You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15471548154915501551 1770>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Don’t think you need hindsight. Said when Pogba stepped up that Rashford should be hitting it
Not only did he score his last two penalties against PSG and Chelsea but he struck them brilliantly, the way a penalty should be taken

The same as I was wondering if why Rashford wasn't taking it, hindsight was, if Pogba scored we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But read somewhere that it's speculated, that if Pogba wins the penalty, he gets to take it, which is absolutely ludicrous
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

The air time Neville was given last night to discuss the penalty incident was embarrassing, Pogba won the penalty and was confident he would score, these things happen.

The biggest worry for me was the fact United were nearly at full strength yet Lingard (zero goals or assists for United in 2019) and Dan James both started. An injury to Pogba/Rashford/Martial and United are in big trouble.

Sanchez has been horrible for United but there is no way he should be allowed to leave on loan.

These things happen LOL 

Rashford is clearly the better penalty taker. Pogba is atrocious at taking them, even though last nights wasn't nearly his worst. It is the kind of thing that people thought Solksjaer was being brought in to remove, that kind of individual toxic ego that goes against team ethos. 

As Terri said, it could well be a case of Solskjaer being stuck with the imposter, possibly hoping to sell and replace him with someone else, but the board probably said no. Whatever the scenario in the background, none of them end well for Solskjaer himself.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:19pm
If this site is reliable, then just over 81% of PL penalties are successfully converted:

Pogba probably hasn't taken enough to make a reliable sample size, but his current total for MU is 7 out of 11 = 63.6%.

Compare this with other MU penalty takers:
Rooney: 20/27 = 74.1% (add in Everton and it's 23/33 = 69.7%)
van Nistelrooy: 18/22 = 81.8%
Cantona: 14/14 = 100.0%
Ronaldo: 11/13 = 84.6%
Irwin: 8/8 = 100%.

Meanwhile, PP would need to score his next 9 consecutive pens just to get him up to the PL average.

And I don't know how many he'd need to score to get him up eg to Shearer, who converted 53/55 for B'burn and NUFC = 96.4%!

Anyhow, anyone has watched eg Harry Kane will see that it is possible to improve your basic penalty technique, to the extent that after a couple of misses with "average" penalties, he's now all but unstoppable.

Can anyone really see Pogba swallowing his ego and letting Rashford take them, until he has refined his technique on the training ground?

Or OGS instructing him to do so?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

If this site is reliable, then just over 81% of PL penalties are successfully converted:

Pogba probably hasn't taken enough to make a reliable sample size, but his current total for MU is 7 out of 11 = 63.6%.

Compare this with other MU penalty takers:
Rooney: 20/27 = 74.1% (add in Everton and it's 23/33 = 69.7%)
van Nistelrooy: 18/22 = 81.8%
Ronaldo: 11/13 = 84.6%
Irwin: 8/8 = 100%.

Meanwhile, PP would need to score his next 9 consecutive pens just to get him up to the PL average.

And I don't know how many he'd need to score to get him up eg to Shearer, who converted 53/55 for B'burn and NUFC = 96.4%!

Anyhow, anyone has watched eg Harry Kane will see that it is possible to improve your basic penalty technique, to the extent that after a couple of misses with "average" penalties, he's now all but unstoppable.

Can anyone really see Pogba swallowing his ego and letting Rashford take them, until he has refined his technique on the training ground?

Or OGS instructing him to do so?

Cantona definitely missed at least one and it was away to Leeds as far as I remember. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:49pm
Surely irwin took more than 8 penos in his utd career? I thought it wud have been 3 times that. In my mind anyway.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

If this site is reliable,

Cantona definitely missed at least one and it was away to Leeds as far as I remember. 
You're quite right - shoulda known not to trust that bloody site!

And he also missed one against Blackburn, so his tally was actually 14/16. They may have got it wrong because he also scored from open play in both of those games?

Anyhow, the Daily Mail and Opta reckon the correct figures are:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6414833/Eric-Cantona-named-best-Manchester-United-penalty-taker-Premier-League-era.html

MANCHESTER UNITED'S BEST PENALTY TAKES IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE 
PlayerPenalties takenGoals Success %
Eric Cantona 16 14 87.5
Cristiano Ronaldo 13 11 84.6 
Ruud van Nistelrooy 22 18 81.8 
Dennis Irwin 77.8 
Robin Van Persie 75 
Wayne Rooney28 20  71.4
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The air time Neville was given last night to discuss the penalty incident was embarrassing, Pogba won the penalty and was confident he would score, these things happen.

The biggest worry for me was the fact United were nearly at full strength yet Lingard (zero goals or assists for United in 2019) and Dan James both started. An injury to Pogba/Rashford/Martial and United are in big trouble.

Sanchez has been horrible for United but there is no way he should be allowed to leave on loan.

These things happen LOL 

Rashford is clearly the better penalty taker. Pogba is atrocious at taking them, even though last nights wasn't nearly his worst. It is the kind of thing that people thought Solksjaer was being brought in to remove, that kind of individual toxic ego that goes against team ethos. 

As Terri said, it could well be a case of Solskjaer being stuck with the imposter, possibly hoping to sell and replace him with someone else, but the board probably said no. Whatever the scenario in the background, none of them end well for Solskjaer himself.

LOL LOL

Pogba is one of the best players in the league but please continue with your weird agenda! I find it hilarious.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:03am
Whilst Hans openly admits to having general issues with Pogba surely you can see he is correct in this instance? He may be one of the better players in the division but it's pretty obvious he should not even be in the discussion when it comes to taking penalties at this stage.

Aside from his clearly below average conversion rate for United (he also had a 50% success rate for Juve - admittedly only took two for them) he doesn't have any distinct penalty style - between last year's farcical run-ups and the one he took the other night he basically seems to make it up as he goes along. Even the penalties he scores rarely look convincing - unlike Rashford who never looks remotely like missing. It seems pretty clear he's only still on penalties because Solskjaer is pandering to him in any way he can in order to keep him happy enough to stay on for another season.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:52am
He shouldn't be on penalties - but i'm really not sure where the whole toxic influence stuff comes from. Really is no surprise the fact he was racially abused this week the way he is portrayed by the media in general and social media. 
"Pace and power, but lazy" 
"A bad influence, should focus less on his hair and instagram and more on his football"
"Roy Keane (the man who told a young player he was managing that he'd be involved in drive-by shootings in a year) would never stand for this"

It's been said before, but anyone connected to United has spoken of his excellent attitude, influence at the club and how they love having him around. Even young players who have been let go and 'dished dirt' on other goings-on had nothing but positives to say about Pogba. It was a questionable decision but the fact it's still being debated by supposedly reputable journalists and pundits is dog-whistle politics of the lowest order, when Rashford himself felt the need to publicly come out and state it was no big deal whatsoever.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 21 Aug 2019 at 9:53am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:37am
OGS has apparently told Pogba that Rashford is on penalty duties from now on
Will be interesting to see the reaction
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Whilst Hans openly admits to having general issues with Pogba surely you can see he is correct in this instance? He may be one of the better players in the division but it's pretty obvious he should not even be in the discussion when it comes to taking penalties at this stage.

Aside from his clearly below average conversion rate for United (he also had a 50% success rate for Juve - admittedly only took two for them) he doesn't have any distinct penalty style - between last year's farcical run-ups and the one he took the other night he basically seems to make it up as he goes along. Even the penalties he scores rarely look convincing - unlike Rashford who never looks remotely like missing. It seems pretty clear he's only still on penalties because Solskjaer is pandering to him in any way he can in order to keep him happy enough to stay on for another season.

Rubbish!

Rashford has  only hit two penalties in his United career ffs.

Messi has a pretty average penalty record but you won't get people going on and on if he misses his next one, it's embarrassing and weird how Pogba gets targeted (see twitter this week).

Certainly seems like there is a racial element to it.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:31pm
Saying Rashford should have taken a penalty instead of Pogba is racist LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:46pm

LOLLOLLOL
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:53pm

LOL
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:02pm

Rubbish!

Messi has a pretty average penalty record but you won't get people going on and on if he misses his next one, it's embarrassing and weird how Pogba gets targeted (see twitter this week).

Another player who shouldn't be taking penalties in fairness - as is Aguero. At least with those two you get the impression they practice them - as I said Pogba just looks like he wants to give them a crack for the sake of it. Also according to this website (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcus-rashford/elfmetertore/spieler/258923) Rashford has a 100% success rate from six penalties.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Rubbish!

Another player who shouldn't be taking penalties in fairness - as is Aguero. At least with those two you get the impression they practice them - as I said Pogba just looks like he wants to give them a crack for the sake of it. Also according to this website (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcus-rashford/elfmetertore/spieler/258923) Rashford has a 100% success rate from six penalties.

I've seen the Messi thing repeatedly mentioned the past 2 days. Messi is not a great penalty taker. Not woeful, but not great either. One thing is certain though, he is one of the greatest players of all time. So even if he if not statistically the best penalty taker at the club, I can see why managers would want to keep one of the greatest players ever happy.

Pogba is not Messi. Pogba is a guy that when he leaves United all the fans will wonder what the fuss was really about. He's been at the club 3 years and you can count his top level performances with the fingers of one hand. Best of luck keeping tabs on the amount of awful displays he has put in at United.

OntheOneRoad is mentioning him being a positive influence, how nobody comes out of the United dressing room and says anything bad about Pogba. That United dressing room! The one that is rightly pointed out as the most toxic at the club in the past 30 years. I wouldn't be putting too much stock in who is being backed by the majority of the players there.

As for the talk of racism LOL the deflecting done around Pogba is a sight to see. He is a hugely over rated me feiner, who goes through the motions in the majority of games he plays for United. There's a reason so many of the match going fans turned on him last season, it's because they can see how little he gives a f*ck when on the pitch.

If it's true that Rashford is now on penalties for the season, that will not sit well at all with the team player Pogba LOL He knows well his awful stats needs those penalties for padding. It got him the most comical of places on the PFA team of the year last season. 

Brendan won't be able to point to his goal stats (mostly penalties last season) to gloss over some godawful displays in general by Pogba this season. It's going to be a long season for Pogba. Oh, and his number 1 fan Brendan LOL

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:16pm
I would personally say you could make the argument that the most toxic dressing room at United in the past 30 years was the one where Keano saw fit to eviscerate them on MUTV.....
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I would personally say you could make the argument that the most toxic dressing room at United in the past 30 years was the one where Keano saw fit to eviscerate them on MUTV.....

You could argue that. I'd counter that by saying that the majority of that dressing room was proven to stick together, graft and win trophy after trophy over the next 4-5 years. Obviously with 1-2 additions after Keane was thrown out.

The whole reason Solskjaer was keen to bring guys like Maguire and AWB in was to start to turn around what is clearly a poisonous, me feiner, attitude at the club. I don't think Solskjaer is stupid either, I think he would gladly have been rid of Pogba if he could. Just like lads like Lukaku and Sanchez are being moved on.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 21 Aug 2019 at 3:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15471548154915501551 1770>
  Share Topic