You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 143>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

The thing that gets me about Jeff he will have an outstanding game then you wiill struggle to know where he was on the pitch over the next six games and that's him in a nutshell .

definitely that's been the case over the years but in fairness to him I think he's been really good for us from Portugal away onwards. He used to regularly go missing, never showing for the ball but that's changed. Can still get caught on the ball and out of position because at the end of the day he's still limited but I've been impressed with him the past few months in an Irish shirt
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

The thing that gets me about Jeff he will have an outstanding game then you wiill struggle to know where he was on the pitch over the next six games and that's him in a nutshell .

definitely that's been the case over the years but in fairness to him I think he's been really good for us from Portugal away onwards. He used to regularly go missing, never showing for the ball but that's changed. Can still get caught on the ball and out of position because at the end of the day he's still limited but I've been impressed with him the past few months in an Irish shirt

But guys who ever showed for the ball much under O'Neill and Mccarthy really? its like they were scared stiff to make the simplest pass. 
I love beer gardens
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Hes best in a more advanced midfield role. 

Him a d McGrath as the the advanced two in 3421 with Cullen and Knight as the defensive pair.

Robinson playing centrally.

Thing is he's looked lost when he's played too far forward for us. I remember him playing a bit at 10 for us in the 2018 campaign and it didn't work. I do think that position you reference is a little different but it is risky.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

But guys who ever showed for the ball much under O'Neill and Mccarthy really? its like they were scared stiff to make the simplest pass

Exactly this... under MON and Mick it was a don't take any risks policy, just get rid of the ball. I remember watching one of the Georgia games and trying to count 3 passes in a row and it just wasn't happening.

For the third Robinson goal I heard we had 39 passes before be put in into the net. That's 3 passes per player. Shows real control of the game.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

But guys who ever showed for the ball much under O'Neill and Mccarthy really? its like they were scared stiff to make the simplest pass. 

aye definitely agree with that, didn't make it any less frustrating to watch Hendrick in those years though! delighted that he's showing so well now under Kenny 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:36pm

Him a d McGrath as the the advanced two in 3421 with Cullen and Knight as the defensive pair.

With all due respect, I dont agree with that at all, he's better coming from deep where he can see the game develop in front of him. Part of the reason Irish fans have an issue with Jeff is that various Irish managers have tried to shoehorn him into roles that dont play to his strengths, no. 10 being one of them. He has also been used as a right sided midfielder by previous Irish managers. He is at his best in a midfield 2 with a licence to link play and roam forward, his current position alongside Cullen, who likes to hold more, is ideal. He was also a very decent holding midfielder in his time at Derby taking the ball from the defence and starting play from there, he can do that job also if Cullen is absent.
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:40pm
Defo a central midfielder. If he can get forward at times then all the better.
I love beer gardens
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

With all due respect, I dont agree with that at all, he's better coming from deep where he can see the game develop in front of him. Part of the reason Irish fans have an issue with Jeff is that various Irish managers have tried to shoehorn him into roles that dont play to his strengths, no. 10 being one of them. He has also been used as a right sided midfielder by previous Irish managers. He is at his best in a midfield 2 with a licence to link play and roam forward, his current position alongside Cullen, who likes to hold more, is ideal. He was also a very decent holding midfielder in his time at Derby taking the ball from the defence and starting play from there, he can do that job also if Cullen is absent.

In that 3421 scenario he won't be a 10 as such. Mcgrath would more if a 10. Hendrick would be the link between Cullen and mcgrath.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:09pm

In that 3421 scenario he won't be a 10 as such. Mcgrath would more if a 10. Hendrick would be the link between Cullen and mcgrath.

Each to their own, but I dont see it. That would look more like a 3-6-1 to me. Robinson in a free role alongside Mc Grath (assisting the midfield when required defensively) behind Idah looks like our best 2-1 to me. Jeff is needed further back alongside Josh  to show for the ball from the defenders and progress it forward.(if you have just one player i.e. Josh doing that, it's far too easy to press against imo)
Idah Dream!
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:45pm
Played well last night but Qatar gave us loads of time on the ball.
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Played well last night but Qatar gave us loads of time on the ball.

Yes, it was something of a training game. But good to see Jeff keep his focus and look to be constantly getting on the ball.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:27pm

That was him in a nutshell as the ball flew over his head back and forth under previous regimes. As I said earlier he must have had a crick in his neck. Also he was played out of position on many, many occasions, both on the right and as a 10. To be fair to him he got on with it and never moaned despite the, at times, toxic criticism that came his way. Great to see a manager utilising him properly now and playing to his strengths. He's no world beater, but he remains our best (or close to it anyway) central midfielder. He's always been an 8, he can do a job as a 6, but he was never, ever a 7 or a 10 and was only used there due to the dearth of options in the squad.

Idah Dream!
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:26pm
As a long standing member of the Jazzy Jeff fan club today is a great day. Now for the Renaissance of Jimmy McCarthy
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:39pm
Bruce deserves the axe. Left out jeffinio again.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:45am
Steve Bruce sacked this morning. While Hendrick is unlikely to have a future there post January, it would be nice if the new manager gave him some game time between now and then. It's not like Hayden, Shelvey, Longstaff and Willock are world beaters by any means.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:49pm
Would walk in to that United team!
Idah Dream!
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 10:11pm

Steve Bruce sacked this morning. While Hendrick is unlikely to have a future there post January, it would be nice if the new manager gave him some game time between now and then. It's not like Hayden, Shelvey, Longstaff and Willock are world beaters by any means.

Willock scored 7 in 7 last season. Imagine if Jeff did that 😂
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Loc<div> Loc
wrote:

Willock scored 7 in 7 last season. Imagine if Jeff did that 😂
He can't score from the bench! He has one in his last 20 minutes tbf! When did willock last score? Smile
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 143>
  Share Topic