You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 143>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:56am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He seems to be playing 90 mins week in, week out for Burnley and when you couple that with the fact that Burnley are doing ok in the PL, you have to ask is Hendrick doing ok? 

Any Burnley fans here that could provide more insight on his current form? 

Obviously does what Dyche instructs him to do without question or much fuss, plays right or centre-mid  mostly, or else behind striker. Dyche seems happy with him. Burnley fans love and hate him in equal measure, all depends game by game.  But he must be doing something right
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There is talk Jazzy Jeff is on his way to Celtic
Dead
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He seems to be playing 90 mins week in, week out for Burnley and when you couple that with the fact that Burnley are doing ok in the PL, you have to ask is Hendrick doing ok? 

Any Burnley fans here that could provide more insight on his current form? 

Obviously does what Dyche instructs him to do without question or much fuss, plays right or centre-mid  mostly, or else behind striker. Dyche seems happy with him. Burnley fans love and hate him in equal measure, all depends game by game.  But he must be doing something right
Yer he is running down his contract , hey let him go as Celtic would be just above his level really .

50/50 with the fans in Burnley people say we play better with him in the side and i am on the side of errr was he on the pitch for 90 minutes Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Joining Celtic a good career move? Playing in the Scottish Premier League against Ross County, Hamilton and St Mirren will certainly keep him on the boil. 
He should be playing for Hamilton or Ross County. He is f**king atrocious.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm
In regard to having possession per game Burnley rank as the second lowest in the PL because like Ireland they play a direct brand of football, with the aim of getting the ball up to their strikers as quick as possible, thus bypassing the midfield.

So you may ask what sort of impact are midfielders are meant to have in a side like Ireland or Burnley especially in an attacking sense? 

Granted Arfield and Defour have left the club but take a quick glance below of their midfielders goal scoring stats below over the last number of years.

Scott Arfield 170+ appearances = 21 Goals (16 in The Championship) 
Jeff Hendrick 100+ appearances = 9 Goals
Jack Cork 90+ appearances = 3 Goals
Ashley Westwood 80+ appearances = 3 Goals
Steven Defour 50+ appearances = 3 Goals 

I've been saying it time and time again, if you're a holding midfielder in the Irish or Burnley side you have it made, if you're a midfielder who likes to get forward (start attacks, score, assist etc) you're going to find very quickly that your role will be extremely limited and redundant. 

Hendrick for me is a bang average player absolutely no question but playing in these type of systems with stone age tactics and so forth tend to make bang average players look far worse than they are.

I hope Stephen Kenny can come up with new game plans/tactics to fit the players we have, implement a new style of play etc to help our centre midfielders like Hendrick, Hourihane etc and wingers/strikers.

Edited by Green Devil - 29 Jan 2020 at 12:54pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
‘Bang average’ is generous! Bang f**king useless more accurate. Didn’t look up to it at Derby, in a team that tried to play, and somehow got a move to Burnley where many fans wonder what he does. He must do something, but whatever it is he does or brings is beyond me. One good game a season seems to be his limit.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:08pm
He’s a decent footballer and has been pretty good for Burnley overall. ( Sean Dyche is no fool and I always get the feeling he really knows his player’s strengths and weaknesses)At Derby he was good too. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:16pm
It seems that the situation Hendrick is in is different from hourihane.

Hendrick is playing 90 mins of football and hourihane can't get a game of late.

Hendrick must be doing something right to continue as a first teamer.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

‘Bang average’ is generous! Bang f**king useless more accurate. Didn’t look up to it at Derby, in a team that tried to play, and somehow got a move to Burnley where many fans wonder what he does. He must do something, but whatever it is he does or brings is beyond me. One good game a season seems to be his limit.

I would argue that Isco's impact would be minimal in the Irish or Burnley set up playing in his best position never mind expecting miracles from Hendrick who plays on right side of midfield in Burnley's 4-4-2 more often than not.

As a team they play extremely narrow and give up space in wide areas as opposed to central areas out of possession because they have a huge physical and aerial presence up the spine of their team. We know when they transition after winning the ball back, it's more often than not a long punt up the field bypassing midfield. 

His role in the team is extremely redundant as a result, he isn't dynamic enough to get up and down the pitch at pace like a nippy winger, he is merely playing wide right to compensate for McNeill on the other side so Burnley can keep 3 in midfield when McNeill attacks, Hendrick just tucks in.

I'm not saying he could become a great player for us or even the first name on the team sheet, but I would like to see how he does under Kenny playing central in a new system. 

Edited by Green Devil - 29 Jan 2020 at 1:30pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:31pm
Jeff is the man Clap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:48pm
We as a nation pride ourselves on lauding those who never refuse a call up and always show up, these players are somewhat immune to criticism as a result.

Hendrick falls into that category in bold, but for some reason he gets dogs abuse while others escape it.

You only have to look through various threads on here where posters can't list any real quality said player might bring to the team, but they get pass marks because of their commitment.

It's a funny old place here at times Wink

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Joining Celtic a good career move? Playing in the Scottish Premier League against Ross County, Hamilton and St Mirren will certainly keep him on the boil. 
Too right. Send him to Fleetwood . So when him and your cousin Glenn stink the place out no one will notice with the smell of rotten fish!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm
Merely appearing on the pitch a lot (not that you'd ever much notice he's there) does not make Hendrick an effective footballer. He has no useful attributes and contributes next to nothing. If there was a PFA worst Premier league eleven he would be captaining it every season. Burnley probably like to knock it long in order to bypass him as his usual effort is only to return the ball back to the sender anyway (any other endeavour will result in him quickly losing possession) 
At least other limited players we have  like McClean and Whelan get involved in the game and stuck in and make a contribution as far as their abilities allow. Hendrick brings nothing to the table. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Merely appearing on the pitch a lot (not that you'd ever much notice he's there) does not make Hendrick an effective footballer. He has no useful attributes and contributes next to nothing. If there was a PFA worst Premier league eleven he would be captaining it every season. Burnley probably like to knock it long in order to bypass him as his usual effort is only to return the ball back to the sender anyway (any other endeavour will result in him quickly losing possession) 
At least other limited players we have  like McClean and Whelan get involved in the game and stuck in and make a contribution as far as their abilities allow. Hendrick brings nothing to the table. 

And yet he is still employed to be a professional footballer by a premier league team.
I'm sure you know better though!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

And yet he is still employed to be a professional footballer by a premier league team.
I'm sure you know better though!
True, but it would largely make this forum redundant.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:31pm
Lads, once again the analysis of Hendrick’s career and his ability is absolutely laughable.

He’s playing for a team who are 13th in the Premier League. He has missed 20 games since he has signed for them. How people can think he doesn’t add something to a team 13th in the most watched and scrutinised league in world football is mind blowing. How people think he can get away with doing nothing week in week is embarrassing and they come across as being thick. There is no other word for it. I’d put money on it he’s got more appearances in the league than any other Irish player since he signed for Burnley. 

Frustrating yes, a bluffer or a conman he is not. Take your heads out of your arses lads ffs. Trying to run him down at every opportunity makes you look absolutely clueless which is exactly what you are.

Edited by bundy - 29 Jan 2020 at 5:33pm
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Lads, once again the analysis of Hendrick’s career and his ability is absolutely laughable.

He’s playing for a team who are 13th in the Premier League. He has missed 20 games since he has signed for them. How people can think he doesn’t add something to a team 13th in the most watched and scrutinised league in world football is mind blowing. How people think he can get away with doing nothing week in week is embarrassing and they come across as being thick. There is no other word for it. I’d put money on it he’s got more appearances in the league than any other Irish player since he signed for Burnley. 

Frustrating yes, a bluffer or a conman he is not. Take your heads out of your arses lads ffs. Trying to run him down at every opportunity makes you look absolutely clueless which is exactly what you are.
Stop bundy this is the managerial experts forum don’t you know LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
As I said, if you don’t have an opinion there would be no point to this place. I get that my reaction to him is extreme, but I just cannot see what he brings and never have. He seems to constantly shy from the ball in possession and hide.
He does have ability, but that’s what makes him so frustrating! He seems afraid to apply it. He has done a few great things in Ireland shirt; his dummy in Cardiff, his run against Georgia , his performance against Sweden in Paris, but they are regularly spaced out.
His touch is very good, yet he never looks for the ball! I just don’t understand it! He obviously brings something to teams and, like the other fall guy on here, Glenn Whelan, managers seem to like him, but, unlike Whelan, I can’t see what the see! I just see a player petrified of expressing himself. 
I reckon if you mixed him and Whelan we would have a top class player actually!

Edited by pre Madonna - 29 Jan 2020 at 6:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 143>
  Share Topic