You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 208209210211212 246>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:57am
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/mick-mccarthy-encouraged-by-james-mccarthy-s-palace-move-1.3985304

Mick McCarthy is feeling positive about Ireland midfielder James McCarthy after he pulled on a Crystal Palace jersey for the first time on Monday in the under-23’s 1-1 draw with Birmingham City.

McCarthy made the switch from Everton to Roy Hodgson’s Palace on deadline day for €10 million and the midfielder could well feature in Ireland’s Euro 2020 qualifier with Switzerland on September 5th and the friendly against Bulgaria five days later.

McCarthy last made a first team appearance on April 21st when he came off the bench for Everton in their 4-0 win over Manchester United but it is hoped that his move to Palace will give him a new lease of life after recently being plagued with injuries, none more so than the broken leg which kept him out for over 10 months last year. The Glasgow-born player has not made an appearance for Ireland since the 2018 World Cup qualifying 0-0 draw with Wales in March of 2017.

McCarthy played a full 90 minutes for the Palace under-23s on Monday and was joined in the team by Dublin born goalkeeper Stephen Henderson as well as Irish under-19 midfielder Kian Flanagan who appeared as a late substitute.

“It was good just to see James out there for 90 minutes on a football pitch,” said the Ireland boss ahead of Friday’s squad announcement in Galway for next month’s matches.

“James has had a terrible time with injury so getting game time now is vital for him. What was important was that he played. I know one of the reasons James wanted to move from Everton was to get more football after playing so little last season following his injury.

“These are only baby steps for him but he is back now and looking forward to a new start with Palace. I sat beside Roy Hodgson for the game and I know from talking to Roy just how happy he is to have signed James for Palace.

“Roy is really looking forward to working with James at Palace and so am I with Ireland. I’ve kept in touch with James over the summer and look forward to seeing him back in the international squad.

“The fact that I got to see Stephen Henderson and young Kian Flanagan play as well was a bonus. I know Wayne, Stephen’s uncle, well so it was good to get a look at him while Kian has played for us at underage level and is only 20 later this month.”

Ireland manager McCarthy was at Bournemouth on Saturday as Sheffield United featured four of his players in their 1-1 draw after their promotion to the Premier League.

“I always thought Chris Wilder would stick with the players who got him promotion so I expected to see John Egan, Enda Stevens and David McGoldrick start,” added McCarthy.

“David was partnered by new signing Callum upfront and it was interesting to see them work together as a pair. I thought they were impressive together.”

Sponsored Links

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:06am
These reports seem very common now. Were these also provided to the media when MON was in charge?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:19am
I don’t remember them like these.

I do enjoy them because it makes clear what is being done and who is being scouted. I also feel that the reasons for inclusions and omissions are clearer, which is nice for the purposes of supporter discussion.

From all I’ve read, I fell MM is doing a similar trawl to the one he did in 1996. This could be an excellent jumping off point for Kenny.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:24am
So is it fair to assume most of the names mentioned frequently will be called up for the next squad?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

So is it fair to assume most of the names mentioned frequently will be called up for the next squad?

No, but it is fair to assume that the management team is giving them due consideration - which was not clear at times under the last regime.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

I’m not sure.

I think though his focus has been rather specific here. Attending the Sheffield United game made total sense. James Collins has started Championship life reasonably well, and MM does have a preference for Judge.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:30am
Fair enough. Danny Crowley has been mentioned a fair bit so I would hope he defo gets minutes against Bulgaria.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:41am
He needs to get into the squad first, and I wonder will Byrne also get a call up.

Then you have Alan Browne too!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He needs to get into the squad first, and I wonder will Byrne also get a call up.

Then you have Alan Browne too!

He has been talked about in the last 2/3 scouting reports so would be very strange if he wasn't called up.

Edited by kearney304 - 14 Aug 2019 at 11:50am
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:51am
Will he start McCarthy on the back of a couple of 23's games & maybe one or two prem games at most?
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Will he start McCarthy on the back of a couple of 23's games & maybe one or two prem games at most?
We don’t have a whole lot of other options. Whelan who hasn’t a club and Josh Cullen are the other options. Cullen hasn’t played for us yet so can’t see him being thrown in even though he’s doing well at Charlton.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:31pm
Yeah would be a suprise if he was thrown straight in and you wouldn't trust Hourihane or Hendrick as the DM so i think if JMC shows up in one piece he'll start.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:25pm
He kicks a ball and he is starting. Lazarus McCarthy!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:29pm
McCarthy always went for form players, and has carried that into his current tenure, with one or two exceptions. I feel McCarthy is unlikely to have the games under his belt to break into the team, especially as this has been a 30 month ordeal for McCarthy. He may well make the squad though.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

McCarthy always went for form players, and has carried that into his current tenure, with one or two exceptions. I feel McCarthy is unlikely to have the games under his belt to break into the team, especially as this has been a 30 month ordeal for McCarthy. He may well make the squad though.

Assuming he plays a DM who do you start them..Whelan? He hasn't played since last season. At least JMC is playing some form of football. Arter?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Assuming he plays a DM who do you start them..Whelan? He hasn't played since last season. At least JMC is playing some form of football. Arter?

I honestly don’t know. McCarthy was fit in March and in the summer and wasn’t involved, and that included games against Gibraltar.

Personally, I don’t agree with picking unattached players, however Whelan seems to be on the verge of moving to Hearts.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:02pm
Hourihane done well in the DM poistuon for Villa the other day against Spurs, id stick him in there with Arter and Hendrick just ahead .
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hourihane done well in the DM poistuon for Villa the other day against Spurs, id stick him in there with Arter and Hendrick just ahead .

Was just about to say the same thing! Villa only conceded the goals when he went off I believe, other than that he was solid.

A quick look on the Villa forum says different. They're saying that Conor turned his back on the ball for the equaliser and doesn't have the physical attributes needed to play as a defensive midfielder in the Premier League. He's quite slow and not particularly aggressive or well built.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 208209210211212 246>
  Share Topic