You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 246>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I've always liked James McCarthy but at this stage he just isn't a reliable option for us anymore. You can't plan to have him in the team due to the amount of injuries he picks up. I hope Cullen gets a shot now and impresses because it's a position which is up for grabs and we need someone in there who can be relied upon. 
Unfortunately true re: McCarthy. I have no animosity towards him, but he’s not going to able to sustain an international career with the amount of injuries he gets
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:04pm
Groin injury for James, recurrence of the one he had recently. Still our best midfielder but must be doubtful now for the forthcoming Ireland games. Not our most injury prone player-that has to be Tommie Hoban, but he is having a long run of games and a fine season now at Aberdeen. Good to see that after all he has been through.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Groin injury for James, recurrence of the one he had recently. Still our best midfielder but must be doubtful now for the forthcoming Ireland games. Not our most injury prone player-that has to be Tommie Hoban, but he is having a long run of games and a fine season now at Aberdeen. Good to see that after all he has been through.
How many games has James played for us since 2016 ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

sl*gging one of our players who unfortunately has the curse of being injury prone... best fans in the world whaaaa!!???

He ticks all the boxes for abuse from a section of our support - not Irish born, never played in the League of Ireland. Injury prone as well to top it off.

Best fans in the world my hole, I'd say he has long regretted ever declaring for us to be honest.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

sl*gging one of our players who unfortunately has the curse of being injury prone... best fans in the world whaaaa!!???

He ticks all the boxes for abuse from a section of our support - not Irish born, never played in the League of Ireland. Injury prone as well to top it off.

Best fans in the world my hole, I'd say he has long regretted ever declaring for us to be honest.

Duffy and McClean ring a bell?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I've always liked James McCarthy but at this stage he just isn't a reliable option for us anymore. You can't plan to have him in the team due to the amount of injuries he picks up. I hope Cullen gets a shot now and impresses because it's a position which is up for grabs and we need someone in there who can be relied upon. 

Cant argue with that. Comes back to foresight Cullen is the one emerging really he should probably be considered ahead of McCarthy. 

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:57am
Returned last week after 5 weeks out and he's already injured again. Won't play against Leicester due to a muscle complaint.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 8:19am
Ah come on, the two lads were decent players in their day but you make them sound like the second coming of Roy Keane and Denis Irwin, they were solid premier league players and no more than that even at their best and will be replaced by similar or better quality in time.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 9:23am
He played adult football at 15 for Hamilton. Always wonder if that is related in any way to his injury profile. Obviously nothing to do with the leg break but all the muscle injuries over the years could be related to pushing the body too hard when you are still growing.
It's not me it's you:-)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

He played adult football at 15 for Hamilton. Always wonder if that is related in any way to his injury profile. Obviously nothing to do with the leg break but all the muscle injuries over the years could be related to pushing the body too hard when you are still growing.

Have always thought this. 130+ games by the time he was 18/19. You see it often enough with lads making an early breakthrough and once they hit late 20s, 30s there's a very clear deterioration. I can see the likes of Rashford going that way. 

Always the freak exceptions to the rule before CR7 and Messi are thrown at the above. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 9:44am

Ah come on, the two lads were decent players in their day but you make them sound like the second coming of Roy Keane and Denis Irwin, they were solid premier league players and no more than that even at their best and will be replaced by similar or better quality in time.

Tbf to McCarthy if he wasn’t plagued by injury he may very well have gone on and got a transfer to a top 6 club as they call them. Tottenham and Arsenal were showing interest in him a year or two into his big transfer from Everton. Il always remember how Martinez absolutely adored him made it clear he considered him priceless. 

Brady was flying at Burnley before his injuries started. Agreed Roy Keane they weren’t. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Have always thought this. 130+ games by the time he was 18/19. You see it often enough with lads making an early breakthrough and once they hit late 20s, 30s there's a very clear deterioration. I can see the likes of Rashford going that way. 

Always the freak exceptions to the rule before CR7 and Messi are thrown at the above. 

Michael Owen & Alex Ferguson as well made that same point regarding Owen's breakthrough at Liverpool in that they overplayed him. In fairness to Liverpool, a lot of clubs would've played him a lot when he burst onto the scene . 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:07am
Was expecting McCarthy to announce his international retirement when I clicked into this thread. 

I wouldn't like to see him retire but for his own sake and longevity at club level, he probably should given our qualification hopes are gone for the world cup and the EURO 2024 qualifiers don't start for another two years. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:08am
McGeady and Robbie Keane were playing since they were about 17/18 and McGeady is still flying at 35

I think everybody's genetic make up is different.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Michael Owen & Alex Ferguson as well made that same point regarding Owen's breakthrough at Liverpool in that they overplayed him. In fairness to Liverpool, a lot of clubs would've played him a lot when he burst onto the scene . 

I think Owen's issue was he kept being rushed back from injury too quickly rather than making a breakthrough too young.

There's a definite case to be made for this in McCarthy's case though, especially in the position he plays where a lot of his game is/was based on running and physicality.

I've no reason to believe, and haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise, that they aren't professional in their day-to-day approach to training, recovery, etc but I wonder is there anything they were doing over the last few years that might have hindered their recovery from injury. Or are they just extremely unlucky.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

I described them as quality players. Keane and Irwin? What are ye raving about? 

Because you wrote this piece of complete nonsense:

"Cullen, Molumby, Browne, Knight etc may well succeed them but they will never be their class equals."

If you were saying that someone like Knight, who has played 50+ Championship games before his 20th birthday, could never be as good as Keane or Irwin that might make sense but to say he'll never be as good as middle of the road EPL players like McCarthy and Brady is fairly ridiculous.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 3:26pm
Id have to agree with Brick from what ive seen other lot
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 4:34pm
I'd like to think we can do better than writing off players that have just turned 20 and are progressing well with their clubs? Drawing a line through Knight and Brady's careers up to their 20th birthday as an example Brady had played only half a season of Championship football at that stage whereas Knight had over a season and a half as a regular at that level and captained the team in a few games. 

Knight's doing well, he has gone off the boil a bit lately but that's not a huge surprise given how much football he has played and probably also the thing with his dad, he'll be back in form next season I'm sure.

The demand for instant success from the current batch of young players from some is incredible - various posters writing off 19 and 20 year olds when they have a few poor games or get dropped for a while. 

I'd rather have a player that doesn't break through until 22 or 23 and plays on at a high level into his mid 30s than one who is tearing it up at 18 or 19 but is effectively finished as a top level player by 30.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 246>
  Share Topic