You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16101611161216131614 1770>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:16pm
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Villa were the better team for the first 20 minutes or so, missed a few good chances.
Greenwood is going to be world class
So was Ben Thornley and Luke Chadwick..
And Phil Jones was the new Duncan Edwards
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 12:35am
Solskjaer is the right man to take this club forward, I've thought it when results were worse and he's been able to implement it on the pitch so far this year. Fernandes, Greenwood, the returns of Pogba and rashford make it a very different team. They're gelling together as well as could be hoped, with the attack working together excellently. A couple of good signings in the summer and they'll be well set up.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:45am
They really are an absolute joy to watch at the moment, central defence is still a bit shaky but it's likely United will outscore the opposition if they concede, Greenwood continues to impress.

First team in PL history to win 4 games in a row by 3+ clear goals!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:50am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

They really are an absolute joy to watch at the moment, central defence is still a bit shaky but it's likely United will outscore the opposition if they concede, Greenwood continues to impress.

They were brilliant last night. Lots of movement and quick balls. Always looking for that next goal. 

After the dross that LVG and Jose served up its a pity the local fans are not there to watch it in the stadium. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:48am

Against three teams from the bottom 6. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Must be the only team in PL history to play teams from the bottom 6.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 12:18pm
Once again, beating the bottom half teams is important as OGS has had an excellent big game record but united haven't consistently done the former in seven years. 17 games unbeaten playing a European candidate in Sheffield United, Chelsea, Tottenham, City twice, and it's looking like an extremely well-coached team. Virtually every player's game has been improved, the squad looks and plays very differently to when he took over, and performances and results are falling into place. 100 goals, the most free scoring attack in the league and breaking records. Ole's at the wheel Clap

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 10 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Once again, beating the bottom half teams is important as OGS has had an excellent big game record but united haven't consistently done the former in seven years. 17 games unbeaten playing a European candidate in Sheffield United, Chelsea, Tottenham, City twice, and it's looking like an extremely well-coached team. Virtually every player's game has been improved, the squad looks and plays very differently to when he took over, and performances and results are falling into place. 100 goals, the most free scoring attack in the league and breaking records. Ole's at the wheel Clap

And 58 pts from 34 games. Must be the most points they collected since Fergie.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

And 58 pts from 34 games. Must be the most points they collected since Fergie.

Nobody's denying it was poor first half of the season with the substantially weaker squad, no Fernandes, greenwood or pogba and the key men fatigued by lack of rotation. But it takes time for a manager to get it right, regardless of what Sky Sports kneejerk coverage leads people to believe. Took fergie three years and even the manager of the champions took a while to impress in the league with a squad costing hundreds of millions. Now OGS is showing he was right to be given time. Simple as 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:02pm
United fans are getting way ahead of themselves imo, 

No doubt they're playing well but in truth when you're not fighting for a league title it's fairly easy to play without pressure. 

If United do qualify for the CL next season and go on another splurge in the transfer market you will soon see what this team is really made of, merely challenging to get into the top 4 won't be deemed acceptable and increased expectations will crank up the pressure put on the manager and players.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No doubt they're playing well but in truth when you're not fighting for a league title it's fairly easy to play without pressure. 

If United do qualify for the CL next season and go on another splurge in the transfer market you will soon see what this team is really made of, merely challenging to get into the top 4 won't be deemed acceptable and increased expectations will crank up the pressure put on the manager and players.

United have the pressure of being scrutinised every game, people paid to give their opinions on football calling the manager a PE teacher out of his depth, discussions on Paul pogba even if united aren't playing - that constant scrutiny and criticism coupled with the urgent need to ensure champions league football is a regularity again is pressure. AC Milan are a good example of the pressure united feel and ought to feel right now.

I think that talking about the weight of expectation that may be on them is  getting ahead of ourselves. Liverpool and City are two world class sides with world class managers who have had years to shape their team. Chelsea are buying all manner of world class players. The top four is hypercompetitive at the minute and every club will need to work to stay in it. 

What united need to do is to keep playing well and the results and performances should take care of themselves. But it shouldn't be a case of a good half season, a good transfer window and then expectations get blown out of all proportion. I don't think the fans will be expecting that, but the expectation may be placed externally and care needs to be taken not to try and rush what's being done.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 10 Jul 2020 at 1:10pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:31pm

United have the pressure of being scrutinised every game, people paid to give their opinions on football calling the manager a PE teacher out of his depth, discussions on Paul pogba even if united aren't playing - that constant scrutiny and criticism coupled with the urgent need to ensure champions league football is a regularity again is pressure. AC Milan are a good example of the pressure united feel and ought to feel right now.

I think that talking about the weight of expectation that may be on them is  getting ahead of ourselves. Liverpool and City are two world class sides with world class managers who have had years to shape their team. Chelsea are buying all manner of world class players. The top four is hypercompetitive at the minute and every club will need to work to stay in it. 

What united need to do is to keep playing well and the results and performances should take care of themselves. But it shouldn't be a case of a good half season, a good transfer window and then expectations get blown out of all proportion. I don't think the fans will be expecting that, but the expectation may be placed externally and care needs to be taken not to try and rush what's being done.

Come off it, there is absolutely noway you can honestly compare what comes from the media to actually being in the pressure cooker environment of having to win week in week out when you're fighting to win the title and playing in the Champions League.

United have benefited immensely from playing against cannon-fodder in the Europa League and what would be deemed as a successful season by merely competing to finish in the top 4.

At the moment? Not imo, it's one of the poorest PL season's in living memory.

Arsenal and Spurs are way off where they should be, Chelsea are in transition, Wolves with all due respect aren't a top 4/5 side in terms of squad depth/quality and Leicester are punching above their weight.

Next season you will see a far more competitive top 4 imo in terms of actual quality as opposed to quantity.

Edited by Green Devil - 10 Jul 2020 at 1:32pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:42pm
Man City may be expelled from playing in Europe next season, which leaves Man United potentially with not just 1 but 2 safety nets of qualifying for the Champions League next season.

Finishing 5th in the league and winning the Europa League being two possible routes.

Pressure to me was the ding dong battle between Liverpool and City last season, for the money United have spent over the last numbers of years + finishing top 4 should be the minimum every year. 

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm
OTOR is definitely getting ahead of himself, but things have improved substantially over the past 6 months (mainly down to the signing of Fernandes)

Ole still has a hell of a lot to prove and I would be happy for him to be given next season to see how he progresses further, personally I don't think he is a top manager or ever will be but willing to give him time. 6 months ago I wanted him sacked, but football is a fickle old game and things are ever changing.

Delighted Jose isn't in charge I will say that, poor Spurs.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:37pm

I don't see anyone getting ahead of themselves and making Moleman-esque predictions or statements, all I see is posters declaring how good the team are playing at the moment and how enjoyable it is, they're playing the best football in England at the moment and it's refreshing after years of shyte to watch United play consistently exciting attacking football!

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:38pm
United fans probably are getting ahead of themselves alright but it's understandable really considering they've been one of the worst sides in the league to watch since Ferguson left. Moves, LVG and Mourinho were all seriously grim so can hardly blame them for being excited that the team is finally playing some decent, attractive football again.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Must be the only team in PL history to play teams from the bottom 6.

LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16101611161216131614 1770>
  Share Topic