You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 143>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Like McClean, Hendrick is loyal to MON and seem undroppable under the current regime unfortunately...now Brady is back he will also fall into this category 

All 3 are undroppable mainstays when available but probably wouldn't make starting 11 start under a new manager. Says it all.
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

I think his next move will be to the championship. He hasn’t played well for a long time for club or country.

A permanent move won't happen for awhile I'm guessing as I doubt anyone would pay a fee or match what are fairly hefty wages for him you'd imagine. Loan spell in the championship is probably his next move and from there I'll be amazed if he climbs back up the football ladder at any point.

He has had a couple of decent moments in the green shirt. A really good return imo considering how poor a player he actually is. I still don't even know what his favourite position is. I know Burnley tried him in advanced midfield positions a lot, but I just don't know what he's supposed to be good at on the pitch.
An English journo actually did an analysis of what Hendrick actually does contribute on the pitch, given the prevailing puzzlement over this issue for anyone that follows Premiership and international football with much interest.
The conclusion anyway is that the one thing he does, and does well, is to recycle the ball in possession efficiently to more talented, creative players. Given we really don't possess any talented creative players and equally little possession though this niche of his would seem pretty much redundant in an Ireland jersey  but this point seems lost on those who have an influence on or advocate his supposedly essential place in our starting line up.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:43pm
So after all that journos work he arrived at the same conclusion as us. That he’s sh*t.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:43pm
I don't think you can judge (and thus any condemn and write off) any player under the current MON/Keane farrago. We're a completely disorganised, shambolic rabble right now. In the old days under Jack and Mick, players who had quite modest if respectable careers (think of players like Breen, McCarthy, Cunningham, Morris, Kilbane, Kinsella and the like) would play well above themselves when in the green shirt. Let's remember that this month marks the 25th anniversary of Alan McLoughlin of second division Portsmouth scoring the goal that took us to the World Cup. Michael O'Neill's NI played us off the park with a side drawn from clubs like Oxford, Burton and Kilmarnock. Organisation and team spirit can take you a surprisingly long way in international football.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Like McClean, Hendrick is loyal to MON and seem undroppable under the current regime unfortunately...now Brady is back he will also fall into this category 

All 3 are undroppable mainstays when available but probably wouldn't make starting 11 start under a new manager. Says it all.

Yes they probably would.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 3:41am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'll be very interested to see what Burnley recoup when Hendrick eventually moves on. I'm gonna have a solid guess at 0.

That's not what you said though, is it? You said that they would probably let him go for nothing right now; despite the fact that he's obviously still a big part of their plans having played in 9 of their 12 EPL games this season. So the idea that they'd just want to get him of the books doesn't really tally with the evidence, does it?

Involved in 9 games out of 12 PL games. Starting 7 games, of which he was subbed off in 5 of those. So he has completed 2 full 90 minute PL games this season. Been involved in just over half the minutes of playing time (about 580 out of 1080 mins, which tbh I thought he had less time on the pitch).

Even though he's played slightly more minutes than I thought, the breakdown of those stats is very very different to the picture painted by yourself that has played 9 of 12 PL games this season. He's clearly not one of their main players anymore, and that's no surprise when you watch him play with Burnley.

We have a Burnley fan on here, so I'm sure he'll she'd more light on this, but I presume Hendrick will most likely be a bit part player and subbing a lot more if everyone is fit at Burnley? Also is it a feeling among most Burnley fans that they got sold a pup, and then they'll end up getting little to nothing back for him when he moves on.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:58am

I still don't even know what his favourite position is. I know Burnley tried him in advanced midfield positions a lot

This is the problem not Hendrick himself.

He plays as a #10 for Burnley but MON deploys him as an outright central midfielder.
Who was his midfield partner after half an hour? Hourihane, another advanced midfielder being deployed out of position which is greatly upsetting the balance of the midfield.

I find it amazing how Hendrick gets criticised literally every game but Hourihane escapes the radar, and it's the latter who's been smashing them in as if he's trying to recreate Bend it like Beckham. I'm not pinning the blame on Conor either, it's further evidence that it's how MON is deploying them is absolutely limiting them on what they can do.

You can't play both Jeff and Conor in the same team, both like to get forward whenever possible, when 1 plays you need a holding midfielder to keep the shape in midfield (Ideally would be someone like Meyler or McCarthy) but this is what MON fails to understand. And he's supposedly the UEFA licensed football manager but even a dope like me can recognise.

More evidence on this - Burnley have 2 #10's in their squad, Jeff and Ashley Westwood, but the latter is preferred, you'd never see them in the same lineup, they're rotated in and out to play alongside Defour or Cork is the person who stays back to keep the shape of the Burnley midfield while Jeff/Westwood push forward. 

Jeff has his major flaws, he likes to disappear from games when things aren't going in his teams favour for both Ireland and Burnley. But the constant criticism for being told to play in a role/system he's not familiar in got boring by the end of 2016, and we're almost in 2019.

Edited by coyne - 17 Nov 2018 at 5:09am
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 5:45am
This lad is blessed all the attention has been on O’Neill, has any player in a Ireland jersey had more terrible (non existent) performances in succession? I doubt it 
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:06am
@Coyne, I agree that the teams setup is hindering everybody. I've said this numerous times on player related threads here. Hendrick simply isn't much good though either way. I've seen him countless times with Burnley, and I know they also aren't the most beautiful football side, so if you're an attacking midfielder maybe it's tough there, but in most games I've seen you'd barely notice Hendrick on the pitch. He's always the one guy out there who seems removed from the play. 

I just don't get why lads think he's that good.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:53am
Until o Neill goes we can’t judge any footballer
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Until o Neill goes we can’t judge any footballer

Surely we can judge players on their club form, or lack of form?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:48am

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'll be very interested to see what Burnley recoup when Hendrick eventually moves on. I'm gonna have a solid guess at 0.

That's not what you said though, is it? You said that they would probably let him go for nothing right now; despite the fact that he's obviously still a big part of their plans having played in 9 of their 12 EPL games this season. So the idea that they'd just want to get him of the books doesn't really tally with the evidence, does it?

Involved in 9 games out of 12 PL games. Starting 7 games, of which he was subbed off in 5 of those. So he has completed 2 full 90 minute PL games this season. Been involved in just over half the minutes of playing time (about 580 out of 1080 mins, which tbh I thought he had less time on the pitch).

Even though he's played slightly more minutes than I thought, the breakdown of those stats is very very different to the picture painted by yourself that has played 9 of 12 PL games this season. He's clearly not one of their main players anymore, and that's no surprise when you watch him play with Burnley.

We have a Burnley fan on here, so I'm sure he'll she'd more light on this, but I presume Hendrick will most likely be a bit part player and subbing a lot more if everyone is fit at Burnley? Also is it a feeling among most Burnley fans that they got sold a pup, and then they'll end up getting little to nothing back for him when he moves on.
Ok  Jeff here we go . 
Look before i start i am not a fan of him but if i put that apart and look at him in the clear light of day then this is what i think .
For Ireland he has gone backwards i always look for Clarets on the pitch when Ireland are playing and kind of focus on them . I am really not sure what position is his best to be honest to me as a defending center Mid hes disappears as put him more forward then he is not good enough at international level .
MON loves him for some reason and will always have him in the team . On Thursday i saw him early on and then again around 85th minute , where was he in between ? This is the question which is aimed at him by Irish and Claret fans alike .
Now at Burnley in his first season he had a decent season as a whole but the problem what Dyche has is where to play him . It's like he is a special teams person where they roll him out in different positions depending on who we are playing , like Liverpool away sit in front of the back four Fulham at home he will play # 10( now he is not a number ten ) that's for sure .
Burnley fans are kind of split as they bitch at each other ( they should all come on YBIG ) as it's kind of 40% like him the others don't . I do think he looks better sitting in front of the defence I don't think he will play most games from here on this season i expect Dyche will buy in January when the window opens for someone in his position just a hunch . Burnley have better players than him in midfield so i expect to see him on the bench for most of the season just playing bit parts not unless someone gets injured then he will get more starts . 
For me it's just like the hot spud he will do his best to avoid it , that's what i see if he can keep away from the ball he will not make a mistake that's the reason why so many of us keep saying " he gos missing in games "
Will he be sold by Burnley , hard to say as Dyche sees him as a player that can do a job in different areas so i would say not . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:14am
I was at every game in France and bar the first one against Sweden I couldn’t understand all the hype and rave reviews he was getting at the time. He has been absolutely awful since that game against Sweden
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 11:13am
Surely we’d be aswell giving Daniel Crowley a game in Hendrick’s place? 

O’Neill will argue that Crowley won’t track back or offer enough in defence but Hendrick never tracks back anyway so we wouldn’t be losing much.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

O’Neill will argue that Crowley won’t track back or offer enough in defence but Hendrick never tracks back anyway so we wouldn’t be losing much.
Would be as well giving Carrie Crowley a game in his place.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Would be as well giving Carrie Crowley a game in his place.

It’s like playing with ten men except he gives the ball away to the opposing team in dangerous areas so it’s worse than being a man down. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 11:32am
I've been cynical about the cries to call Crowley up, more about what they are based on than his actual ability as I haven't seen him in a while, but by the process of elimination, if nothing else, he should be in the squad.
Jeff has proved his ineptitude. Hourihane doesn't look good enough, nor does Browne. O'Dowda has shown glimpses but is really a winger... The list goes on. 
Give him a chance. In fact, give anyone who looks remotely capable of creativity a chance. We should have been doing that from the start of this tournament really, but the qualifiers are the ideal time. We aren't going to qualify with this mob, what's there to lose?
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:51pm
Agree, he can't be much worse. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 143>
  Share Topic