You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 391392393394395 469>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 12:23am

Amazing achievement. 

Beat the worst England team in 50 years
Beat worst Wales team in decades 
Beat Italy...wow
Beat Scotland ..... heroic performance 
And beat France (in Dublin)

Just utterly amazing

Give them the 'World' Cup now.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:01am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Are all rugby nations as dismissive about the importance of a World Cup or is it just an Ireland thing? Sexton afterwards was talking to the interviewer saying how the 6 nations is the best tournament to play in. Especially in a world Cup year, found that an odd thing to say. 

My recollection of the interview was he was prompted towards how great the six nations is, something like "How great is it to become the top scorer in Six Nations history", to which he responded its the best competition in the world. Bit like saying on Sky Sports that the Premier League is the best competition in the world.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:03am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Amazing achievement. 

Beat Italy...wow

Just utterly amazing

What is ridiculous is to not actually consider it a major achievement and belittle it. 

Can pick holes anywhere you want to find them. 
Argentina won the fifa World Cup even though they only won on penos against a poor Netherlands side. And only won the final on penos too. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 19 Mar 2023 at 9:04am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Amazing achievement. 

Beat Italy...wow

Just utterly amazing

What is ridiculous is to not actually consider it a major achievement and belittle it. 

Can pick holes anywhere you want to find them. 
Argentina won the fifa World Cup even though they only won on penos against a poor Netherlands side. And only won the final on penos too. 

You forgot that they were also beaten by Saudi Arabia in the groups 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 10:39am

Amazing achievement. 

Beat Italy...wow

Just utterly amazing

If we're going down that road...

- Best Scotland team in 20 years
- Likely the best French team in decades if not ever - currently the number 1 ranked team in the world other than Ireland
- We become the first team in the professional era to win a Grand Slam winning each match by double digit scores
- Four Six Nations titles in 10 years, we're the most successful team of the last decade
- We have now won more matches in the Six Nations than any other team

People always say there only so many teams that take rugby seriously - but two of them are England and France. Imagine where we'd be if we were better than England and France at football, or if we had the best win rate out of Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland and France in the last 25 years.

Credit where it's due. Especially when you consider that it's only the fourth most popular sport in the country. Our rugby team is excellent.

Edited by You Tell Me - 19 Mar 2023 at 10:41am
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 10:46am
Why not just say ranked no2 in the world 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 10:55am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Why not just say ranked no2 in the world 

Because we can't beat ourselves. The point is that they're the strongest team we could have played against and we beat them.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Amazing achievement. 

Beat Italy...wow

Just utterly amazing

If we're going down that road...

- Best Scotland team in 20 years
- Likely the best French team in decades if not ever - currently the number 1 ranked team in the world other than Ireland
- We become the first team in the professional era to win a Grand Slam winning each match by double digit scores
- Four Six Nations titles in 10 years, we're the most successful team of the last decade
- We have now won more matches in the Six Nations than any other team

People always say there only so many teams that take rugby seriously - but two of them are England and France. Imagine where we'd be if we were better than England and France at football, or if we had the best win rate out of Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland and France in the last 25 years.

Credit where it's due. Especially when you consider that it's only the fourth most popular sport in the country. Our rugby team is excellent.

Agree, and whether or not that results in a RWC win, or even progression in the knock out stages, that remains to be seen. But this is another great achievement, especially as England dug in. As much as the anti-rugby crowd like to belittle 'dead-rubber' test matches, England went out to limit Ireland and try for a snatch and grab win. Blocking a Grand Slam is a legitimate aim, and does take the sheen off a championship, if you are going for both in the same weekend.

Farrell has drilled the team very, very well, and this has been a particularly impressive Six Nations performance. Much like the Dublin GAA team, there has been historic metal weaknesses, and flaws, once they were set aside, it became clear that Dublin were the team to beat. Right now, we are.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The crowd are very quiet.  Probably cant clap and hold the Brown Thomas bag at the same time I suppose.

Fair play to Paul McShane for handing out the medals.
The atmosphere in the Aviva will always be a let down because too many genuine rugby fans don't get tickets. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 1:42pm

THE TEAM OF US!

Amazing crowd yesterday.

Such passion!!

A cacophony of sound.

Number one team in the whole world.  And the rugby World is HUGE
So many top teams

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 1:44pm

THE TEAM OF US!

Amazing crowd yesterday.

Such passion!!

A cacophony of sound.

So many top teams

You haven't a clue have you
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:10pm
I agree there are problems with the atmosphere for Ireland rugby games at the Aviva. But don't be fooled into thinking that the same couldn't happen to the football team. If and when the team gets good again you can be sure the FAI will jack the prices up and a lot of ordinary supporters will be left outside the gate. 

It will be largely the same people that can afford the sky high ticket prices for the rugby that will pay similar amounts to watch the football team if we get back to qualifying for major tournaments. 

The bottom line is the Aviva is too small, so once demand for seats significantly exceeds supply this will always be an issue.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:12pm

I agree there are problems with the atmosphere for Ireland rugby games at the Aviva. But don't be fooled into thinking that the same couldn't happen to the football team. If and when the team gets good again you can be sure the FAI will jack the prices up and a lot of ordinary supporters will be left outside the gate. 

It will be largely the same people that can afford the sky high ticket prices for the rugby that will pay similar amounts to watch the football team if we get back to qualifying for major tournaments. 

The bottom line is the Aviva is too small, so once demand for seats significantly exceeds supply this will always be an issue.

In spite of our dreary results, our fans are proper supporters and can whip up a good noise against bigger opposition. And show real passion. We all watch basement level games in the hopes of a new prospect. 

Rugby,  and fair play to them, attracts alot of supporters who have never had any connection or passion for the game. You can see it clearly. 

I find the upper middle class element of Rugby difficult to warm to.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm

In spite of our dreary results, our fans are proper supporters and can whip up a good noise against bigger opposition. And show real passion. We all watch basement level games in the hopes of a new prospect. 

Rugby,  and fair play to them, attracts alot of supporters who have never had any connection or passion for the game. You can see it clearly. 

I find the upper middle class element of Rugby difficult to warm to.

Football has the ‘real’ fans. And let’s be honest, it’s easier to accept the so-called ‘basement’ level if you’re getting your weekly kicks of Celtic or Man United, or whatever overseas team you choose.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 11:49pm

THE TEAM OF US!

Amazing crowd yesterday.

Such passion!!

A cacophony of sound.

So many top teams

Football is probably bigger then the next 6 team sports combined. Every other team sport has a fairly limited number of decent countries playing it that can win the top prizes. 

The GAA should also cease as a sporting organisation as it's completely failed to be played at a decent level outside of this island
It would damage this forums' reputation
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:57am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The crowd are very quiet.  Probably cant clap and hold the Brown Thomas bag at the same time I suppose.

The atmosphere in the Aviva will always be a let down because too many genuine rugby fans don't get tickets. 
In fairness i think what's happened to Credit Suisse had them all spooked!
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Their portfolio took a hell of a hit!!

9 World Cups 
Failed to make QF in 2
QF defeat in the other 7 with some serious hidings handed out

That is beyond bad in a sport with 8 or 9  teams
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 2:01pm

Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Their portfolio took a hell of a hit!!

9 World Cups 
Failed to make QF in 2
QF defeat in the other 7 with some serious hidings handed out

That is beyond bad in a sport with 8 or 9  teams
"Daddy, why is the bad man saying this...?"
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 391392393394395 469>
  Share Topic