Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who should be the next Ireland manager?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 12:24am
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

We'd be blessed to get Redknapp. As for the others being mentioned . . . . I give up. 

Blessed how?
What has he achieved?

Keane?    Got sunderland promoted at first attempt.
Got the FAI to attempt to reform their own shambles. 
Played at the highest level succesfully for Ireland and united.
Worked with two of the finest managers ever to grace the game in England
Rated as one of the best players to ever play the game and hes Irish.

Strachan? Outstripped ONeills titles at Celtic
Got Southampton into Europe.... Europe???
Got Celtic to the furthest stage of CL than any other manager in recent times. 
A very witty lad

Kerr?  Best organised Irish teams Ive witnessed
Came close to play off spots.
knows every facet of football in ireland 
Has since become more experienced by managing Faroes to very respecable results.

Harry?
someone hand this to John Delaney and point out he will save money too.
Sponsored Links

Bibi Baskin View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibi Baskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:32am
magnumpi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnumpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Bibi Baskin Bibi Baskin wrote:

Harry wants the job!

No, a "source", (read: tabloid hack making it up) said the he would be "intrigued" by the job.  In the same way that I would be "intrigued" to see the reaction of my colleagues faces at work if I stomped around naked from 10.00am til 11, calling it "happy nudey hour". doesn't mean it will happen.

The fact is, if we sack Trap, we don't have the money to replace him with anybody decent and no-one of any managerial quality would be interested.

Harry would be "intrigued" by the job because it would be easy money, and he'd have to do f*ck all work.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

What does it matter if he's Irish or Icelandic? So long as we get results, that's all that matters. 

Hughton could easily combine it with a club job. 

Just because Trap treated it as a part time job does not mean its a part time job Tuff. 

The Irish football team is to represent Ireland and I think we should try to get an Irish manager where possible if a suitable candidate is available. 

At the moment Mick Mc Carthy, Roy Keane and Owen Coyle are all out of work and have managed at lower level premiership and Championship level, where all our players come from. 

Mick has also managed at international level and had us finishing second in every campaign. 

I would give the job to McCarthy because Trap does not seem able to manage the change from the old school rigin approach that suited the squad when he started to the more fluid system that would suit the younger players coming through. 
AKA pedantic kunt
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:55am
Spot on Baldy Clap

If he was given the chop, realistically that would be our shortlist.
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by magnumpi magnumpi wrote:

Originally posted by Bibi Baskin Bibi Baskin wrote:

Harry wants the job!

No, a "source", (read: tabloid hack making it up) said the he would be "intrigued" by the job.  In the same way that I would be "intrigued" to see the reaction of my colleagues faces at work if I stomped around naked from 10.00am til 11, calling it "happy nudey hour". doesn't mean it will happen.

The fact is, if we sack Trap, we don't have the money to replace him with anybody decent and no-one of any managerial quality would be interested.

Harry would be "intrigued" by the job because it would be easy money, and he'd have to do f*ck all work.

I think the Happy Nudey hour is a great idea
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:08am
Why did Trap start Brady last night??????? He done nothing wrong got in a few crosses had one pop at goal that I can remember and was brought off to be replaced by Cox again playing out wide and he done absolutely nothing.

Edited by rainpaulo - 17 Oct 2012 at 10:08am
FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:28am
If Trap does go/is sacked then whoever is given the job has to be given some sort of responsibility for the development of the game, either directly or through delegation. I don't want a situation where a manager comes in relying on the Granny rule to source new players and I reckon some like Redknapp would be like that. Couldn't see him having the enthusiasm or interest in looking at underage teams and dictating a development policy and I think his appointment would be a big mistake.
With the exception of perhaps Mick McCarthy's appointment, there is never any sense of continuity with our Manager's, granted that is not always possible but we can't keep starting from scratch each time we change manager.
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:28am
Keane?    Got sunderland promoted at first attempt.

Great Quote by Roy Keane
'It disappoints me that I didn't win the World Cup. People say 'but Roy, you played for Ireland, you were never going to win the World Cup'. I never saw it like that'

Now that is the attitude we need in a manager -
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

Great Quote by Roy Keane
'It disappoints me that I didn't win the World Cup. People say 'but Roy, you played for Ireland, you were never going to win the World Cup'. I never saw it like that'

Keane ? Walked out on Sunderland when the going got tough.
Sacked from Ipswich.
sl*gged off the Irish fans during the summer.
Questionable people skills (think I am being charitable there).

Playing at the highest level and playing for good managers does not turn a player into a good manager - many, many examples of this.

For all of those reasons I would want Roy Keane nowhere near the managers job.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:33am

Great Quote by Roy Keane

There's no arguing with that CV but it's easy to cherry pick the man's good points and ignore his bad points and make him look like the perfect candidate.
You have to balance all that with his very average record as a manager, which started very well but has since been poor to average at best. You also need to take into account his relationship with players which I would describe as worrying based on fairly reliable stories that have emerged from players that have worked with him at a couple of clubs.
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Eamonn68 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamonn68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:54am

Great Quote by Roy Keane

We know about his "attitude" so no thanks
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:55am
Dear lord the risks we have taken in the past - I don't think having Roy as manager would be at the top of the list - Roy knows his faults and I well imagine the time out has allowed him to consider his faults, hell to see him become a pundit, I doubt it was for the money - more to be close to the game.

I read a great book about Bobby Charlton and Jack his brothers memory of being on the pitch with Bobby after England won the world cup - Bobby was crying and saying 'now what are we going to win?'

That need to compete, to drive on, to move forward - the next manager needs that and needs to believe we might not look like the greatest team on earth but we can compete - we can give it a lash - They need to believe that the can make the players great - that players can be made.

arry and foreign managers would always just be killing time in Ireland, I am not saying they could not do a good job but not the best job.

Edited by Andkend - 17 Oct 2012 at 10:55am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:58am

Dear lord the risks we have taken in the past - I don't think having Roy as manager would be at the top of the list - Roy knows his faults and I well imagine the time out has allowed him to consider his faults, hell to see him become a pundit, I doubt it was for the money - more to be close to the game.

I read a great book about Bobby Charlton and Jack his brothers memory of being on the pitch with Bobby after England won the world cup - Bobby was crying and saying 'now what are we going to win?'

That need to compete, to drive on, to move forward - the next manager needs that and needs to believe we might not look like the greatest team on earth but we can compete - we can give it a lash - They need to believe that the can make the players great - that players can be made.

arry and foreign managers would always just be killing time in Ireland, I am not saying they could not do a good job but not the best job.

I'm not so sure Roy does know his faults though. He strikes me as a very stubborn bloke which can be a good thing if used in the right way but it seems to me that if things aren't done the way he wants them to be done, then he walks away. While he has had many valid points about doing things the right way with Ireland in the past, his way isn't and won't always the right way.

Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 11:08am
No I do agree - I know his type of character - black and white no compromise -

but Fergie was able to manage him and he lasted at Man u - who knows what the boards were like in either of those clubs.

But I do recognise the risk, I suppose I would like to see Roy make good - someday - Bobby Charlton never managed, he was involved still in Man u but never a manager and yes it's a very specific role and maybe Roy does not have what you need, its one thing to be hard on yourself but you can't expect the same from other people.

It's a tough decision - I am a fan of Kerr but I think he's a bit soft - the ego's on the players they need someone that will keep them in their place but in the right way, respect not humiliation.

I am pro Mc Carty - he has the experience - I want someone Irish - a scot could work too - I met a few scots aberdeen fans at euro - I sold a spare Italy ireland ticket - he told me- Ireland qualifying is the nearest us scots will ever get - gas man.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 11:14am
Fergie is a different animal altogether though Andkend. You're talking about the most successful club manager of all time so while he hasn't man managed every player under his control perfectly, he clearly has what it takes to handle all sorts of different personalities. I also think the Keane that started at United was very different to the Keane that finished at United.
I would just worry that with Keane, even after a string of good results, I'd be half waiting for the breaking news that he has walked away. His record recently suggests that is very possible and throw the brilliance that is the FAI and their administrators into the equation and literally anything could happen and any time. 

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 11:16am

No I do agree - I know his type of character - black and white no compromise -

but Fergie was able to manage him and he lasted at Man u - who knows what the boards were like in either of those clubs.

But I do recognise the risk, I suppose I would like to see Roy make good - someday - Bobby Charlton never managed, he was involved still in Man u but never a manager and yes it's a very specific role and maybe Roy does not have what you need, its one thing to be hard on yourself but you can't expect the same from other people.

It's a tough decision - I am a fan of Kerr but I think he's a bit soft - the ego's on the players they need someone that will keep them in their place but in the right way, respect not humiliation.

I am pro Mc Carty - he has the experience - I want someone Irish - a scot could work too - I met a few scots aberdeen fans at euro - I sold a spare Italy ireland ticket - he told me- Ireland qualifying is the nearest us scots will ever get - gas man.

Bobby Charlton managed Preston and like a huge amount of more recent ex Man U players such as Robson, Bruce, Hughes and Keane was found out to be pretty poor at it. Keane record as manager doesn't even stand up to Robson or Bruce's and I wouldn't want either of them near the job.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 11:17am
You are not wrong Fireman Dan

actually this is interesting from charlton - says alot really about managers being professional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRGhmuhxR1A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
  Share Topic