You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394395396397398 470>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I loved seeing them getting the Grand Slam and wouldn't begrudge any Irish team from doing well in any sport, far from it.

It's the whole 'greatest Irish/achievement ever" etc that comes with the Rugby, and I do feel this country looks down on football, while putting a sport played and followed by a minority on some sort of pedastal.

Not necessarily aimed at you  or anyone in particular but does seem to be the gerneral feeling surrounding Rugby.

And the thing is, I dont necessarily buy into the 'greatest achievement' mantra for Grand Slams. I agree with you. Olympic medals have been won by some of Ireland's finest athletes over the decades Getting to the Women's Hockey World Cup Final in 2018 was a fantastic achievement, given how savagely hard it is. Ken Doherty's World Snooker Championship was joyous. Katie Taylor's pro-career was been fantastic. O'Leary's penalty is etched in everybody's mind who saw it.

Even in football we have had some wonderful recent achievements. The Women's World Cup qualification. The Under 16s and Under 18s winning European titles in 1998, Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk breaking into the group stages of the Europa League, as HB mentioned, the four points of Germany to qualify for Euro 2016, and Robbie Brady's goal. The reality is, achievement in football didnt stop after Big Jack left the job. The difference is, the Men's National Team have been the flagship team, and for the past 6 years have become so run down that our ability to stake a claim for major tournaments is tenuous, at best. Couple that with the governance issues that have dogged the sport, it is no wonder that Irish football isn't enjoying the praise it once was. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Far from obsessed, I've only made a handful of comments on the rugby to be fair.

It's comments like yours that are laughable, thinking we are all in envy of the rugby, we are not. Again, as another poster pointed out, rugby fans winning a friendly game and passing if off as Ireland's greatest achievement is beyond laughable.

Ireland beat the world champions and then drew with them away and no one batted an eyelid.

Rugby is a minority sport in the context of world sports.

Not laughable at all. Again, tests are different to friendlies in a footballing context. And there was a time the friendly in football was seen s a big deal. We all remember Tilburg in 1994, and then Hannover, which gave rise to very welcome hype in advance of USA '94. The England friendly in 1995 was more than just a friendly (sadly it became more than that in a negative way). Over time, football has eaten itself, by bigging up the club game at the expense of international football. That started by expanding the CL, Man U dropping out of the FA Cup, the move to a group format for the Europa League etc, etc. The tope of that was the ESL that was touted.

I dont disagree that it is a minority sport. But that doesn't mean it won't be highly prized and celebrated in the countries that compete. And it seems that people are envious of the commentary it gets, and the support it commands.

And I dont recall the Germany games in 2014/2015 as being 'batted' in fact they were a major deal, with a lot of warm and welcome comment.

The FAI and MSM didn't portray this as the greatest sporting event. They were just good results in the wider context of qualifying for the Euro's. Nothing more.

There was no DVD either.

Badgersboys9 makes some excellent points which I thoroughly agree with.

This one in particular.

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I loved seeing them getting the Grand Slam and wouldn't begrudge any Irish team from doing well in any sport, far from it.

It's the whole 'greatest Irish/achievement ever" etc that comes with the Rugby, and I do feel this country looks down on football, while putting a sport played and followed by a minority on some sort of pedastal.

Not necessarily aimed at you  or anyone in particular but does seem to be the gerneral feeling surrounding Rugby.

Edited by horsebox - 22 Mar 2023 at 2:16pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:20pm

The FAI and MSM didn't portray this as the greatest sporting event. They were just good results in the wider context of qualifying for the Euro's. Nothing more.

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

Well then perhaps the FAI could up their game in terms of making the most of what was a great result, which propelled us to the Euros. That wasn't just any other result, like you said it was a victory over the World Champions, which concurrently capitalised on Scotland losing in Georgia. 

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:57pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

Well then perhaps the FAI could up their game in terms of making the most of what was a great result, which propelled us to the Euros. That wasn't just any other result, like you said it was a victory over the World Champions, which concurrently capitalised on Scotland losing in Georgia. 

I think what some rugby fans need is perspective. The Irish football team had no business beating the world champions in Dublin in a must win game to ensure qualification to the Euros. It was soon forgot and rightly so as we put in an awful performance against the Polish in Warsaw a few days later.  The Test Rugby victory in Chicago which was made into an hour long documentary was contested by the number 1 team in the world vs the 5th best team in the world yet it was portrayed by the media as a David and Goliath type game when it clearly wasn't with little or no Implications had Ireland not won. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

I think what some rugby fans need is perspective. The Irish football team had no business beating the world champions in Dublin in a must win game to ensure qualification to the Euros. It was soon forgot and rightly so as we put in an awful performance against the Polish in Warsaw a few days later.  The Test Rugby victory in Chicago which was made into an hour long documentary was contested by the number 1 team in the world vs the 5th best team in the world yet it was portrayed by the media as a David and Goliath type game when it clearly wasn't with little or no Implications had Ireland not won. 

The NZ result was a holy grail because Ireland had not beaten the AB's before at Senior Level. It was a major block, and had a habit of wrecking results that were 'in the bag' such as the 2013 defeat.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:14pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

It’s nothing to do with Fai though it’s most of the powerful media are South County Dublin types who think everyone cares just as much as them about a boring sport when we don’t.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

It’s nothing to do with Fai though it’s most of the powerful media are South County Dublin types who think everyone cares just as much as them about a boring sport when we don’t.

Yet here you are, commenting on it. Strange, isn’t it?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:31pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

You basically comment on everything yourself so what’s the difference.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:33pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

I have an interest in rugby, and you claim you dont, yet you’re interested enough to comment here.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:38pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

I have an interest in rugby, and you claim you dont, yet you’re interested enough to comment here.
A lot of people here don’t like Rugby yet you still engage with them. That must be very hard for you.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:40pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

A lot of people here don’t like Rugby yet you still engage with them. That must be very hard for you.

Eh no, that’s called debate.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:43pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

Well don’t tell me to stop commenting so.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:44pm

There was no DVD either.

This one in particular.

Well don’t tell me to stop commenting so.

I never told you to stop commenting.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:46pm
I don't mind the sport its the fans and pundits that are the problem. Most rugby fans are absolutely clueless about teams outside Ireland or their respective provinces. 2015 World Cup Ireland played Argentina in the QF we had Irish fans buying tickets for the SF even before the match kicked off, i told a few people (rugger heads) that Argentina would beat us and got laughed at. The 2019 World Cup i said from the start that SA would win the tournament again given their form in the 4 nations a few months earlier , i was again laughed at by the rugger fans.  Bandwagon jumpers most of them.

Edited by jamo1 - 22 Mar 2023 at 3:47pm
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:21pm

I don't think anyone is jealous of the rugby team, a vastly minority sport on the world stage in comparison to football and many other sports.
I'm jealous of what IRFU have created in Ireland.

25 years ago the rugby team was getting wooden spoons and miles off every other nation. IRFU built a grassroots system, schools, colleges, academies, clubs in every town in the country, players could develop, and get an education at the same time,  in Ireland. 

30 years later we've 4 professional teams, where the best of Irish players can play in front of decent crowds every Friday night. The clubs are regular in the last 8 of European Cups. National team obviously flying. We've lads not having to leave Ireland and take up granny rules elsewhere (Ben Healy the most recent going to Scotland).

What I wouldn't give for half that in 25 years from the FAI.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I don't think anyone is jealous of the rugby team, a vastly minority sport on the world stage in comparison to football and many other sports.
I'm jealous of what IRFU have created in Ireland.

25 years ago the rugby team was getting wooden spoons and miles off every other nation. IRFU built a grassroots system, schools, colleges, academies, clubs in every town in the country, players could develop, and get an education at the same time,  in Ireland. 

30 years later we've 4 professional teams, where the best of Irish players can play in front of decent crowds every Friday night. The clubs are regular in the last 8 of European Cups. National team obviously flying. We've lads not having to leave Ireland and take up granny rules elsewhere (Ben Healy the most recent going to Scotland).

What I wouldn't give for half that in 25 years from the FAI.

While I won't disagree about the structural work they've done, there is not a Rugby Club/School in every town in Ireland. 

I know of two towns in Galway, an hour and 15 minutes apart, who have an amalgamated rugby team. That doesn't exactly scream of the massive progression that Donal Lenihan waxes lyrical about in the RTE promo for World Cup later this year
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:46pm
Jesus, stll banging on about this...the pre tournament favourites won a  competition that had 3 competitive teams in a sport played mainly by British and their colonies.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 22 Mar 2023 at 4:46pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Jesus, stll banging on about this...the pre tournament favourites won a  competition that had 3 competitive teams in a sport played mainly by British and their colonies.

Colonial and uncompetitive. The same tired tropes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 394395396397398 470>
  Share Topic