Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wes Hoolahan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 101>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Dano Dano wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Must be heartbreaking for lads like Houlahan knowing that no matter how well they are playing in the PL they will not even make the squad

He'll get his chance before next June

By which time he will be 30 Cry
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

Mafi Mushkila View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafi Mushkila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:35am
I feel sorry for Wes the chap must think what have I got to do to get a look in. I really think it is wrong that he has not been included in any recent squads because based on performances he is consistently playing well at club level. Wes has always been of those players that will give his all week in week out. He was always a pleasure to watch at LOI level he always had some trick up his sleeve. 
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:45am
makes no difference if hes in the squad trap wont play him, reckon he will get his chance in the friendlys and will be included in the squad for the euros should we get there
Dano View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Trapcandoit Trapcandoit wrote:

It's not so much Hoolahan I worry about but the other chap- Pilkilton. If he keeps impressing Capello may well snap him up from us.
(Apologies if I spelt the name wrong there)

Is Anthony Pilkington definitely on board with us? I know he played for out U21's once but might it not be the same as that American lad Conor Doyle, where he is just testing the water?

I noticed that Duff was on the bench for Fulham yesterday I wonder if he was dropped or maybe there an injury.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Dano Dano wrote:

It's not so much Hoolahan I worry about but the other chap- Pilkington. If he keeps impressing Capello may well snap him up from us.
(Apologies if I spelt the name wrong there)

Is Anthony Pilkington definitely on board with us? I know he played for out U21's once but might it not be the same as that American lad Conor Doyle, where he is just testing the water?

I noticed that Duff was on the bench for Fulham yesterday I wonder if he was dropped or maybe there an injury.

Cant see Capello capping him anytime soon , esp with the amount of wingers England have + he has jumped from League 1 to the EPL only this season....

Conor Doyle switched back to America im nearly sure , as for Pilks he declared for Ireland a few years ago & played for our u21s but i think in the past year or so he is still undecided whether to throw his lot in with us or not!! In saying that has Trap or Tardelli even approached him , as the saying goes "you wont know , unless you ask"

Pilkington & Tierney are two obvious options we should really try & get on board once the Estonia games are done with....

Trap will have in an around 20 players who are nailed on to make the European Championship Squad if we qualify straight after the Estona game , bar injuries or suspensions i can see probably 3 places max that are up for grabs in his squad...Wes is defo good enough but he hasnt got a hope i reckon which is a pity
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:27am
if David Silva was irish he would struggle to get into the squad
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
Jees, I'm nearly as worried about the set up of the next friendly as I am about that of the upcoming playoffs these daysLOL 'Really hope Hoolahan, Pilkington (thanks guys) and Best all get a run out along with the rest of the up and comers.

Edited by Trapcandoit - 24 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
5 goals to go Robbie!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:46am

Jees, I'm nearly as worried about the set up of the next friendly than I am about that of the upcoming playoffs these daysLOL 'Really hope Hoolahan, Pilkington (thanks guys) and Best all get a run out along with the rest of the up and comers.

Mate believe me we all hope Trap does a Football Manager on it for our next friendly & throws in Wilson , Pilks , Tierney , Hoolahan ,  McCarthy , Clark , Brady etc etc but it wont happen LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

if David Silva was irish he would struggle to get into the squad

True actually
The only way is up
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:57am
 Trapattoni toni toni
 Bring on Tony Tony Tony!
              Big smile             
5 goals to go Robbie!
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:45am

if we make it through these qualifiers then we better see a lot of call ups in the forthcoming friendlies and some new formations , if we go to the euros with the same midfield then we are hosed , trap must surely know that in his heart of hearts....

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
SpikeySpec View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpikeySpec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:57am
I do like Trap, but his squad selections make no sense! Best, starting in the premier league, and playing brilliantly, hoolahan, getting rave reviews and Pilkington, also scoring a lot! :et alone the James McCarthy saga... Instead we have Andy Keogh, just doesnt make any sense...Confused
'If you're first you are first, if you are second you are nothing'-Bill Shankley
kessler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:11pm
I like Hoolahan a lot and think he should have been in the mix with our squads for the last year as he's been in consistently performing and is a player who can distribute the ball very well. That said, there's no chance i'd throw him in for the playoffs and the article made no sense as it just forgot about Walters existing when he's ahead of Best in the pecking order. Hoolahan should definitely get a look in after the playoffs but, as has been mentioned, he's not the type of player Trap really likes so his chances will be limited unfortunately.
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:49pm
Walters, Cox, Best, Keane and Keogh will no doubt all be there. Like everyone who has mentioned, it would be nice to see Hoolahan included, but why would Trap put him in now. I reckon Walters and Cox will do the job Thumbs Up

Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 7:10pm
Watched the Norwhich game today, and I must say Hoolahan has a real degree of creativity. He also works very hard, and makes tackles. I'm not a massive McCarthy fan, and I've yet to see much of Meyler, but Hoolahan for me looks like should be the main alternative for Whelan and Andrews.
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 8:07pm
f**k friendlies and never mind about our ranking.
The next few games should be Traps Ireland v The rest (managed by Giles and Dunphy)

All joking a side, Theres very few games in the premiership where we havent got a few lads on show.  Were lacking in the top top teams still but theres plenty of good players that will catch the publics eye like Wes Holohan.
I wouldnt be too worried about not having players in the top teams like Chelsea, City. There may have been Irish players playing with Pool, United winning teams years ago but that was before the influx of top top European players.  Stapleton, Aldridge, Houghton etc would not have been in those teams if they had the money for Van Basten, Gullit, etc etc etc.

Id be very surprised to see any Irish player at Man City in the next few years. But below these team Wes Holohan etc is catching the eye. I know qualification is massive but its still alot about going to a sporting occasion to be entertained.  Holohan , McCarthy, Coleman, etc might put more bums on seats.
Our next group with Germany and the on form Sweden will be very very difficult, much harder that this campaign. Trap will not trust these new players. If he does bring them in and we get a bad result (which is v possible in this group) then his negative Whelan/ Andrews tactic will be vindicated. Its going to be very very hard bring in any of these players while Trap is around. If we qualify against Estonia, Holohan may retire from International football 
Anyway
Go Green on Nov 15

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 11:28am

Norwich City trio on Republic of Ireland’s watch-list

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_trio_on_republic_of_ireland_s_watch_list_1_1135865
''
Republic of Ireland coach Marco Tardelli last night revealed that Norwich City trio Wes Hoolahan, Anthony Pilkington and Marc Tierney are firmly on his international radar. 

The former World Cup winner, who was at Carrow Road to see the Canaries take on Arsenal, admitted he and Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni were weighing up all their options with regards to their final 23-man Euro2012 squad.

It leaves the door open for an international return for Hoolahan who won his only senior cap under Trapattoni in 2008 in a friendly against Colombia.

“I know him (Hoolahan) from two or three years ago when we arrived in Ireland. He is a good player, good quality, a skilful player and I think now more experienced than three years ago,” said Tardelli, who has watched Hoolahan become one of the key players in City’s success story.

It’s Hoolahan’s ability to play a creative midfield role or as support to a lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation that works well in his favour.

Clearly, a lot will rest on the 29-year-old Dubliner’s performances for the Canaries if he is to break into the squad as the only international friendly lined up, possibly against England, is in February. The other warm-up matches come too close to the actual tournament for much experimentation. 

“He (Hoolahan) can play in midfield but he can also play as the second striker. He sometimes plays in this position for Norwich which I think is good. Having many options is very good because there are many good young players and it is good for the team,” said Tardelli, who as well as weighing up who might feature in the team for the February friendly also admitted the Ireland management keep a constant eye on what goes on at Carrow Road.

He added: “We follow all players and we decide, Giovanni decides, when will be the right moment. 

“Maybe it is possible they could play in the friendly but I cannot say for sure. They know that we follow them, if they play everything is possible.” 

While all three City players will potentially be hoping to break into the Ireland squad for next year’s Euro Championship Tardelli also admitted he sees the likes of Pilkington, 23, and Tierney, 26, as the future. 

Midfielder Pilkington has also worn the green shirt before, winning a solitary Under-21 cap against Lithuania in 2008, while left-back Tierney is also eligible.

“The Norwich team they are good players also Pilkington and Tierney is a good player. For us and the international team it is very good because they are young players for the future.”

The Republic of Ireland, who qualified for their first major finals since the 2002 World Cup, are in the fourth group of seeds alongside Denmark, the Czech Republic and France. 

That means they cannot face the French, who knocked them out in a controversial World Cup qualification play-off two years ago, in the group stages.

There will be 16 teams in Poland and Ukraine, divided into four pots for the draw in Kiev on Friday, December 2, at 5pm.''

Edited by grannyrule - 24 Nov 2011 at 11:37am
The only way is up
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 11:37am
Theres no reason why Hoolihan can't nail a place in the squad when given his chance. 

Its a myth that Trap doesnt give players a chance .. St. Ledge , Ward , Whelan, Long, Walters, Lawrence .. the list goes on. No disrespect to Whelan and Andrews but would love to see a player with an eye for a pass in the middle. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 101>
  Share Topic