You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 246>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hourihane done well in the DM poistuon for Villa the other day against Spurs, id stick him in there with Arter and Hendrick just ahead .

Was just about to say the same thing! Villa only conceded the goals when he went off I believe, other than that he was solid.

A quick look on the Villa forum says different. They're saying that Conor turned his back on the ball for the equaliser and doesn't have the physical attributes needed to play as a defensive midfielder in the Premier League. He's quite slow and not particularly aggressive or well built.

Less so than James McCarthy or Glenn Whelan?
Sponsored Links

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:29pm

Hourihane done well in the DM poistuon for Villa the other day against Spurs, id stick him in there with Arter and Hendrick just ahead .

Was just about to say the same thing! Villa only conceded the goals when he went off I believe, other than that he was solid.

A quick look on the Villa forum says different. They're saying that Conor turned his back on the ball for the equaliser and doesn't have the physical attributes needed to play as a defensive midfielder in the Premier League. He's quite slow and not particularly aggressive or well built.

Funny thing is that Grealish was responsible for 2 of those goals. Most overrated player in the PL. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:32pm

Hourihane had a fine first half played really well and admittedly was quiet second half but was too be expected playing Spurs away and winning 1 nil. 

Edited by JoxerDaly - 14 Aug 2019 at 4:32pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
Would prefer Arter at DM with Hourihane ahead if JMC is not fit enough.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Less so than James McCarthy or Glenn Whelan?

McCarthy is quite an aggressive tackler to be fair to him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:14pm

I'd well believe this. Goes missing in games too much for my liking.

Unbelievable left boot though, probably the reason why he will start.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That’s my view of him as well. His set-pieces alone means he needs to be accommodated.
The problem is that all our midfield options go missing for large chunks of games or, in McCarthy’s case at least , large chunks of decades.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:46pm
He was decent against Spurs, certainly not bad. Absolutely no way could he be faulted for any of Tottenham's goals anyway. I fully expect Nakambu (who is a genuine defensive mid) to take his place over the coming games though, so he'll have to find another place in the team. A big thing he has going for him is that he's far and away their best player in dead-ball situations, so that could play a big part in keeping him in the starting lineup in some form.
We're decent enough..
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That’s my view of him as well. His set-pieces alone means he needs to be accommodated.
The problem is that all our midfield options go missing for large chunks of games or, in McCarthy’s case at least , large chunks of decades.

This - one of our major threats and since Brady has been accommodated for so long and his set pieces have been sh*te Conor deserves to start as his form has been decent. He can create and covers good ground. 

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
Starts tonight for Palace in the League Cup vs Colchester.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
Great news, hopefully gets fully fit for the Swiss
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:11pm
Got 90 min, but apparently played poorly if media reports and fan fora are anything to go by, e.g.: https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/fixtures-results/crystal-palace-player-ratings-meyer-16825143

Shame, as looks like he has a real chance of playing against the Swiss. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Got 90 min, but apparently played poorly if media reports and fan fora are anything to go by, e.g.: https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/fixtures-results/crystal-palace-player-ratings-meyer-16825143

Does it really matter?

Sure Hendrick has barely had a sniff this season and we all know he'll be a cert to play. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:26pm
In fairness going by the result (and those ratings) it looks like it was collectively a pretty shambolic display. Given McCarthy is only coming back from a long lay-off, and indeed has been riddled with injuries throughout his career, just getting the 90 mins under his belt was the main thing last night.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:57pm
Fair enough. Yep, most of the players were rated poorly, so that may be a reflection of the result rather than precise analysis of J Mc's performance.  

Incidentally, not worried re Hendrick.  He's in a very different situation - had generally been playing regularly last few seasons - compared to J Mc who hasn't started a competitive game for nearly two years or something.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm

Even losing to the likes of Colchester United on penalties will not recommend many of the players, no matter how well they actually performed.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Even losing to the likes of Colchester United on penalties will not recommend many of the players, no matter how well they actually performed.

i would still take a not match fit mccarthy over an ancient glen whelan

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:54am
lads whats the story here ? we need this lad back 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 246>
  Share Topic