You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 470>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
you should have seen the Munster Saracens game yesterday, shocking home crowd for a European cup semi final 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm
The attendances were about what you would expect. Saracens don’t have a big support and Toulouse were never going to travel in big numbers. Stade Limerique had a decent crowd, but the numbers are swelled by sexiness of location.Put that semi final somewhere more trendy and they would have sold it out on their own.
Leinster’s final crowd will be down significantly because of the location. No Giles or Hubert worth their salt would fancy Newcastle for a weekend. 
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:48am
42k in the Aviva, not too bad in fairness 
Some people just deserve a slap
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

42k in the Aviva, not too bad in fairness 

Yeah on an Easter Sunday as well, was thinking the same thing.

The other semi-final was a bit of a joke though - had the look and feel of a pre-season game.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:55pm
The first semi final was farcical. No crowd and played like a testimonial. The competition is dead on it's feet as it stands.

The format is terrible in the knockout stages. They need to find the space in the calendar for home and away 2 legged QF and SF ties. Also the final has to be the showpiece and final game of all European rugby season. The move to play the European Final weeks before the end of the season was comical.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The first semi final was farcical. No crowd and played like a testimonial. The competition is dead on it's feet as it stands.

The format is terrible in the knockout stages. They need to find the space in the calendar for home and away 2 legged QF and SF ties. Also the final has to be the showpiece and final game of all European rugby season. The move to play the European Final weeks before the end of the season was comical.
I have said it before, but rugby has never properly adapted to professionalism.It is still all over the place. They don't know which way it should go and are constantly changing things around without thinking them through. This is especially true in Europe, it is all over the shop.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:46pm
They have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. As much as the World League (or whatever it was called) notion was a bit of a non runner as things stand (not including certain nation's, no relegation, etc.) , something like that as part of a whole revamp of the fixture schedule has to take place. That's obviously a very tricky situation with the rugby seasons totally different in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere, but they are eventually going to have to have a drastic revamp. It will be as much for player welfare as the good of the game that that should happen.

The European rugby side of it is mad though. 2 legged QF and SF games would be massive occasions. It's insane they don't have them. Don't they or didn't they have them in the Challenge Cup for years? Makes little sense. Imagine Munster Leinster 2 legged SF. Munster 10 points down going into the home 2nd leg. The hype and build up to such games would be massive. 

I know there's a huge fixture congestion issue, player welfare also. That is just 2 more fixtures per team though. In a competition that is now gone totally stale. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:06pm
I have to disagree about those semis having good attendances. Most years leinster had no problem selling out a quarter or semi final. The hype around them seems to have diminished in Leinster. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:34pm
Do any competitions in rugby use 2 legged ties?
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:58pm
i have a feeling world Cup qualifiers for some of the smaller nations have 2 legged ties. Don't know how it the qualifiers work but I vegurly remember seeing an aggregate score for one, could be wrong.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

i have a feeling world Cup qualifiers for some of the smaller nations have 2 legged ties. Don't know how it the qualifiers work but I vegurly remember seeing an aggregate score for one, could be wrong.

I don't know what sort of remembering you were doing, I am sure he played for QPR and the USA(through marriage), but you are right. It has also been used for promotion play-offs in England, but it is unusual in rugby
Also, of the litany of problems facing rugby, I am not sure tweaking the structure of tournaments is going to make a huge difference.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I thought the challenge cup or whatever it's called now (the 2nd tier European rugby tournament) was 2 legged at the knockout stages, but I may be mistaken. A quick Google though shows that it was used in that competition as a play off to get into the next year's tournament. So the European rugby body themselves have used it.

The World Cup uses it regularly in play offs for qualifying. English league 2nd tier used to use it at the play off stage also.

While googling, I spotted a Gerry Thornley article on the topic from 4/5 years ago. Saying how the one off home semi finals are ridiculously unfair. From a sporting sense alone, home and away legs are a far fairer way of doing things. From a commercial perspective though, it's a no brainier. It would bring massive buzz to 6 high level European rugby ties. 

The only real argument against it is calendar space. 

Edited by Hans Moleman - 23 Apr 2019 at 5:31pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I thought the challenge cup or whatever it's called now (the 2nd tier European rugby tournament) was 2 legged at the knockout stages, but I may be mistaken. A quick Google though shows that it was used in that competition as a play off to get into the next year's tournament. So the European rugby body themselves have used it.

The World Cup uses it regularly in play offs for qualifying. English league 2nd tier used to use it at the play off stage also.

While googling, I spotted a Gerry Thornley article on the topic from 4/5 years ago. Saying how the one off home semi finals are ridiculously unfair. From a sporting sense alone, home and away legs are a far fairer way of doing things. From a commercial perspective though, it's a no brainier. It would bring massive buzz to 6 high level European rugby ties. 

The only real argument against it is calendar space. 
Only the qualifiers for the European  Challenge Cup, or whatever it is called, can I remember being two-legged. Georgian and Romanian teams playing off for the last berth. I don't think it has been done in a while.

It isn't just calendar space, the French and English teams are complaining about too many games as it is.Were such a suggestion implemented, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the French threatened to pull out. 
The calendar definitely  needs to be worked out properly,between all  hemispheres,clubs, provinces and associations,  something which has never been done. They keep changing it without any forethought whatsoever.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:53pm
Oh I know there would be massive problems with the English and French clubs if the 2 legged ties were proposed. The fact that they were allowed dictate that the European Final be played weeks before the end of all the domestic seasons says it all.

Calendar space and the total shambles that it is, is obviously a big problem. I was just talking about ways that the Champions Cup competition could be revitalised. Moving the final to the last game of the season and 2 legged QF and SF would be hugely positive moves. Will it happen - of course not. The competition will continue to die a slow death instead.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 23 Apr 2019 at 5:54pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:03pm

Oh I know there would be massive problems with the English and French clubs if the 2 legged ties were proposed. The fact that they were allowed dictate that the European Final be played weeks before the end of all the domestic seasons says it all.

Calendar space and the total shambles that it is, is obviously a big problem. I was just talking about ways that the Champions Cup competition could be revitalised. Moving the final to the last game of the season and 2 legged QF and SF would be hugely positive moves. Will it happen - of course not. The competition will continue to die a slow death instead.
There have always been problems with it, I don't think anything has changed really. It is a mixture of clubs, provinces and regions with differing agendas. I don't know why anyone thinks it is dying a death now? Certainly not anymore than before! It seems to be because Leinster lost six thousand fans from last year?
As I said above, Stade Limerique's crowd would have been more if it was a better trip for the wives. Can you even get Coors Light in Coventry?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:04pm
Stade Limerique LOL

I doff the cap to you sir
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:21pm

Stade Limerique LOL

I doff the cap to you sir
That's an old one, always liked it myself!LOL

Thinking about it, I would say Leinster had the same number there on Sunday as they had last year, the drop was probably the 'away' numbers.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 4:35pm
Yet again Ireland spectacularly fail to peak for the world cup. Trailing England 43-10 with 20 minutes left and looking out on their feet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 470>
  Share Topic