hit mean that the most important area to keep consistent in is defence.  So if I were gonna spalsh out it would be to bring someone in in that area.  Possibly a right-full.

But I don't like the idea of buying someone just for the sake that we have a few injuries.  If we have a solid right-full, it changes everything.  Smalling can play with Rio at the heart, Valencia can then move to the right wing and Nani out to the left where the team would have much, much better balance.  There is no balance in this team the last two games.  SOme fans are going on about our defence being too weak or our central midfield not being strong enough...the fact is, over the last two matches, we have been lacking width and balance and our players in possession are being laboured because the balance that we are used to isn't there.  

We'll just have to count ourselves to be very unfortunate to have had so many injuries...and if it throws us right of course for the season than so be it!  Panic buying isn't the Ferguson way...Fergie has too much potential in central midfield that he will want to test before bringing anyone in in that area. 

For some reason a lot of United fans feel that's where we are lacking, because there isn't a world-class household name in there.  I think that's bollocks.  Central midfield is the one area United aren't lacking!  They have like 9 first-squad members that can play in there.  It ain't a problem.  I wouldn't be surprised in the summer if Berbatov left and Fergie went full-tilt at a top quality goalscorer.  

But in January, I'll be surprised if he buys anyone, and if he does, it may be just to patch up numbers at the back - especially right-full so we can stop playing so many players out of position.

Siralex are you suggesting United have conceded 8 goals in the last 3 games because of the wingers rather than Vidic's absence? Jaysus!
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

Siralex are you suggesting United have conceded 8 goals in the last 3 games because of the wingers rather than Vidic's absence? Jaysus!

Would this be the same Vidic that SA claimed we wouldn't miss as much as Ferdinand Embarrassed
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 7:39pm
After much speculation that Rooney was going to leave Man United , he kissed the badge during the Manchester derby today to show his loyalty to the club...A bit like when he kisses his wife before he goes to see a prostitute Wink
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 8:34pm

Trapped - I'm looking at the bigger picture.  I suggested that Smalling was key to United - not because he's a good player - or not because of what he brings to the team - but purely for balance.  I said this in my post.  You clearly don't understand.

...and here's the thing.  ALex ferguson's press conference on Friday - AFTER I posted SMalling was key on here - said, and I know some of you watch Fergie's press conference so can confirm this - "Smalling is key, Smalling is THE one player I would want back."  That's a paraphrase, he said something to that tune, can't remember the exact quote.

But here's teh reason why he and I wanted Smalling back...It gave the team balance - as you saw today.  Against Blackburn and Newastle - United were laboured in possession - y'all saw that yourself.  United had possession of teh ball around midfeild and couldn't make progress.  They didn't know what to do with the ball.  Reason?  Lack of width!  Check out my thoughts on teh Blackburn and Newcastle games - the lack of width was my concern. Smalling coming back released Valncia from his full back duties giving United both Valncia and Nani...I mentioned this many times on here...as soon as Smalling's back United will improve.

Hey presto..United get SMalling back, they push Valencia in to the right wing, Nani to the left and they go and beat Man City - the best team in England at present - in their own back yard....Look at the first goal for reason for me wanting Smalling back...and Smalling didn't even touch the ball!  Remember players and their rle can't be judged just by what they do on the ball.

As fo United missing Vidic, yes they will - but in no way the same way as they missed Ferdinand when he was banned for missing a test.  When he got that ban in January - United were 7 points clear at the summit, I turned around to me mate on hearing that news and said: "United won't win this title now."  They didn't!

I don't think Vidic's loss is as big a deal.  I still think United can win the league without him.  I'm sure they can!  ..and let's not forget, United only conceded one goal in the four games (three clean sheets) immediately after Vidic picked up his injury.  yes they have conceded 8 in the last three games, but that was more to do with the lack of balance United were showing and make-shift defenders (Carick, Valencia etc) playing in those positions.

Vidic is a loss, definitely, but not as key a loss as some people will have you believe.  I have to add to that though, that he may well now be a more pivotal figure than Rio because Rio is in the dark winter of his career.  

But once United have that balance, I knew they'd improve...and I thought they were brilliant today.  Deserved to win by a lot more than one. Great display - different team to the last two games - and that difference was the balance within the side. KEY!

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 8:43pm
Nani was dreadful again today. Needlessly gave away posession in build up to man city's 1st goal.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 12:30am

Trapped - I'm looking at the bigger picture.  I suggested that Smalling was key to United - not because he's a good player - or not because of what he brings to the team - but purely for balance.  I said this in my post.  You clearly don't understand.

...and here's the thing.  ALex ferguson's press conference on Friday - AFTER I posted SMalling was key on here - said, and I know some of you watch Fergie's press conference so can confirm this - "Smalling is key, Smalling is THE one player I would want back."  That's a paraphrase, he said something to that tune, can't remember the exact quote.

But here's teh reason why he and I wanted Smalling back...It gave the team balance - as you saw today.  Against Blackburn and Newastle - United were laboured in possession - y'all saw that yourself.  United had possession of teh ball around midfeild and couldn't make progress.  They didn't know what to do with the ball.  Reason?  Lack of width!  Check out my thoughts on teh Blackburn and Newcastle games - the lack of width was my concern. Smalling coming back released Valncia from his full back duties giving United both Valncia and Nani...I mentioned this many times on here...as soon as Smalling's back United will improve.

Hey presto..United get SMalling back, they push Valencia in to the right wing, Nani to the left and they go and beat Man City - the best team in England at present - in their own back yard....Look at the first goal for reason for me wanting Smalling back...and Smalling didn't even touch the ball!  Remember players and their rle can't be judged just by what they do on the ball.

As fo United missing Vidic, yes they will - but in no way the same way as they missed Ferdinand when he was banned for missing a test.  When he got that ban in January - United were 7 points clear at the summit, I turned around to me mate on hearing that news and said: "United won't win this title now."  They didn't!

I don't think Vidic's loss is as big a deal.  I still think United can win the league without him.  I'm sure they can!  ..and let's not forget, United only conceded one goal in the four games (three clean sheets) immediately after Vidic picked up his injury.  yes they have conceded 8 in the last three games, but that was more to do with the lack of balance United were showing and make-shift defenders (Carick, Valencia etc) playing in those positions.

Vidic is a loss, definitely, but not as key a loss as some people will have you believe.  I have to add to that though, that he may well now be a more pivotal figure than Rio because Rio is in the dark winter of his career.  

But once United have that balance, I knew they'd improve...and I thought they were brilliant today.  Deserved to win by a lot more than one. Great display - different team to the last two games - and that difference was the balance within the side. KEY!

i agree with most you have said siralex, especially regards valencia play right wing!!! i would love to see the stats regarding valencia assist to rooney goals. when rooney had his 30 goal season alot of them were supplied by valencia. he then got injured and nearly left and suffered with form, when did that form return? when valencia came back from injury. and it has been similiar again this season.

Regarding smalling, he is outstanding player with alot of potential still to develop, everyone bangs on about jones, who is good but i prefer smalling by a mile!!! But i do feel vidic presence is badly missed he is our captain and when he returned from injury the clean sheets returned.

my one question is rafael is back but not playing! he is a natural full back not a centre mid has happened against blackburn where i cried out for him to switch so valencia could take the wing. does fergie see valencia as a better rb than rafa? who has been good but rash at times. 

Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:23pm
SA i agree that Valencia has been excellent recently and is the form winger out of himself, Nani and Young. His deliveries are getting back to as good as they were two seasons ago and the team are much better going forward when he's at right wing rather than right back.

However, the mistakes made at the back in the last few matches had nothing to do with the 'balance' of the team - that's a separate issue. The goals conceded were very poor, caused by sloppy defending and a general lack of assertion. Vidic's absence is the main reason for this - plain and simple. I think you're trying to over-complicate the situation to make it seem like Vidic is not much of a loss at the back.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 9:07pm
LOL

I never even mentioned Vidic - read back!  It wasn't me that brought him up.  I just said in order for this team to improve we need Smalling back asap so we can find the balance in the team again. 

Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 1:00am
Right well i doubt those 6 goals would have been conceded with Vidic in the team.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 4:10pm
Whats the story with Pogba and Ravel Morrison constantly being linked with moving away from the club?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Whats the story with Pogba and Ravel Morrison constantly being linked with moving away from the club?

Ravels had enough apparently
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 1770>
  Share Topic