Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shay Given

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shay Given
    Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:10pm

GIVEN by name, giving by nature -- the generosity of Irish soccer hero Shay is heart-warming.

The Donegal man delighted a young Irish fan who suffers from a rare disease by handing over his goalie's gloves from Tuesday's night's play-off at the Aviva Stadium.

And he has now promised to give all of his appearance cash for Ireland to charity.

His dad Seamas revealed that Shay is far more interested in the pride of playing for his country than the money.

"Shay gives it all away to charity. It's not hard to give up because it's not a lot. It was (equivalent to) about €300 when he started out and it hasn't gone up much since.

"It's not something Shay's interested in. He only wants to play."

Shay made the dreams of Jamie Monaghan (12), from Drogheda, come true when he was the only disabled Irish fan allowed on to the pitch on Tuesday as Ireland qualified for Euro 2012.

Suffers

Jamie suffers from the rare genetic condition Mosaic Trisomy 9, and cannot speak or walk.

His dad Phil explained to the Herald: "Shay came over to Jamie himself and he said 'here you are son' and he just handed the gloves to him.

"I'm going to get Shay to sign the gloves when he comes over again in February and then I'll frame it and hang it in his bedroom.

"Jamie is a real soccer fanatic, and the two of us have been to the Aviva 10 times at this stage to see soccer and rugby."

Mr Monaghan added: "Jamie was the only person in a wheelchair on the pitch. Shay was walking over and at first I thought he was going to take off his jersey and give it to him, but then he gave him the gloves, which is brilliant."

Jamie was also invited into the players' lounge in the Aviva and had his jersey signed

What an absolute gent  ClapClapClap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:24pm
Legend!
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:30pm
Shay is an absolute gent. Lovely fella. Legend.
dublin-hammer View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublin-hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:35pm

super keeper and a hero. fair play to him!!!! Clap

I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:41pm
Star Man Star Now there will be those who say he earns enough money to give his app money away but the point is that even if the FAI could not pay him (and others) he would still show up. Makes me feel proud of our team that we have people like that playing for us. 
There are friendlier places to drink.
celts88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celts88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 12:48pm
The man is a legend on and off the field Clap
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:09pm
Seeing Given after the match punching the air to the crowd nearly had me in tears , a legend Thumbs Up
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Peter View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Iced Gem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:12pm
An absolute gent and a legend. He signed a pair of boots for us to auction off at a charity event here in Belfast. 
Tea???? FECK!!!!!
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:46pm
Always seems like a down-to-earth, genuine, decent skin.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:13pm
If any of you saw the time Hector went and did a programme on him for his series "Hanging with Hector" you'd know Shay hates the attention, he only wants to do one thing and thats play football. I thought it was nice to see him strolling down the road and into the local newsagents to buy the Sunday papers after having a stormer against Arsenal the night before. I met Hector on a plane to London about 2 years ago and said that Shay was the nicest fella he'd ever met, and believe it or not Trevor Brennan was the 2nd nicest!

Shay Given is an absolute legend, I met him in Newcastle airport about 14 years ago but I can't really remember it. In fairness, all the Irish lads are sound. The only fella I met who was an asshole was Roy Keane.

Edited by bundy - 18 Nov 2011 at 2:14pm
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:52pm
Shay=Irish legendClap
5 goals to go Robbie!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 5:00pm
My dad always comments on how Shay stays longest on the field after the match and waves to every corner of the ground. He seems to really appreciate the support.
GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:18pm
Need a chant for shay given!!!
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:20pm
Shay is up there with Killer. 2 lads I'd have no bother with allowing them ride me missus. How Shay doesnt have a proper chant by now is embarrassing.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Shay is up there with Killer. 2 lads I'd have no bother with allowing them ride me missus. How Shay doesnt have a proper chant by now is embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as Supah Keepah Dead
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:31pm
HeartThats marriage material right there Clap

What a man
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:34pm
Best line in Talinn was Sham saying to his Dad. 

Any chance of knocking out another young fella :) 
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:53pm
Not as good as the lad from Donegal that introduced himself to Seamus, dead ringer for Shay. Seamus asked him his mothers maiden name just in case ;-)
I know nothing :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
  Share Topic