You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Does Jackson have a wife/girlfriend?
Trying to get my head around why he’s lying about intercourse
Surely a wife or girlfriend wouldn't be too relaxed about him digitally penetrating someone either?
I assume he just thought he could lie through the whole thing and get away with it.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:27am
He's never married. Pretty sure he's single as well
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Surely a wife or girlfriend wouldn't be too relaxed about him digitally penetrating someone either?
I assume he just thought he could lie through the whole thing and get away with it.

Of course they wouldn’t, I wasn’t trying to say they would, I just can’t understand his reasoning for saying there wasn’t intercourse.
Surely his best defence would’ve been telling all who’d listen that it was consensual and never moving from that story.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:01am

Of course they wouldn’t, I wasn’t trying to say they would, I just can’t understand his reasoning for saying there wasn’t intercourse.
Surely his best defence would’ve been telling all who’d listen that it was consensual and never moving from that story.
I agree, it was illogical. Perhaps he was going to deny everything an then his legal team saw about the vaginal tear and said you will have to admit some form of sexual contact.
I really fail to see why he didn't say there was consensual sex myself. I cannot see how these lads are not guilty?
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

All very possible Andy. No doubt such a situation has happened numerous times. The evidence and statements so far that have been disclosed in court, don't point towards this at all though. By far the most damning of all is Jackson lying about having sexual intercourse with her. Why would he lie? It's so bad for the defense, when a defense witness is shattering every bit of credibility of one of the defendants. How can anything he says again in this case be taken as truth? In contrast, I'm not sure if the victims story has been discredited at any stage, at least definitely not on any major point like that from what we have heard in the media reports.

We can only go on what the victim has said, what the witnesses have said, and then the statements of the defendants as I'm doubting they will take the stand. So far, every thing that has come out, her texts to friends, their whatsapp messages to one another, the taxi drivers account, even the female witness for the defense has more or less backed up everything the victim has said happened and also destroyed Jacksons credibility from here on in. I don't think people realise how important that is. Their whole defense is based on these lads telling stories that back each other up, and you have the main defendant saying he never had sex with the victim. Where can the defense possibly go from here?

All the witnesses so far have been prosecution witnesses.

Defense witnesses will be rolled out after the prosecution has finished its case.
There likely wont be very many defense witnesses.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:06am
Can't see myself either how these lads are not guilty. Stranger things have happened though when it comes down to a jury making a call. Btw what is the story there, is it a unanimous decision on a rape charge? Or 10/11 jurors does etc.? And what's the count on the rest of the chargers?

@SimonCox, cheers for that. Was wondering, I made a balls of that while reading the reports.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 15 Feb 2018 at 10:08am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:07am

I agree, it was illogical. Perhaps he was going to deny everything an then his legal team saw about the vaginal tear and said you will have to admit some form of sexual contact.
I really fail to see why he didn't say there was consensual sex myself. I cannot see how these lads are not guilty?

I think they’re guilty myself, on the evidence so far anyway

I also think they’ve been poorly advised & poorly represented.
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:16am

The lies can only be to cover up.

Jackson accused of rape - Jackson denies having sex with her.

McIlroy accused of exposure - McIlroy claims he had consensual sexual contact with the victim. He claims she "masturbated him". She said that's completely incorrect, that this is a rape trial and if he touched her she would say it.

It makes sense that the man would say he had consensual sexual contact. Its his only defense against exposure, except maybe to say he was never in the room. The independent witnesses have talked about him being downstairs saying to them "lets have sex". He sent a whatsapp to jackson saying "any chance of a threesome."

So it may seem odd that one person denies having sex with her, and the other claims he did have sexual contact with her despite her saying she didnt. But you can see why they gave those versions.

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 10:44am
Maybe Jacksons Ma is deeply religious and doesn't consent to sex outside of marriage and that is why he is lying LOL
daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The taxi drivers account again today backs up everything this girl has said so far. The lads talking in code and in hushes on the phone as he drops her off. The state of the victim in the taxi. The fact that the taxi driver could sense that something was wrong with her and she was very shook.

Obviously common sense doesn't convict anyone, but imagine such a scenario happened where you were in a house party with other pals of yours. 2 of the lads were upstairs with a girl, having according to them a consensual threesome. Why would you, sitting downstairs, and having no role in the sexual action, feel at the end of the night the need to drop the girl involved in this threesome home? None of that makes sense. Only 2 logical reasons why any lad would do such a thing - to try it on with her yourself, which by all accounts he didn't. Or to comfort someone in distress, which is exactly what the taxi driver says happened. If it was a consensual threesome, would the girl be distressed straight after it taking place? I don't think so. She may regret it the following day or whatever, but she's not going to be totally shook moments after the consensual threesome took place, is she? The hushed and coded talking on the phone again only point to one thing. Why would you be so secretive chatting on the phone to friends if all was ok?

Again none of this evidence or statements given are black and white. They all point one way though. As do her text messages the day after, the lads whatsapp messages to one another the day after. The fact that Jackson has lied about having intercourse with the victim according to the witness yesterday - that is absolutely damning.

The physical evidence will obviously be huge, but as of now it's very hard to see how most of these lads won't be in big trouble. Jurors are only human though so I guess you never know.

Btw, it surely is not normal that a rape victim has to take the stand for over a week of examination is it? Is this just because there are numerous barristers involved in the defense team? That must take some toll on that woman.

I'm not looking to support them with my response, but more to give argument to a few things you've stated.

he could have lived nearby to hers and so decided to share a taxi. he could have called her a taxi and said feck it I'm legging it as well.

speaking in coded or quietly could easily also be the fact that he felt awkward being on the phone with the victim sitting beside him.

I can't imagine lads whatsapping each other the day after saying "oh f**k, what did we do last night". their response seems to suggest, in their eyes, that it was a threesome that was more on the consensual side rather than not

8 days is a very long time to take the stand, and yea I reckon it is because there are four defendants. was very surprised when I heard that this case could last for five weeks.

taxi drivers account may not be entirely accurate either. he would be picking up and driving home drunk girls and guys every weekend, why this particular incident stands out ? its not possible you can recall specific details of a conversation on an given night anyway  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:26pm
The taxi driver said that when the police contacted him a few days later "I knew straight away what it was in relation to".
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:28pm
The complainant's friend is being shown the same CCTV footage from Ollies nightclub that was shown to the alleged victim during her evidence.
Paddy Jackson's barrister puts it to the witness that the complainant was determined to go to an afters party after Ollies nightclub and that she simply "gave up on her" and left the club to go home. She says that's a bit strong.
The witness is asked about the text she received from the complainant the following morning which alleged she had been raped and was followed by five upside down smiley face emojis. She's asked about those emojis and she says they're used "when something goes wrong"
The witness is reminded of a text exchange she had with the complainant 12 days before the alleged rapes. They discussed rape in general. She text: "If I ever get raped, I'm never going to the police"
Mr. Kelly QC asked why she wouldn't go to police and she said: "Because of what's happening in this room. It's daunting, quite horrible and you get blamed. It's a distressing process".
Under cross-examination, the complainant's friend tells the court: "I assumed she was telling the truth. She wouldn't lie to me"
Witness is asked if complainant mentioned being "petrified" that what she was "engaged in or subjected to" would be on social media during the course of their text exchanges over June 28/29 2016. She said: "I don't think so"
She is also asked if there was any mention of her being forced to give oral sex during those text exchanges. The court hears there was no mention of it in her statement to police and she accepts it was her understanding that her friend had been "vaginally raped" by two men.
When she drove to her friend's house to take her to the rape crisis centre, she said her friend immediately hugged her and started to cry. She said she didn't even know how to respond because she had never been like that with her.
She said she's known her since she was 12 and she has seen her through some sad things but she said she usually keeps her composure

daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:36pm
fair enough so
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm
I don't think Jackson's barrister cross-examined the complainant on the basis that they didn't have sex. I think it is accepted at this stage that he did have sex. I don't recall the cross-examination being that he didn't have sex. He may have lied about to police, but there are many possible reasons for that, besides rape, as has been pointed out... he may give evidence and accept that he had sex, and even that he now knows she wasn't consenting. But we shall see.

Anyway, on the basic point, the prosecution has to prove three things to prove a rape charge:

1) that the complainant and the accused had penetrative sex;
2) that the complainant was not, in fact, consenting to that sex; and
3) (this being the important part in this case) a) that the accused actually knew or believed the complainant was not consenting and had or continued to have sex nonetheless
OR b) even if the accused believed that the complainant was consenting throughout, that that belief was not reasonable in the objective circumstances of the case.

I think it is possible in this case that the prosecution will prove that she was raped (i.e. that 1 and 2 applied) but not, necessarily, prove either part of three; it seems it may come down to the second part. Even if these lads are acquitted, it does not mean that she was not actually raped by them, just that the prosecution have not proved their mental state surrounding the issue of consent.

With murder / manslaughter etc, it is similar, but the different words help. For instance, it can be proved that an accused person killed a victim, but it might not be murder (if, for example, it is manslaughter, or even self-defence). It can be the case that a victim is raped, but it might not be sufficient for the accused to be convicted. If there were different words for the act and the offence it would help - for instance, in murder, there is the killing (i.e. the act of killing) and then the murder (i.e. killing, with the added element of unlawful intent to cause death or serious injury). For rape, there aren't separate words for the act (i.e., intercourse without consent of the victim) and the offence (i.e., intercourse without the consent of the victim, with the added element that the perpetrator knows or ought to know of the lack of consent).

Anyway, we'll see when we get past the prosecution evidence what is happening.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Feb 2018 at 1:04pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 1:28pm

SD, a query on point 3 above; If a defendant believes that the sex is consensual then it's not rape?
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm
If that belief is objectively reasonable, it should be an acquittal.

The jury will have to be satisfied, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the defendant's belief was not objectively reasonable.
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm
SD, how long would you "expect" a trial of this nature to last for? 

when i did jury service most seemed to be within 2 weeks...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
They said five weeks at the start.

This is unusual, given the number of defendants. More defendants equals a longer trial, just about every time.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 470>
  Share Topic