You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 469>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:28pm
Haven't had a chance to catch up on the last 4 pages of posts but great to see so much rugby discussion on the forum today. Big day for the nation Saturday, glad it's getting the attention and the support the team deserves 

Clap

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:56pm
Couldn't agree more Shedite! A Paddy's Weekend miracle!
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Who cares what school they go to? I couldn't give 2 sh1tes. Makes no difference 

Course it does ffs. People from certain backgrounds are disadvantaged because they cannot access these schools, and thus have little realistic prospect of making it in the sport. 

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zeala

Apart from the two lads who went to my school and currently in the 7s and senior squad 

I've posted the starting xv a few pages ago. 9 private, 3 public, 3 foreign.

The biggest predictor of success in rugby in this country isnt talent, or hard work. It's wealth.

What a load of bollix. Money can't buy talent. If your not talented it doesn't matter how much money you have. 

Edited by ripbomb - 16 Mar 2023 at 7:22pm
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:21pm

Course it does ffs. People from certain backgrounds are disadvantaged because they cannot access these schools, and thus have little realistic prospect of making it in the sport. 

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zealand. LOL

Apart from the two lads who went to my school and currently in the 7s and senior squad 

The biggest predictor of success in rugby in this country isnt talent, or hard work. It's wealth.

What a load of bollix. Money can't buy talent. If your not talented it doesn't matter how much money you have. 
You don't need much talent to play rugby 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zealand. LOL

No the professional game is full of chancers alright
I love beer gardens
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:58pm

So tell us, what’s it like being selected for the Lions touring party?
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

the british lions at that too

lets not forget that it has always been a garrison game in this country
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:22pm

The Irish lads are the battering rams with the cauliflower ears. The kiwi’s and South Africans supply the skill in the team.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

the british lions at that too

lets not forget that it has always been a garrison game in this country

Why should we not forget?
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:37pm

Obsessed
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There was a Waterford Whispers headline a few years ago which I found funny

''working class man under the impression he can like rugby too''LOL

Someone in work bought me that mug😂.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 11:55pm

You're absolutely right. Whereas it takes skills only gifted by the gods to pass a ball 5 yards. If you put any sport down to it's most basic level it sounds easy. Lads talking out their holes
MrWhitty View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrWhitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:23am

This isn't exclusive to Ireland and the general perception is you've paid your way into private education.
It's similar in England, Scotland & Wales however what you find is a lot of the kids with raw talent are offered scholarships for rugby to the private schools where rugby is the priority in that school. 

Wealth means nothing if you're not willing to put the effort in. You can't buy your way into the Irish youth set up, particularly when the next Mack Hansen is only a scouting trip and family background check away you've got to work hard to make as a top level professional athlete. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Tis five years residency, not two. Changed a few years back from three.

Pretty sure tis the same rule as football? 

Yes, pretty much exactly the same. Eduardo (Croatia), Pepe (Portugal) were no more from those countries than James Lowe is from Ireland. England even considered calling up Arteta at one point. The only reason the same thing doesn't happen with our football team is because our domestic league isn't strong enough to bring in players who are good enough to play for the national team.

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

[
Has it?

I really don't think it has. How many rugby clubs are from the likes of Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Coolock etc...

Take a look for yourself - https://www.irishrugby.ie/club-finder/

There are 31 other countries outside Dublin you know. Rugby has undoubtedly made inroads around the country in the last 25 years.

[
I've never said that these players arent talented. 

The biggest predictor of success in rugby is wealth. That doesnt mean that all wealthy individuals who make it have no talent LOL.

It means that having money gives you access to colossal advantages which will be a far bigger determinant in your rugby future than natural talent. If a boy from Tallaght who goes to public school has the same level of talent and application as a boy from Blackrock at age 12, the odds of the Blackrock kid making it are astronomically better than the other way around. 

The current system excludes massive swathes of children from quality coaching. If your parents dont have 50k to burn on your secondary education, you have a very, very slim chance of making it.

This kind of thing happens in every sport though. The biggest predictor of being a successful footballer in Ireland is to be born in or near Dublin. There's no way a kid in Leitrim gets the same opportunities in football that a kid in Dublin gets. That comes down to money and investment too. The bit in bold is probably more relevant to football in Ireland than it is to rugby.

Edited by You Tell Me - 17 Mar 2023 at 12:08pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 1:14pm
I only mentioned Dublin as I am more familiar with it as I live here. I am not too familiar with the working class areas in other counties which is why I didn't mention them.

I've no doubt that the IRFU do a much better job at promoting their sport than the FAI do.

But rugby for me will always be for the upper classes...

I went to a rugby playing school so I can see how differently they were treated.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm

I only mentioned Dublin as I am more familiar with it as I live here. I am not too familiar with the working class areas in other counties which is why I didn't mention them.

I've no doubt that the IRFU do a much better job at promoting their sport than the FAI do.

I went to a rugby playing school so I can see how differently they were treated.

Horsey is Eoin O’Broin Shocked
El Puto Amo
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 3:05pm

Zaga beat the Rock Shocked
El Puto Amo
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Horsey is Eoin O’Broin Shocked

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 469>
  Share Topic