You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 143>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I did call it in this thread that the fans would turn on him because he doesn't bust a gut to chase a ball down, which is a fair criticism, but it's not their biggest problem.

The problem is the same as last season; They're 20th in overall possession, 20th in other possessional statistics such as shots conceded, expected goals conceded, I think they've improved to 18th on goals scored, and that's about it. 

Last season they got away with absolute murder finishing mid table with those type of statistics, this season it's catching up on them, they've improved on absolute nothing from last season.

It's very normal in North East England football to scapegoat players who aren't busting a gut, which is why I knew Jeff would easily be the first. 

Jeff's biggest problem is that he suddenly disappears in games which aren't going well, he's gone missing too often for Ireland when the team aren't playing positively, and joining Newcastle Utd who have had less than 30% possession in 33% of their games so far, he was always going to be a sitting duck.

Steve Bruce is obviously the bigger problem, but there's no excuse for going hiding in games as often as Jeff does.

This is right. Newcastle fans will forgive a Saint-Maxim or Almiron their defending duties, but Hendrick doesn’t give enough when he has the ball to be accommodated.

Like Doherty, he also has this infuriatingly languid running style, which makes it look like he’s jogging all the time
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 1:41pm
He was an ever-present under a manager at Burnley who prioritises the work his midfielders do off the ball.

He also broke into the Derby team under a manager in Nigel Clough who doesn't play possession-based football.

He wouldn't have sustained a PL career for so long if he didn't try hard enough or put in the yards.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He was an ever-present under a manager at Burnley who prioritises the work his midfielders do off the ball.

He also broke into the Derby team under a manager in Nigel Clough who doesn't play possession-based football.

He wouldn't have sustained a PL career for so long if he didn't try hard enough or put in the yards.

I have said it many times but i just don't see it with Jeff .
Championship player at best and yet still in the Prem Ermm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

If Nigel Clough told you to jump off a cliff, would you? 

I think about it a lot. There is evidently some unseen quality that shows up in his stats. I read once that he’s good at winning the ball high up the pitch, which I’ve seen at times I suppose.

His stats are not all that illuminating. I suppose he doesn’t make many mistakes, while also not doing a lot?

Hendrick, like Whelan, are probably examples of our culture of prioritizing hard work above ability, and discipline above creativity. 

Perhaps both would have developed into better players if they didn’t have the attitude and willingness to do the yoemans work. That is perhaps the curse of producing such decent, hard working players. Trouble is, neither reached a level in the role that justifies leaving out much more capable players who perhaps don’t have the discipline. 

Wes Hoolahan, Darron Gibson (I know), and Stephen Ireland (I know) would have had many more caps if they were playing for teams that would risk playing a creative player in place of one of two water carriers. If given the chance, we’ll play three water carriers ahead of giving a creative player the opportunity to shine.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
would start in my first 11 every game he’s a very talented lad if frustrating at times but he really grafts even if it’s not always recognised.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:50pm
If you had a ball vision view of each match Ireland or Newcastle played Hendrick would barely make a cameo appearance. He supposedly does lots of work but if so he's certainly generating more heat than light as he contributes next to nothing to the team and he's been getting away with it for five years, something no other team with genuine expectations of qualifying for a major tournament would.
Even when he's supposedly playing well according to his fans on this forum he's actually only putting in an a largely anonymous 6/10 performance at best. 
Steve Bruce's deficiencies are Newcastle's biggest problem but their team isn't great other apart from Wilson and Saint-Maximin and Jeff is the weakest component of it.
Somebody else deserves all these chances Hendrick has been getting for so long in an Ireland shirt.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 12:58pm
Watching Newcastle. It's beyond a joke, what the fook does Hendrick do? 

Seriously, how's it even up for debate that he shouldn't be in our starting 11? 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

If a better option can be put forward banjaxed, please let us know.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Knight
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:13pm
Cullen-Knight-Hourihane. The energy of Cullen and Knight might allow us to carry Hourihane for his set pieces.

Otherwise Cullen-Knight-Browne is also a current option.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Cullen-Knight-Hourihane. The energy of Cullen and Knight might allow us to carry Hourihane for his set pieces.

Otherwise Cullen-Knight-Browne is also a current option.

Would completely agree with all that.

Cullen & Knight should definitely be starting whatever way we set up. The other mid should be dependent on formation.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:16pm
Off after 56 minutes.....
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:19pm
He was their highest scorer on the starting eleven today, which says it all about Newcastle 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:20pm

Knight

I'm a big fan of knight but he's only been ok for Derby of late. He's barely.touched the ball in a green shirt yet either.

I'd agree with you that I'd like to see knight starting for ireland ahead of Hendrick but theres not much of an argument I could put forward that would justify this yet.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm

Knight

I'm a big fan of knight but he's only been ok for Derby of late. He's barely.touched the ball in a green shirt yet either.

I'd agree with you that I'd like to see knight starting for ireland ahead of Hendrick but theres not much of an argument I could put forward that would justify this yet.

Same could be said for Hendrick.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:25pm
Part of his problem is that Ireland needs so much more from him.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:31pm

Knight

Molumby an option too even though it hasn’t gone great at Preston so far. I think he will come good. Would Molumbys energy be better than Hendricks experience? Ciaran Clark has been good at the back for Newcastle so far. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Knight

Molumby an option too even though it hasn’t gone great at Preston so far. I think he will come good. Would Molumbys energy be better than Hendricks experience? Ciaran Clark has been good at the back for Newcastle so far. 

Tell me how Hendrick's experience has been of benefit the last couple of years?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 143>
  Share Topic