Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 143>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Largely, I would imagine, because two of them have over achieved based on their ability and one of them has seriously under achieved. 

One of them has seriously under achieved?

Yet I have read countless posts on here that would lead me to think otherwise, merely because Hendrick has nothing going for him according to the masses, so for him to be a Premier League and international footballer was over achieving in itself no?
Possibly frustration at said underachievement? My problem with him is he hides. He unquestionably has talent, but he doesn't seem to want to apply it. He is a massive problem in how we play because he is nearly always facing the opposition goal and given the brief cameos where he has shown his ability it is clear that he is capable of receiving the ball with his back to goal, retaining position and getting everyone up the pitch.
I honestly think he is a bit of a coward in that way and fans hate that in a player. 
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:52pm
Personally speaking, I just feel that a lot of Irish fans always ignore the prehistoric tactics and style of play deployed by Trap, O'Neill and McCarthy when discussing the impact of our central midfielders (ahead of Whelan or whoever is in the holding role).

We don't play out from the back, we don't retain possession, we don't look to play through midfield, we have minimal phases of play i.e. just asking our keeper or centre backs to hoof the ball forward into the channels etc which ultimately leaves it very difficult for anyone playing in midfield to really stamp their authority on a game.

Now for sure there would definitely be a case of saying "well maybe our midfielders aren't good enough to play that way etc" which is fine too, perhaps they aren't.

I actually don't disagree with much of what you said either, but it will be interesting to see how our midfielders do especially in Kennys team going forward.

For what its worth I believe we will become more open as a side, ultimately losing more games but winning more and scoring more in the process.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:40pm
must be frustrating for the those that rate Hendrick that they aren’t going to ever see him play at a level where he will be expected to perform week in week out and can get away with delivering every couple of weeks.
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:47pm
A transfer to Newcastle, a larger club no doubt. But under Steve Bruce, just seems a side wards move. A move to Everton for example under a manager like Ancelotti would of done him the world of good. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

must be frustrating for the those that rate Hendrick that they aren’t going to ever see him play at a level where he will be expected to perform week in week out and can get away with delivering every couple of weeks.

Hes one of our best midfield players. If we can get him playing well we are a better team. 

Hes a midfielder that you want to make an important pass, an energetic run,  track a runner or take a shot on goal from distance. All these things he did  in an ireland shirt 2016. If he can get to that level again, he'll be great.

Other midfield players are just asked to mark the space in front of the back four and do a job... 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Strange comment Confused

He kept his place in the Burnley team week in week out over a sustained period, which is about his level.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:24pm
Had medical today at Newcastle.

4 year deal should be announced Monday 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:35pm
From Milan to the Toon.

Expect more mediocre performances from Jeffrey and hardly a move to get the pulses racing.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm
Newcastle has finer kebab shops
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Had medical today at Newcastle.

4 year deal should be announced Monday 
4 years at prob @ 40/50k a week - some people are very very lucky.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:17pm
there’s a decent player in there , IF he gets back to his levels of 4 years ago. Long time in football though.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:26pm
Should do well at Newcastle, he's better than what they have available. Would have preferred to see him stay at Burnley to be fair but Newcastle are a better team.

He's a premier league level player and we don't have many of those available especially when we were only able to field a bottom of the championship player and league 1 level player 6 months ago.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:31pm
Jeff is a fine player. I hope Brucie can get a little more out of him and get him back to his best. Himself and Shelvey midfield?
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 11:03pm
The level of interest across so many big clubs tells its own tale. Newcastle came in with a big money four year deal and fair play to Jeff for taking it, he might have had to drop to the bench occasionally to accommodate Pogba or Bruno Fernandez if he'd signed for Man Utd, for instance. Another Ireland star assured of a regular Premiership place.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Jeff is a fine player. I hope Brucie can get a little more out of him and get him back to his best. Himself and Shelvey midfield?

The water carrier Dublin Deschamps to the Caravan Zidane!

Seriously though, he’ll have his work cut out to get into the Newcastle midfield, which tells its own story. 

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 11:40pm
We'll see. Burnley f**ked up big time not renewing his contract when they had the chance and Dyche's anger at that stupidity is entirely understandable . Bruce got in early with a great offer and the other clubs couldn't match it. Newcastle now have a top player without having to pay a ridiculous transfer fee.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

From Milan to the Toon.

Expect more mediocre performances from Jeffrey and hardly a move to get the pulses racing.

Mid table Italian club vs mid table English club, hardly that big a difference.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 12:35am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

From Milan to the Toon.

Mid table Italian club vs mid table English club, hardly that big a difference.

Except for the culture and the history and all the trophies. Jeff made the right choice.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 143>
  Share Topic