Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wes Hoolahan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 101>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:32am
Really is a pity he is 34 if we make it to Russia he'll be 36 can't see him being involved,

Sponsored Links

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm
World class ball for McLean yeah he's 34 but honestly think he's playing better now than ever before
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 2:24pm
How many away games in qualifying has he started under O'Neill? Well started in the big games?? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

How many away games in qualifying has he started under O'Neill? Well started in the big games?? 

I think balls.ie had an article on it a while back, that he's started every game he's been available for except for Poland away (when he came to MON himself and said he was jaded)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

He started in Bosnia and against Sweden and Belgium at the euros.

Gibraltar was the only other game he started last campaign away and Moldova this.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:19am
If I remember correctly, only Long and McClean have more appearances for O'Neill than Wes.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:59am
Thanks for clearing that up lads

He didn't get any time against Serbia did he? Did he start against Georgia? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:26pm
No, didn't feature in either game.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:04pm
Once again, he provided ammunition for both the doubters and dreamers whether he should be included or not.

Yes, he was easily muscled off the ball a few times far too easily and on another day losing possession in front of our dodgy back four might have cost us dearly. But his clever interplay with Brady in the first half could have yielded a Walter's goal and his sublime pass for McClean's winner in the end made all the difference.
If he can keep himself fit and available, it looks likely that O'Neill will trust him to deliver, some times. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 8:53am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 9:46am
Was listening to Second Captains and Dion Fanning made the point that at international level you can get away with the mistakes Wes made a lot more than you can at elite level club football. Obviously the very top sides would punish us badly if we give away the ball outside our own box, but against teams in and around our level the risk isn't as great as the reward of having Wes in the team. His flicks in and around the Austria box and obviously the pass for the goal outweigh any mistakes he might make because the likelihood is we won't be punished for them.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Was listening to Second Captains and Dion Fanning made the point that at international level you can get away with the mistakes Wes made a lot more than you can at elite level club football. Obviously the very top sides would punish us badly if we give away the ball outside our own box, but against teams in and around our level the risk isn't as great as the reward of having Wes in the team. His flicks in and around the Austria box and obviously the pass for the goal outweigh any mistakes he might make because the likelihood is we won't be punished for them.
listened to that, and tbh pure nonsense. fanning is such a spoofer. totally negating the fact that we scored with one turnover in play. and we are considered and inferior team to austria.

First 15 minutes he gave the ball away 5 times, usually it was actually getting caught in possession or being muscled off it. 

He has that class unlike another player in the squad, but it is easy to see why he might be overlooked playing against certain teams. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 2:19pm
I dunno, I think the point was a team won't capitalise on that kind of mistake as much in international football as club, and the fact we scored off the turnover backs it up that you have Wes in there - would anyone else in an Ireland shirt have been able or willing to make the pass he made? 

Just thought it was an interesting point because I do think in general international football is slower and you're not up against the ruthlessness of club football for the most part. Obvious exceptions of the top top countries. 
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I dunno, I think the point was a team won't capitalise on that kind of mistake as much in international football as club, and the fact we scored off the turnover backs it up that you have Wes in there - would anyone else in an Ireland shirt have been able or willing to make the pass he made? 

Just thought it was an interesting point because I do think in general international football is slower and you're not up against the ruthlessness of club football for the most part. Obvious exceptions of the top top countries. 
not really, my point was Austria got punished by an inferior team after losing the ball high up the pitch. That proves its a nonsense point imo. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 3:17pm
Ah I getcha, fair point
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:34pm
Completely out of favour for Norwich over the last few weeks, unsurprisingly they've gone on a horrible run.... You'd think they'd have learned what happens when he gets dropped by now, but obviously not.
We're decent enough..
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 10:01pm
Alex Neil clueless
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 6:19pm
First start in over a month today, Norwich defeat in-form Derby County 3-0....
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 101>
  Share Topic