You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 393394395396397 469>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:17am
I don't really get the whole "recreating Italia 90" thing. I don't think that can be recreated in football either, Ireland is a very different place now to 1990. You just wouldn't get the same reaction now if we made another quarter final. It would be good, but just not on the same level. 

Let's face it, Ireland was a sh*thole back then with next to no track record of international sporting success. So the place went absolutely mental when we finally had some. It would be a lot more muted now. Maybe if we made a final it might get somewhere close.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:21am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't really get the whole "recreating Italia 90" thing. I don't think that can be recreated in football either, Ireland is a very different place now to 1990. You just wouldn't get the same reaction now if we made another quarter final. It would be good, but just not on the same level. 

Let's face it, Ireland was a sh*thole back then with next to no track record of international sporting success. So the place went absolutely mental when we finally had some. It would be a lot more muted now. Maybe if we made a final it might get somewhere close.

I'd even argue there was a marked difference in the way we celebrated USA '94 and Korea/Japan '02. USA '94 definitely had some efforts in recreating the parties in the street after games, and the build up was pretty emphatic. The difficulty is the return on the pitch was not as positive, and I think there was undoubtedly some discomfort in the whole party in the park after the homecoming. Korea/Japan was certainly quieter than that. It wasn't helped by the timing of the games, but it was watched with great interest and support, but there was little or no hanging from the lampposts.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd even argue there was a marked difference in the way we celebrated USA '94 and Korea/Japan '02. USA '94 definitely had some efforts in recreating the parties in the street after games, and the build up was pretty emphatic. The difficulty is the return on the pitch was not as positive, and I think there was undoubtedly some discomfort in the whole party in the park after the homecoming. Korea/Japan was certainly quieter than that. It wasn't helped by the timing of the games, but it was watched with great interest and support, but there was little or no hanging from the lampposts.

It would be unbearable now people trying to outdo each other for social media likes
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:33pm
After 6 nations the following is how the world cup groups set up rankings wise

We are in group B

A: 2nd, 3rd and 14th

B: 1st, 4th and 5th

C: 7th, 9th and 13th

D: 6th, 8th and 10th

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:51pm
You really dont have to go far down the rankings before you encounter absolute rubbish. Japan have a top 10 spot based on stuff they did 4 years ago. Wales one spot above them in 9th with 2 Six Nations wins in 2 years. Really sums up just how uncompetitive the whole thing is.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

You really dont have to go far down the rankings before you encounter absolute rubbish. Japan have a top 10 spot based on stuff they did 4 years ago. Wales one spot above them in 9th with 2 Six Nations wins in 2 years. Really sums up just how uncompetitive the whole thing is.

Japan fell just short of breaking their group in 2015.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:07pm

Japan fell just short of breaking their group in 2015.

Iceland qualified for a European Championship quarter final in 2016 and are now 63rd.

World Cup Quarter finalists of 2018, Sweden are ranked 23rd.

Euro 2020 (2021 really) quarter finalists Czech Republic are ranked 38th.

You don't maintain high rankings based on stuff you did years ago in football.

You can have done literally nothing for 4 years, except lose the majority of friendlies you've played, and be a top 10 team in rugby. Its farcical.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:12pm

Iceland qualified for a European Championship quarter final in 2016 and are now 63rd.

You can have done literally nothing for 4 years, except lose the majority of friendlies you've played, and be a top 10 team in rugby. Its farcical.

Why does it have to be compared to football? I really think you're angle is jealousy at the cache that rugby has, given its reality small franchise.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:25pm

Why does it have to be compared to football? I really think you're angle is jealousy at the cache that rugby has, given its reality small franchise.

The angle is that our achievements in the sport are being blown spectacularly put of proportion, journalists are on the record as saying that a bloody friendly win in rugby is our greatest ever sporting achievement. LOL

Incessant talk about being ranked number 1 this week on the sporting media circuit which means pretty much f*ck all when you consider you have teams in the top 10 who havent done a tap for 4 years.

Every world cup cycle it's always the same. Look at us, arent we the best, isnt rugby the best, and then out in the quarter finals to one of the 8 other teams in the world that take the sport seriously. Some going.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:26pm
I don't think anyone is jealous of the rugby team, a vastly minority sport on the world stage in comparison to football and many other sports.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:27pm
Why do they do the World Cup draw so far ahead of the tournament anyway? Surely, it would make more sense to do it, say, this weekend - after the 6N has finished so the rankings and seedings are more accurate and there's still plenty of time for the fans to book their travel and accommodation with just under 6 months to go.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:28pm

It's a sport, people tend to compare sports against one another.

No matter what way you look at it, theres literally a handful of teams worldwide who are even competitive.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 22 Mar 2023 at 1:28pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:33pm

The angle is that our achievements in the sport are being blown spectacularly put of proportion, journalists are on the record as saying that a bloody friendly win in rugby is our greatest ever sporting achievement. LOL

Incessant talk about being ranked number 1 this week on the sporting media circuit which means pretty much f*ck all when you consider you have teams in the top 10 who havent done a tap for 4 years.

Every world cup cycle it's always the same. Look at us, arent we the best, isnt rugby the best, and then out in the quarter finals to one of the 8 other teams in the world that take the sport seriously. Some going.

They're called test matches, because they are still taken seriously. Perhaps a hangover from the amateur era, but such is life.

You still have to do well agains those other 10 teams to be ranked Number 1.

And then there will be the World Cup where Ireland DONT go out in the QF, and that boring line of argument will be redundant.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't think anyone is jealous of the rugby team, a vastly minority sport on the world stage in comparison to football and many other sports.

Then why the obsession amongst some posters here? I would actually think if the football team were doing as well as we were in the 1990s (or even seven eight years ago), people would either simply acknowledge the result and move on, or actually enjoy it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

No matter what way you look at it, theres literally a handful of teams worldwide who are even competitive.

Thats true, but it doesn't make a sport better. We can enjoy the Morocco story from Qatar 2022, but in the end, the ultimate winner was going to be a nation that had won two titles already.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:46pm

Then why the obsession amongst some posters here? I would actually think if the football team were doing as well as we were in the 1990s (or even seven eight years ago), people would either simply acknowledge the result and move on, or actually enjoy it.

Far from obsessed, I've only made a handful of comments on the rugby to be fair.

It's comments like yours that are laughable, thinking we are all in envy of the rugby, we are not. Again, as another poster pointed out, rugby fans winning a friendly game and passing if off as Ireland's greatest achievement is beyond laughable.

Ireland beat the world champions and then drew with them away and no one batted an eyelid.

Rugby is a minority sport in the context of world sports.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:51pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Thats true, but it doesn't make a sport better. We can enjoy the Morocco story from Qatar 2022, but in the end, the ultimate winner was going to be a nation that had won two titles already.

I loved seeing them getting the Grand Slam and wouldn't begrudge any Irish team from doing well in any sport, far from it.

It's the whole 'greatest Irish/achievement ever" etc that comes with the Rugby, and I do feel this country looks down on football, while putting a sport played and followed by a minority on some sort of pedastal.

Not necessarily aimed at you  or anyone in particular but does seem to be the gerneral feeling surrounding Rugby.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 22 Mar 2023 at 1:52pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:54pm

Far from obsessed, I've only made a handful of comments on the rugby to be fair.

It's comments like yours that are laughable, thinking we are all in envy of the rugby, we are not. Again, as another poster pointed out, rugby fans winning a friendly game and passing if off as Ireland's greatest achievement is beyond laughable.

Ireland beat the world champions and then drew with them away and no one batted an eyelid.

Rugby is a minority sport in the context of world sports.

Not laughable at all. Again, tests are different to friendlies in a footballing context. And there was a time the friendly in football was seen s a big deal. We all remember Tilburg in 1994, and then Hannover, which gave rise to very welcome hype in advance of USA '94. The England friendly in 1995 was more than just a friendly (sadly it became more than that in a negative way). Over time, football has eaten itself, by bigging up the club game at the expense of international football. That started by expanding the CL, Man U dropping out of the FA Cup, the move to a group format for the Europa League etc, etc. The tope of that was the ESL that was touted.

I dont disagree that it is a minority sport. But that doesn't mean it won't be highly prized and celebrated in the countries that compete. And it seems that people are envious of the commentary it gets, and the support it commands.

And I dont recall the Germany games in 2014/2015 as being 'batted' in fact they were a major deal, with a lot of warm and welcome comment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 393394395396397 469>
  Share Topic