You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:10pm
Was the booze touched lads? bar the vat increase
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:13pm
someone should also teach Pearse doherty that taosieach is not pronounced "teesha" and the fianna fáil is not fianna foyle. then again at leats he's slightly more tolerable than that populist bitch macdonald "protect health services" by taxing consultants so heavily they leave the country

Edited by Saint Tom - 06 Dec 2011 at 2:14pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

PP online is a separate company and registered in the isle of mann. Not 100% sure about boylers but id imagine they follow suit.
Imo anyone wanting to target irish punters online should be forced to set up an office here. That means that they would pay the appropriate corporation tax rates on the money they make here.
If for instance betfair, or bet 365 want to target irish punters they should be forced to do the same. Any betting companies who do not abide by this should be barred. As it is many countries bar gambling sites so its not that hard to do.
Id imagine per capita that ireland is the most lucrative online betting market in the world, yet we are missing out on reaping the benefits of this huge market. seemingly the gov would much rather target the disabled and the elderly for their pound of flesh.

They were both venting their frustration earlier in the year at being unfairly penalised compared to the rest that are offshore. You could be right but PP definitely said they were happy to pay once the rest were brought in too.
i think they should all pay their dues not just the irish ones. checked there, boylesports.com is registered in the Isle of Mann too

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0122/1224288087560.html#

What are they complaing about for there so? Curious as I did part of a tax assignment on it
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:16pm

PP online is a separate company and registered in the isle of mann. Not 100% sure about boylers but id imagine they follow suit.
Imo anyone wanting to target irish punters online should be forced to set up an office here. That means that they would pay the appropriate corporation tax rates on the money they make here.
If for instance betfair, or bet 365 want to target irish punters they should be forced to do the same. Any betting companies who do not abide by this should be barred. As it is many countries bar gambling sites so its not that hard to do.
Id imagine per capita that ireland is the most lucrative online betting market in the world, yet we are missing out on reaping the benefits of this huge market. seemingly the gov would much rather target the disabled and the elderly for their pound of flesh.

They were both venting their frustration earlier in the year at being unfairly penalised compared to the rest that are offshore. You could be right but PP definitely said they were happy to pay once the rest were brought in too.
i think they should all pay their dues not just the irish ones. checked there, boylesports.com is registered in the Isle of Mann too

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Originally posted by walsheman walsheman wrote:

Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Originally posted by walsheman walsheman wrote:

fags gone up by much??

25c so now €8 a pack
Shouldn't that be €9 a pack now?? 

yeah 9e,time to quit
Ouch Ridiculous price, think I'll quit so. Or stick to the cheap smokes! Wink
DelightedBig smile

I can now sell my imported fags for €7 a box
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:08pm

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Internet betting will be taxed in the next budget looks like.

Also there is legislation planned in relation to low priced alcohol. 
This is an area that should be contributing alot more imo. I think the sites should be barred from the country pending the payment of an annual license or new specific tax. This is a huge industry yet contributes relatively little in tax. If they want the privelege of taking money from irish punters they should pay imo esp PP online who are based in Isle of Mann etc. Im bloody sick of  big companies not paying their dues while the rest of us are getting screwed.

In fairness it was estimated that if offshores were brought in to the tax net that ultimately it would only bring in an extra €20m/ year at 1%. Tax it too high and the bookies will do what they did in France and vacate the market. 2/2.5% is about as far as they could go imo.
Not a hope in hell bookies would vacate the online irish gambling market. there would be any number of bookies from england willing to abide by our terms and fill the void

Edited by Citizen - 06 Dec 2011 at 1:05pm

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:55pm
My guess is that this is being worked on for next years budget and that it was flagged in this years budget for that reason.  
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Internet betting will be taxed in  the next budget looks like.

how can they enforce that ? most of these sites are hosted in gibraltar.

they should tax the winnings in the bookies , no one would complain

It already is taxed and has been for as long as Ive been alive, its just that in the last few years the bookies have decided to take the hit on it rather than the customer.

And in answer to your 1st question, licensing.
not online betting kerzy, its all based off-shore

Wasnt referring to that in my 1st line. Its all offshore bar Boyles and PP. Which meant that when it was brought in in last year's budget these were the only 2 firms bearing the brunt of it - and of course the 2 firms that provide the most jobs in the betting insutry here.

Licensing is what is needed to bring the off-shores in, going to be hard to police though.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:48pm

This is an area that should be contributing alot more imo. I think the sites should be barred from the country pending the payment of an annual license or new specific tax. This is a huge industry yet contributes relatively little in tax. If they want the privelege of taking money from irish punters they should pay imo esp PP online who are based in Isle of Mann etc. Im bloody sick of  big companies not paying their dues while the rest of us are getting screwed.

In fairness it was estimated that if offshores were brought in to the tax net that ultimately it would only bring in an extra €20m/ year at 1%. Tax it too high and the bookies will do what they did in France and vacate the market. 2/2.5% is about as far as they could go imo.

Edited by Kerrzy - 06 Dec 2011 at 12:48pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:42pm

It already is taxed and has been for as long as Ive been alive, its just that in the last few years the bookies have decided to take the hit on it rather than the customer.

Wasnt referring to that in my 1st line. Its all offshore bar Boyles and PP. Which meant that when it was brought in in last year's budget these were the only 2 firms bearing the brunt of it - and of course the 2 firms that provide the most jobs in the betting insutry here.

Licensing is what is needed to bring the offshores in, going to be hard to police though.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:40pm
Anybody know the logistics in introducing a tax on online betting etc.  I don't just wondering.  What are the liklihood  is that the site is just hoted somewhere else and as a result avoids the tax.  How would you tie down the  company would it be paid per transaction or a flat charge.

Edited by Baldrick - 06 Dec 2011 at 12:42pm
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:36pm

Tax exiles should be homed in on also....chances of this though zero, as they are all buddies with the powers that be.

Agree with you here citizen. paddy power poker for example, take a 10% rake from each punter per game and dont pay a penny tax.  Govt should claim half of that rake.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:35pm

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:33pm

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:27pm
Re increase in cigarettes. all this is going to do is fuel the growth of illegal tobacco sales by organised crime syndicates tbh. Shopkeepers will pay the cost for this, will significantly decease footfall. I myself have bought about two packs in ireland in the last year as i just bring sh*t-loads back when i'm abroad. can't afford to pay 9euro a pack, and i will give up on my own terms.

Edited by Citizen - 06 Dec 2011 at 12:28pm

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:24pm

Tax exiles should be homed in on also....chances of this though zero, as they are all buddies with the powers that be.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Not as bad a budget that was anticipated by the media. It's actually by far the least worst of the austerity budgets we have had so far......
Splitting the budget into two seems to have worked well. It seems to have reduced the workload and has actually allowed for some serious thought to be put into it.

one of the reasons for this is that the changes made in the previous few years esp the USC, return money for the government every year.  So they are a recurring gain for the government.  

It depends on who you are. if you are person on disabilty and are under 24 to lose nearly 50 per cent of your weekly income is a huge decrease in your income. 

Anybody on a disability has had their allowance from 188 to 100.  Considering that disablity carries with it, higher expenses etc, this is going to hit young people with disablites esp hard.

Just re reading that, its for new applicants which is some thing, but basically it seems to act as a  disencentive for anybody to be categorised as needing disablity.

Edited by Baldrick - 06 Dec 2011 at 12:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic