You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 246>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undercover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:36am
He's absolute gash as well. Never seen him have a good game.
Nobody really knows why we're here. We just are.
Sponsored Links

Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:37am
Andrews role for Ipswich is at odds to his role for Ireland. McCarthy may be able to adapt his style and play a similar role for Ireland but its not going to happen before the Euros unless he makes himself available and gets the nod by Trappa in the upcoming friendlies.

Edited by Ireland4ever - 19 Dec 2011 at 11:38am
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by TheBeachBoysReunion TheBeachBoysReunion wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Whelan and particulary Andrews play a lot better for their clubs than they do for us. I do think they are following Traps orders when they stand off players and don't really come looking for the ball. That's all well in good when you are trying not to lose games but to get out of our group we need to win a game at least.
I have watched Andrews play for Blackburn and he does have the potential to get goals but most of the time he doesn't do anything, he just doesn't show any get up and go. It's the same problem with Fahey at Birmingham, except he is better at keeping the ball. Say what you want about players like Cattermole but at least he doesn't play like he's in a coma.
10 goals from midfield for Ipswich already this season

Our system won't allow for any of the centre midfield players to be be in advanced scoring positions often.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:04pm
z

Edited by fear-glas - 21 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by TheBeachBoysReunion TheBeachBoysReunion wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Whelan and particulary Andrews play a lot better for their clubs than they do for us. I do think they are following Traps orders when they stand off players and don't really come looking for the ball. That's all well in good when you are trying not to lose games but to get out of our group we need to win a game at least.
I have watched Andrews play for Blackburn and he does have the potential to get goals but most of the time he doesn't do anything, he just doesn't show any get up and go. It's the same problem with Fahey at Birmingham, except he is better at keeping the ball. Say what you want about players like Cattermole but at least he doesn't play like he's in a coma.
10 goals from midfield for Ipswich already this season

Our system won't allow for any of the centre midfield players to be be in advanced scoring positions often.

An option could be to play Andrews in a more advance midfield role against Spain instead of playing two strikers, McCarthy or Fahey could then do the "holding" role.
it is an option but in reality the system is cast iron and doesn't change whether it be andorra, or spain.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:18pm
The last time McCarthy played he was ahead of the two centre mids and behind a lone striker so can't see Trap playing him in a holding position. He's certainly capable of playing a holding role though, or even in the centre with one other.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
TheBeachBoysReunion View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeachBoysReunion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:18pm
@ Citizen

I hate to be one of those people but Andrews has 9 goals for Ipswich and as good as he is doing there and as much as Blackburn made him a scapegoat, he was pretty sh*te at Blackburn. Granted, so is Pedersen but he can do no wrong.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

The last time McCarthy played he was ahead of the two centre mids and behind a lone striker so can't see Trap playing him in a holding position. He's certainly capable of playing a holding role though, or even in the centre with one other.
playing holding role for wigan at the minute

rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:32pm
The position Trap played him in isn't his position,he isn't a second striker.
Tuff Paddy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
It's Rome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuff Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:19pm
James was superb against Chelsea. So clever how he is able to adapt his game. Only just turned 21 and he is a Premier League regular. Gonna be a massive player for his country. 
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

James was superb against Chelsea. So clever how he is able to adapt his game. Only just turned 21 and he is a Premier League regular. Gonna be a massive player for his country. 

Hopefully. I think his time will come but not for at a year or two. A spate of injuries will be the only way he gets a chance as a holding midfielder. I feel he is too young and lacking aggressiveness right now but yhats not to say he will develop those skills. He needs to bulk up more for the physically of a holding midfielder.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ilovetrap View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan
McShane = Legend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovetrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:54pm
to young?what you talking about,he is 21,look at the germans in the last world cup lads even younger than that,what about spain,what age were robbie and duff in 2002?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by ilovetrap ilovetrap wrote:

to young?what you talking about,he is 21,look at the germans in the last world cup lads even younger than that,what about spain,what age were robbie and duff in 2002?

True yes age really isnt an issue. I suppose what I meaj is he is very small and not physically strong enough to be a commanding presence in midfield. Hopfully he puts on more muscle and grts more stuck in than he does now. We need him to be constantly breaking up the oppositions play and then use it well. I think he is comfortable on the ball but not aggressive and committed enough. Hes also shy. I yhink his game will improve with age. He needs to develpp and come out of his shell.

farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 5:58pm
He is 5 foot 11 which is hardly small it is the same size as Whelan. I would take issue with the shy part aswell dont know if you saw the game on Saturday but he looked like the experienced player in the middle telling people where to play the ball.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by farfar farfar wrote:

He is 5 foot 11 which is hardly small it is the same size as Whelan. I would take issue with the shy part aswell dont know if you saw the game on Saturday but he looked like the experienced player in the middle telling people where to play the ball.

i stood beside him once and thought he was smaller than that.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:38am
Saw him play for the U21s a few times, and he seemed to be the biggest lad in midfield
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 2:22am
Trap sent him a congrats message after Chelsea game
But said he needs to communicate better with his team mates???
Is he saying he's too quiet on pitch,or off it??
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 2:24am
Haven't seen a whole load of the lad playing but was impressed with what I saw on Sat.
Very composed on the ball and retained posession. Didn't see one stray pass (granted he wasn't spraying the ball). Trap would have been impressed
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 246>
  Share Topic