Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wes Hoolahan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I remember all the talk of him being left out of the ireland team because he may be defensively suspect when he was in his prime.

And he's still turning games around at 73 years old.

Defensively suspect. The biggest myth when I came to Wes. The amount of running and tracking back and winning the ball back that he did was quite incredible for somebody who was always labelled a luxury player.
I disagree. He is still a bit suspect even in League Two, players glide past him. His yellow card today was a hilarious example. He more than makes up for it at the other end!
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I remember all the talk of him being left out of the ireland team because he may be defensively suspect when he was in his prime.

Defensively suspect. The biggest myth when I came to Wes. The amount of running and tracking back and winning the ball back that he did was quite incredible for somebody who was always labelled a luxury player.
I disagree. He is still a bit suspect even in League Two, players glide past him. His yellow card today was a hilarious example. He more than makes up for it at the other end!

I should have qualified that by saying I'm referring to the Wes that was playing for Ireland.

I don't doubt that his current ability to move is more akin to somebody walking through a paddy field wearing wellington boots.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:46pm
I would say it is a similar problem, comparatively. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 12:06pm
Nominated for League Two Player of the Season. Winner announced on Thursday.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:28pm
Wes makes the League 2 Team of the Season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:49pm
Harrogate 4-4 Cambridge.

So far Hoolahan's scored, assisted, and won a penalty.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:53pm

"God I love Wes"
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Hes nearly 40 ffs 😁.

The point about running and tracking back is bang on. There was a myth about wes being a luxury player. That wasnt fair imo. The chap had a great attitude and was a class act. It's a shame we didnt use him enough 

Edited by Wheelo - 30 Apr 2021 at 9:27pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 4:24pm
Another goal today from a free kick. Cambridge going up.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:45pm
Love you wee man Cry

https://twitter.com/rramesss/status/1391321683038982144?s=20
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 1:30pm
Signs a new deal with Cambridge.  PM will be a very happy man 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 2:33pm
Kenny should call him up for the craic would be better than most of the current lot
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 12:53pm
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 3:02pm
Would be great to see. With Doyle coming back from Bolton and possibly Wes to Shels, its nice to see lads returing to the LOI. Add to the profile of the League.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Would be great to see. With Doyle coming back from Bolton and possibly Wes to Shels, its nice to see lads returing to the LOI. Add to the profile of the League.

Graham Carey supposed to be leaving Bulgaria and returning to Ireland this summer after his contract ends. He'd be a great signing for whoever gets him.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:32am
good shout there hh, I’d love to see Carey back at bohs but I would say maybe more likely at pats or shels, both seem to have a lot of spare cash atm.
No Pasaran!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 8:43pm
Wes, sporting a ponytail, almost scored directly from a corner for Cambridge today. It ultimately went down as an Anthony Pilkington own goal, which means his long wait for a first goal of the season goes on unabated.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 4:59pm
Wes has left Cambridge.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101>
  Share Topic