You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 246>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 2:51pm
Have to assume he won't make the squad on Thursday so.

If that's the case, looking at Cullen as the only defensive midfielder.
I know we have played Hendrick and Hourihane deep but neither do the defensve work McCarthy or Cullen do (in fairness, I think Jeff does a lot of grafting).

I'm not suggesting he's a replacement, but opens a slot for Kilkenny (if he wasn't taking Knight's slot already).

Edited by Fozz - 21 Aug 2021 at 2:51pm
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 3:22pm
As I said in a previous post, McCarthy is concentrating on getting fit for his club so probably would have made himself unavailable.0
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

As I said in a previous post, McCarthy is concentrating on getting fit for his club so probably would have made himself unavailable.0

Yep, 100% and I think he's doing the right thing.
At his age and especially with his record, it's a wise move.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:58pm
No sign of him today.
Is he injured again?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

No sign of him today.
Is he injured again?

Yes hence whys he not in the squad.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:24pm
Hes been plagued with injury for most of his career. You could have a fantastic player in the team but if you can't play him then what's the point.

Same with Brady, really fantastic player but it's a massive risk for teams to sign him.

I can't see either stringing 10 games in a row together going forward to be honest.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hes been plagued with injury for most of his career. You could have a fantastic player in the team but if you can't play him then what's the point.

Same with Brady, really fantastic player but it's a massive risk for teams to sign him.

I can't see either stringing 10 games in a row together going forward to be honest.

McCarthy has actually had a decent run of fitness in recent times.

In his first season at Palace he played in 33 games and was on the bench for the other 5.

Then last year he missed a fair bit of the season on compassionate grounds following the death of father and subsequently lost match fitness and his place in the team on his return. He was only officially unavailable for 3 games through injury.

Brady is a whole other story though. Has looked terrible ever since his knee injury in 2017. Can barley break into a run anymore when he is "fit". The slightest of knocks to his knee and hes gone off. If not the knee hes forever pulling up with muscle injuries from lack of fitness. Cant ever see him getting himself right again.

pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:22pm
Starting to get more time at Celtic. Long may it continue 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:28pm
Assist alert
Nice through ball to Jota
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:57pm

He'll boss the SP if he stays fit

Him and Cullen makes a decent holding pair

We have a good back 7. 

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

We have a good back 7. 

Pity he has little interest in playing for Ireland. Would be very surprised to see him back in green.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Assist alert
Nice through ball to Jota

Super assist in fairness.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

We have a good back 7. 

Pity he has little interest in playing for Ireland. Would be very surprised to see him back in green.

He's played for our u17, u18, u19, u21 and has 43 senior caps. Played in a major tournament and would have had dozens of more gaps but for injury. 

Not sure how you get that he has little interes from that? 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:09pm

We have a good back 7. 

He's played for our u17, u18, u19, u21 and has 43 senior caps. Played in a major tournament and would have had dozens of more gaps but for injury. 

Agreed. He has serious miles on the clock from playing senior ball from 16. Id hold nothing against him if he decided to step aside. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:26pm

We have a good back 7. 

He did initially but I feel it has waned in recent years as he got older and injuries began to take their toll.

He made himself unavailable under McCarthy for the 2020 qualifiers and again under Kenny for the 2024 qualifiers this year. (I know he came back for the Nations League and later withdrew following the death of his father)

But I'd be surprised to see him back in the squad come next month or even November. I just think hes more interested in minimizing potential injuries and staying fit to prolong his club career these days.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:23am
James sacrificed the most out of any player to play for Éire when considering the horrendous abuse he’s subject to week in, week out in Scotland. 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:50am
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

James sacrificed the most out of any player to play for Éire when considering the horrendous abuse he’s subject to week in, week out in Scotland. 

Correct.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Couldn't agree more 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 246>
  Share Topic