You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Toon Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 267>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:30pm
He spent £65 million at Utd and he broke Sunderland's transfer record but decided to tell the dressing room they were f**ked after matchday 3. Not exactly the inspirational speech Churchill made.

"Wasn't backed" The bloke's a doomsayer and nothing else. Like one of those farts you keep hearing on the tele about global warming and doesn't go away.

I wouldn't even inflict Newcastle fans with that depressive f**k and they've tolerated the likes of Joe Kinnear and John Carver over the years.

Edited by coyne - 24 Jun 2019 at 6:38pm
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:40pm
£65 mill at United was a drop in the bucket compared to LVG and Jose who almost got the equivalent to spend on a single player, amongst others.

I still feel the writing was on the wall for Sunderland at the time.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:48pm
Reports saying first Rafa heard was statement released by the club.

He was still hopeful the club would come back to discuss further. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

£65 mill at United was a drop in the bucket compared to LVG and Jose who almost got the equivalent to spend on a single player, amongst others.

I still feel the writing was on the wall for Sunderland at the time.

It's all if's and maybe's regarding Sunderland. 
If the English FA hadn't hired a complete spoofer who lost to Iceland then Big Sam would of still been at Sunderland, there was no guarantee of anything until Gollum came and told the players they were f**ked 3 games into a season which turned them all into not giving an absolute f**k for the rest of the 35 games and beyond.

Back on topic, I do think Rafa is irreplaceable and it wasn't just because of the overachieving results he was getting, he had interest in the academy promoting players like Longstaff and wanted to work within all areas of the club but in return wanted more freedom in the transfer market, and all of that is now dead because Mike Ashley's currently too busy buying out Debenhams and GAME. It's absolutely farcical.  

Edited by coyne - 24 Jun 2019 at 8:11pm
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:56pm
Gutted to see rafa leave, losing one of the top ten managers in the world who'll be replaced by a "yes" man. The takeover looks to be just another advertisement for sports direct and Ashley isn't going anywhere.

There isn't too much anger around about it, most fans are so used to one blow after another that it's being met with "fu*k it, another relegation is coming".
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Gutted to see rafa leave, losing one of the top ten managers in the world who'll be replaced by a "yes" man. The takeover looks to be just another advertisement for sports direct and Ashley isn't going anywhere.

There isn't too much anger around about it, most fans are so used to one blow after another that it's being met with "fu*k it, another relegation is coming".
Never thought of it like that but sports direct is getting millions in free advertising from these rumours. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
Whats Joe Kinnear up to
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:30am
Some reports saying if the BIn Zayed Group takeover goes through (supposedly at the fit and proper test stage) that they would be open to bringing Rafa back.

If that doesn't happen supposedly there is a lot of interest Rafa was on around 6m a year so new manager would be in and around that.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:42am
It’s pretty obvious that there’s no takeover.
No reason at all to have a club policy in place of what type of signings if you’re selling up.

I hope I’m wrong but that story needs to be moved on
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

No reason at all to have a club policy in place of what type of signings if you’re selling up.

I hope I’m wrong but that story needs to be moved on

Oh I really doubt it's going to happen
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Some reports saying if the BIn Zayed Group takeover goes through (supposedly at the fit and proper test stage) that they would be open to bringing Rafa back.

I'm sure Mike Ashley has a different take on what that is, foxy boxing sheiks 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'm sure Mike Ashley has a different take on what that is, foxy boxing sheiks 

Well put it this way, Karl Oyston is part of the fit and proper owners panel, it's a bit like having Stevie Wonder as your driving instructor - There's gonna be major flaws in the process LOL

My Newcastle supporting flatmate mentioned to me which I had completely forgot that this is the same man who 3 years ago gave Steve McClaren £80 million to spend. What goes through his head is not normal.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:42pm
Roy Keane will be here baby. Vinnie Jones has given him his backing Clap
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:07pm

Ashley would sell his own granny, if someone met his valuation for her.

Therefore my guess is that he's been asking more than the various prospective bidders are currently prepared to pay.

If you think about it, this policy ties in with the above.

For why would Ashley spend big money on players, when he can't be sure that that investment would be recouped by an increased offer from any buyer?

I mean, if he were to spend, say, £100m on new players, would any bidder automatically up their offer by the same amount for players whom he (bidder) or his new manager might not rate?

Buyers are interested in this particular "house" because it's built on Millionaires Row (i.e. the Premier League), they don't give a sh*t about the furniture, fixtures and fittings (i.e. players, staff, infrastructure).

Edited by Territorial - 25 Jun 2019 at 3:08pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Therefore my guess is that he's been asking more than the various prospective bidders are currently prepared to pay.

Does his granny make him an upward of 20 million annually? If she does he wouldn’t sell her either.

Hence the problem Newcastle fans have. Why would a businessman sell a profitable business for other than pressure?

It’s all great and that having 50,000 fans on a weekly basis but those figures are why he stays, he don’t give a toss about protests once you’ve bought a ticket.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:37pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Does his granny make him an upward of 20 million annually? If she does he wouldn’t sell her either.

Hence the problem Newcastle fans have. Why would a businessman sell a profitable business for other than pressure?

It’s all great and that having 50,000 fans on a weekly basis but those figures are why he stays, he don’t give a toss about protests once you’ve bought a ticket.
Let's say someone offered him £100m for his granny. If he reckons she's got 5 years+ left in her, he won't sell.

But if she's been very poorly lately, and could pop her clogs at any time, he'd drive her to your house himself for the money.

And it's the same principle with NUFC, except it's complicated by three factors. First, NUFC are an attractive proposition only while they're in the EPL, and that's not guaranteed. (Whereas no-one's going to roll up and suddenly take his granny away from him.)

Second, Ashley is only concerned to maximise his profit by spending the least possible to keep NUFC in the EPL. (Or keep granny on a starvation diet, if you like). Which is fine while it works, but as a previous relegation proved, it's a very fine line. (Best give granny the odd bottle of Guinness, to be safe).

And third, even if NUFC are nicely profitable, granny's £20m a year is still only a small part of his overall income. And if the rest of that income, which derives from High Street retailing, is under threat, he might just decide to cash in on the Toon to bolster his shops.

I think it's pretty clear that NUFC have been in play for some time now. With the only reason it hasn't sold being that Ashley's minimum asking price has always been more than any bidder's maximum offer.

Which should not be surprising, when you consider that each is trying to put one over the other.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Jun 2019 at 3:38pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:59pm
Granny was in intensive care 2 years ago when they were in the Championship, and they still made a profit that season. 

Bare in mind it was only 6 figures but the point remains she won't be popping her clogs anytime soon unless they spend a 2nd consecutive season in the 2nd tier (which actually almost happened) so therefore no reason to sell.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:48pm

Granny was in intensive care 2 years ago when they were in the Championship, and they still made a profit that season. 

Bare in mind it was only 6 figures but the point remains she won't be popping her clogs anytime soon unless they spend a 2nd consecutive season in the 2nd tier (which actually almost happened) so therefore no reason to sell.
How many times can granny risk going into intensive care before it proves fatal?

Fact is, she needs an operation to get her back in decent shape.

But Ashley isn't going to pay top whack for the best private surgeon in some Harley Street clinic, unless he knows he's going to recoup that when he finally flogs her off.

Far better by his reckoning to trust to the (free) NHS, hope that she doesn't croak before he's clinched a sale and to Hell with Benitez, who's making a nuisance of himself by demanding he splash out to treat the old girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 267>
  Share Topic