FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 246>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:34pm
Came on late today against Leipzig, the 27th Irish player in the Champions League
https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1577742832605052929

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 05 Oct 2022 at 8:35pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:34pm
Rare appearance tonight, when is the last time two Irish players appeared in the CL during the same season. Tets?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:17pm
Doesn't really matter for McCarthy at this stage, but it does once again highlight the utter stupidity of any younger player moving to Celtic. They sign a raft of new guys every window - so if you're going there to "develop", they'll probably have signed 5-10 more guys in your position by the time you're actually ready to challenge. It's like trying to get out of an ever deepening hole.
We're decent enough..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:56pm
His legs have gone, he doesn't suit the high intensity pressing game

Should get a move to Championship or League 1
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:54pm
I find it extremely difficult to believe he's went from looking able for PL football to not being able to be even a backup option for Celtic. Seems rather petty on the manager's part to effectively ostracise him.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:49pm
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1565230530450300932

celtic bringing in another defensive midfielder. could celtic use their connection with Queens Park to provide james with some firstteam football?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 6:54pm
Can have the best of both worlds. Go out on loan for the next three seasons while Celtic cover a chunk of his wages.

pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 6:30pm
I'm guessing he wants to play football too 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

James McCarthy reported today to be ready to leave Celtic, expressing disappointment at his treatment under the Ange regime. Several clubs already preparing bids.

What's there to be disappointed about? If I was in his position I would milk it there. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Imagine shipping out Jamie McGrath and then bringing in James McCarthy instead - whatever faults they found in McGrath at least he's generally fit and available to play.

McCarthy is a defensive midfielder and McGrath an attacking mid, so obviously they'll be looking at very different things.
We're decent enough..
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

James McCarthy reported today to be ready to leave Celtic, expressing disappointment at his treatment under the Ange regime. Several clubs already preparing bids.

They must be absolutely bananas.

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I've seen Wigan as a mooted destination, would be a good move for him going back there I think if there's any truth to it.

Defo worth kicking the tyres on
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 4:16pm
Imagine shipping out Jamie McGrath and then bringing in James McCarthy instead - whatever faults they found in McGrath at least he's generally fit and available to play.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 3:44pm
I've seen Wigan as a mooted destination, would be a good move for him going back there I think if there's any truth to it.
We're decent enough..
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 2:38pm

They must be absolutely bananas.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 12:44pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:36pm
Yes that has definitely happened down the years. Scott Allan was a recent enough example of it. He started two league games for them in four years at the club.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

James should just put his feet up and take the cash for the remaining three years on his contract. £15k a week is it he's reportedly on? His agent is a legend for getting him that deal with his injury record. 

Why should he bother moving away again and dropping down the divisions when his body is no longer up to professional football? Celtic offered him the deal, they can play him or not play him but they'll have to pay him his wages either way. Serves them right for stockpiling players once again.

From an Ireland point of view if he had been able for it he'd have been a handy backup for Cullen for another year or two until others come through. But his isn't physically able for club football, never mind traveling on international duty as well. So probably best to just retire him from international duty, even if he hasn't formally retired from us.

Spot on YTM.

James won't play for us again. Probably the only Irish player in recent years to have done well out of signing for Celtic. 

There's always been an element of stockpiling players among the Old Firm, and indeed in most leagues where you have 1/2 teams that are vastly superior to the rest.

Doesn't apply to McCarthy for obvious reasons, but I've often felt Celtic/Rangers will sign a player just so the other doesn't even if they aren't particularly impressed by them.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 246>
  Share Topic