Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 246>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 10:08am
Trap will only move him into central midfield when hes able to be aggressive, win the ball, get on with the play and put em under pressure.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

TheBeachBoysReunion View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeachBoysReunion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 10:26am
Whelan and Andrews win the ball? 
ilovetrap View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan
McShane = Legend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovetrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 10:36am
trap junior,does whelan do any of those things?
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 11:18am
Was very impressed with him yesterday, always looking to get on the ball, all the good work was going through him. He seems to have adapted his style of play.

Edited by Ireland4ever - 18 Dec 2011 at 1:32pm
Tuff Paddy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
It's Rome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuff Paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 12:43pm
Very intelligent footballer, gonna be a massive player for Ireland. Clap
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!
Town Man View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Town Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 12:52pm
Will he get his chance before and during Euro 2012 or will he have to wait for the 2014 Brasil qualifiers??

Hopefully he will be available for the next few friendlies to stake his claim anyway
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 1:09pm
Glad to see back him on form , yeah he did very well last night Thumbs Up
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 1:39pm
Trap jr.... Neither of our current midfield options have any of the qualities you mentioned.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Trap jr.... Neither of our current midfield options have any of the qualities you mentioned.

Well while theyre not great passers they do put their bodies on the line and throw themselves in front of shots routinely. They do constantly break up play. The only problem is they give it straight back. McCarthy doesnt deserve to be in the team yet. Yes he will pass it better but hes not physical enough and committed enough to challenges yet. Our game is stopping other teams playing not playing ourselves. This isnt what we all want but for the players we have at our disposal we have to play to our strengths.

wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Well while theyre not great passers they do put their bodies on the line and throw themselves in front of shots routinely. They do constantly break up play. The only problem is they give it straight back. McCarthy doesnt deserve to be in the team yet. Yes he will pass it better but hes not physical enough and committed enough to challenges yet. Our game is stopping other teams playing not playing ourselves. This isnt what we all want but for the players we have at our disposal we have to play to our strengths.

nail on the head
HewhomustbeHeeded View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HewhomustbeHeeded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 5:29pm
Andrews & Whelan are used as two holding midfielders yet they couldn't hold water. McCarthy is a way better option than Whelan any day.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why? If he's good enough he should be given a chance in the team. The only way any player ever deserves a place is to give them chance to see if they do well.

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:03am
he got a chance against uruguay and did not do great , hopefully he will get another chance in the next friendly , no way would i hand him a competitive starting place yet
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
dutchy15 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutchy15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:11am
Originally posted by HewhomustbeHeeded HewhomustbeHeeded wrote:

Andrews & Whelan are used as two holding midfielders yet they couldn't hold water. McCarthy is a way better option than Whelan any day.
I'd have to agree with ya on that except I dont like to critical of what andrews and whelan have done for us during the campaign. they have done the job asked of them no doubt but yes I believe with McCarthy in there is gives us something more. What i like is that he is always showing for the ball. the same cant be said for other 2 lads although this maybe the managers instructions.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:20am

James needs a consistant run of games to really cement his place in the side. The only way this is possible if either or both get injured.

I just hope Paul Green is not next in line incase Whelan or Andrews gets injured.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:23am
@gone to showgies

unfortunately james missed his chance to nail down a startingplace by pulling out of numerous friendlies. He doesnt give me the impression he would pUt his body on the line for ireland. It seems to me that wigan is all important to him. With the attitude he has shown to date Id be afraid he would be less committed to tackles than the present midfield pair for fear of injuries and falling out of favour with his club.

We are a defensive team. Trap wants defensive players. Warriors in there breaking up play..James doesnt meeet that criteria at the moment.

Edited by Trap junior - 19 Dec 2011 at 10:26am

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:00am
Whelan and particulary Andrews play a lot better for their clubs than they do for us. I do think they are following Traps orders when they stand off players and don't really come looking for the ball. That's all well in good when you are trying not to lose games but to get out of our group we need to win a game at least.
TheBeachBoysReunion View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeachBoysReunion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Whelan and particulary Andrews play a lot better for their clubs than they do for us. I do think they are following Traps orders when they stand off players and don't really come looking for the ball. That's all well in good when you are trying not to lose games but to get out of our group we need to win a game at least.
I have watched Andrews play for Blackburn and he does have the potential to get goals but most of the time he doesn't do anything, he just doesn't show any get up and go. It's the same problem with Fahey at Birmingham, except he is better at keeping the ball. Say what you want about players like Cattermole but at least he doesn't play like he's in a coma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 246>
  Share Topic