You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 246>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:24pm
The problem - IMHO - was McCarthy and Whelan being played together. The best games that JMc has for us were when GW wasn’t playing, as I recall anyway. 
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

For one, his performance against Germany was on an entirely different level to anything Whelan has ever produced in his entire career.

1 game. Whelan has never let us down.
korourke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korourke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

The problem - IMHO - was McCarthy and Whelan being played together. The best games that JMc has for us were when GW wasn’t playing, as I recall anyway. 

I agree with this. Whelan is like a kid in the neighborhood who is a bad influence on your kid. Without Whelan, McCarthy does a fine job in midfield. With him, it's like two statues in midfield. One seems to leech negativism off the other. I'm being dramatic there but you get the idea.
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:51pm

Nail on the head.

McCarthy was excellent away to Sweden, at home to Germany and had a very effective performance against Italy in Lille.

Too often, Trap and O’Neill played him in a more advanced No. 8 position and he spent his time in front of the ball. When Whelan was absent, he moved into that holding role where he was much more effective at breaking up play.

One of McCarthy’s strengths is that his athleticism allows him to cover the ground quickly, thereby allowing the other central midfielders to push on. Whelan’s lack of pace means that the other midfielders are often dragged back to cover the space around him.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Nail on the head.

McCarthy was excellent away to Sweden, at home to Germany and had a very effective performance against Italy in Lille.

Too often, Trap and O’Neill played him in a more advanced No. 8 position and he spent his time in front of the ball. When Whelan was absent, he moved into that holding role where he was much more effective at breaking up play.

One of McCarthy’s strengths is that his athleticism allows him to cover the ground quickly, thereby allowing the other central midfielders to push on. Whelan’s lack of pace means that the other midfielders are often dragged back to cover the space around him.
2good posts
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:19pm
A few more games and McCarthy will be in the squad for the Denmark home game. 

He’s slightly better than our other midfielders when fit which is rarely.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:58pm
He should be called into the squad now in place of “judgey” or Curtis. Neither of them will offer anything. I agree with James having better games when not beside glen. Seems to hold him back 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

He should be called into the squad now in place of “judgey” or Curtis. Neither of them will offer anything. I agree with James having better games when not beside glen. Seems to hold him back 

Curtis is out now AFAIK
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Curtis is out now AFAIK

Apologies I see Curtis is out. I still think James should be in the squad instead of Williams or judge. Far better calibre if player and I don’t think Whelan will be able to do the two games in quick succession.  
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:04am
Any chance he'll be called up to the squad this week?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:31am
I dunno.  He has to appear in someone's 99 on Brighton beach anytime now
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:37pm
sounds like he played pretty well at the weekend, hope he keeps his place and stays injury free now 
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
Did Mick not select him for the last squad and he opted out himself.  He played the full 90 on Saturday and if he's opting out himself it's a bit disappointing.  I've always backed the lad but been frustrated by his performances a lot of the time but my God he'd be great to have in these two games as our backs will be against the wall big time.  I appreciate he wanted to get fitter last month but if we don't qualify he may not get picked under Kenny who may go with youth.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:25am
From the Guardian's 'Premier League: Ten Talking Points from the weekend's action' piece:

10) Palace relish return of Mac

It had been 623 days since James McCarthy started a Premier League game but reunited with his near-namesake and old friend James McArthur, the Republic of Ireland midfielder looked as if he had never been away. An impressive performance which helped nullify West Ham’s attacking threat for large parts of the game illustrated that Crystal Palace could have pulled off a clever piece of business in signing the 28-year-old from Everton in the summer for just £3m. The only issue with McCarthy, who played in the same side at McArthur for eight seasons at Hamilton and Wigan before moving to Goodison Park for £13m, is whether he can stay fit. “We’ve been holding him back a little bit trying to build up that intensity,” said the manager Roy Hodgson. “It was a big day for him and he has to be 100% delighted with his performance.” Ed Aarons

fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:22am
Has to play v Denmark imo.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:38am
Why?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:57am
If he plays well over the next four or five games, he'd almost certainly be an improvement over Whelan. I assume that's why he should start.

We'll see what his form is like over the next couple of games.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:37pm
Image result for cadburys flake
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 246>
  Share Topic