You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celebrity Death Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 219>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I remember being so proud when I discovered she was Irish. So cool and such a unique voice. RIP
Discovered she was Irish? You mean when she opened her mouth? I think that is what made her voice so special for many of us, she proudly sang in a very regional Irish accent at a time when so many singers were trying to sound like they were from middle America and, if anything, became more successful and acclaimed for it.

Anyway, I see the coroner is awaiting some test results.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:40pm
Bella Emberg, comedy actress, age 80, RIP
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:30pm
Am I alone in thinking Ireland is having a mini princess Di over Dolores O Riordan? It's really sad and she had talent but I just think some of the coverage and reaction is a tad OTT?
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
They sold over 40 million albums worldwide. She's a pretty big deal in Irish music culture 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:43am
Jimmy Armfield

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Am I alone in thinking Ireland is having a mini princess Di over Dolores O Riordan? It's really sad and she had talent but I just think some of the coverage and reaction is a tad OTT?

Don't think it OTT.She was lead singer of one of this countries biggest ever bands.
Our most famous female singer?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Don't think it OTT.She was lead singer of one of this countries biggest ever bands.

Definitely in an international context anyway. Iconic voice, and the fact that it was so sudden too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:00am

She also had a huge impact on our psyche as a nation. We didn't create many international superstars who acted and sounded like her. I was watching recent interviews with her on the BBC and she still was a Limerick girl, nothing had changed that.
She helped change how a whole generation identified themselves as Irish, as well as being an international superstar and, without huge amounts of competition, being the coolest woman Ireland has produced in some time.
I think it is unfair to compare her death to the English fawning over some woman with a fondness for cock who became famous for who she married.
If we are looking at Wales, then Stuart Cable is probably the best comparison. A tormented rock star, whose down-to-earth nature and local pride, along with his talent, made him a national hero and, to a lesser extent than O'Riordan, a global star.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:05am
Most of America would have been watching the NFL Playoffs yesterday : Could hear Zombie being played during a time out at Foxboro. Showed the international impact The Cranberries had.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Most of America would have been watching the NFL Playoffs yesterday : Could hear Zombie being played during a time out at Foxboro. Showed the international impact The Cranberries had.

They had it playing between plays in the Eagles-Vikings game as well. I think some people might not have been aware of just how big the Cranberries were internationally. They were massive in the States but they really did have admirers from almost everywhere.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

She also had a huge impact on our psyche as a nation. We didn't create many international superstars who acted and sounded like her. I was watching recent interviews with her on the BBC and she still was a Limerick girl, nothing had changed that.
She helped change how a whole generation identified themselves as Irish, as well as being an international superstar and, without huge amounts of competition, being the coolest woman Ireland has produced in some time.
I think it is unfair to compare her death to the English fawning over some woman with a fondness for cock who became famous for who she married.
If we are looking at Wales, then Stuart Cable is probably the best comparison. A tormented rock star, whose down-to-earth nature and local pride, along with his talent, made him a national hero and, to a lesser extent than O'Riordan, a global star.

LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:25am
LOL
Most of them do
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL
Most of them do

It isn't the only thing most of them are known for!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:56am
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 12:31pm
Zombie was played in the Patriots stadium last night... I've no doubt it was because of this week. She was world famous.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:31pm
I don't think it was overboard at all tbh...When we we're in Thailand we did some trek thing and we stopped at this house in the middle of nowhere for food. The local man heard we were from Ireland he took out his guitar and sang Zombie for us!Bizarre but cool I thought!
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:48pm
The Cranberries were massively popular all over continental europe too.Look at any of the recent videos put up on youtube and see how many languages there are comments in.

As regards her being one of the coolest women to come out of Ireland, many regard this as the best live performance ever on saturday night live and Dolores at the absolute height of her cool.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:48am
I am not at home, so maybe the reaction is over-the-top, but I really don't understand how it could be. She was a national treasure, a genuine superstar. I doubt I am the only one to have been touched by her passing, I am certain nearly every Irishman under fifty lost a bit of themselves when she died.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 219>
  Share Topic