FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 143>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 1:17pm
There really is no excuse for a player to habitually "go missing" in games. If its not happening for you in a game, do something, make yourself relevant, even if it means kicking someone up the arse!
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Realrover Realrover wrote:

It wasn't that he couldn't tackle it's that he would sometimes go missing in games and in our threadbare teams and style at the time it didn't always suit. He used to do the same for Norwich too. He was still criminally underused overall.

Lots of players "went missing" for Norwich and Ireland - it tends to happen when the team can't get a hold of the ball! I've always thought the idea that having a player who can create chances in your team is a "luxury", whereas having guys who can pass the ball sideways is a "necessity", is one of the most nonsensical myths in football.
Yep, problem is there's too much of an obsession thesr days with statistics and possession of the ball, same as in gaelic football.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 12:39pm

It wasn't that he couldn't tackle it's that he would sometimes go missing in games and in our threadbare teams and style at the time it didn't always suit. He used to do the same for Norwich too. He was still criminally underused overall.

Lots of players "went missing" for Norwich and Ireland - it tends to happen when the team can't get a hold of the ball! I've always thought the idea that having a player who can create chances in your team is a "luxury", whereas having guys who can pass the ball sideways is a "necessity", is one of the most nonsensical myths in football.
We're decent enough..
Realrover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 7:53am
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 12:15pm
I also think it was a bit of a myth that he could not tackle
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 10:45am
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Hendrick was a very solid player in his day, people seem to forget that. I just think he has fallen off a bit and his heart isn't in it anymore. It happens.

For who?  I never thought much of him as a player tbh.

I remember being down in Turners cross for the pre 2016 friendly v Belarus which we lost.  Hendrick was either playing or came on.  He was absolutely useless and I remember thinking ''what is this lad doing in the squad''.  Then he had a good Euros and then never played well again after that bar maybe one game under Kenny (was it Slovakia?).

James McCarthy was the most overrated midfielder I've seen play for us.  Cowardly on the pitch.

all our midfielders have very poor since Keane and Holland/Kinsella left.

Wes was the best of them but he couldnt tackle and was lightweight.

None of the bar Wes could see a forward pass. On his good day Hendrick could slip a ball through but they were few and far between.

Now the term for these poor midfielders who cant pass the ball is ''defensive midfielder''.   Back in the day they were just called 'sh*t'.

Whatever happened to midfielders who had to shield the back 4 and pass the ball well and score goals.  You didnt get a game in the old days if you couldnt do all of those. 

I remember the first time I saw Wes he was playing with Shels at the time and he was best player on the pitch by a country mile. Followed him from then on. One of the most technical and forward thinking players we’ve ever produced overvlast couple decades. Year on year we had to watch him not being selected because of ignorant perception he couldn’t tackle and was lightweight. Instead managers selected the archetypal 6’ midfielder ahead of him who hadn’t a tenth of the ability of Wes. Wes was one of the bravest players on and off the ball this country ever produced and should’ve had 50 more caps except people like this thought he was “lightweight” coz he did meet their height expectations. Still laughable.

Yeah that pisses me off. He was in his arse lightweight! The best technical player we've produced in decades and MON wouldn't play him in away games. He should have 100 + caps and been the first name on the teamsheet. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake with Moran who is of a similar ilk. Classic Irish mentality of not playing so called flair players Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Realrover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 11:24pm
For Derby, Burnley and Ireland up until about 2018/19. Then a gradual drop off. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Hendrick was a very solid player in his day, people seem to forget that. I just think he has fallen off a bit and his heart isn't in it anymore. It happens.

I remember being down in Turners cross for the pre 2016 friendly v Belarus which we lost.  Hendrick was either playing or came on.  He was absolutely useless and I remember thinking ''what is this lad doing in the squad''.  Then he had a good Euros and then never played well again after that bar maybe one game under Kenny (was it Slovakia?).

James McCarthy was the most overrated midfielder I've seen play for us.  Cowardly on the pitch.

None of the bar Wes could see a forward pass. On his good day Hendrick could slip a ball through but they were few and far between.

Now the term for these poor midfielders who cant pass the ball is ''defensive midfielder''.   Back in the day they were just called 'sh*t'.

Whatever happened to midfielders who had to shield the back 4 and pass the ball well and score goals.  You didnt get a game in the old days if you couldnt do all of those. 

I remember the first time I saw Wes he was playing with Shels at the time and he was best player on the pitch by a country mile. Followed him from then on. One of the most technical and forward thinking players we’ve ever produced overvlast couple decades. Year on year we had to watch him not being selected because of ignorant perception he couldn’t tackle and was lightweight. Instead managers selected the archetypal 6’ midfielder ahead of him who hadn’t a tenth of the ability of Wes. Wes was one of the bravest players on and off the ball this country ever produced and should’ve had 50 more caps except people like this thought he was “lightweight” coz he did meet their height expectations. Still laughable.

Yep, always baffled me that people claimed he couldn't do the defensive stuff, because he always put himself about the place pressing from the front. It did seem to be purely based on him being short, because he certainly never shirked a tackle.
We're decent enough..
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 9:52pm

Edited by SeanC - 16 Nov 2023 at 9:53pm
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 5:57pm
got a nice assist for oshea against Germany too
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 8:26am
Poor aul Jazzy Jeff. Showed flashes of a very good player and was class at the Euros. Made some big goals for us, Georgia at home & Wales away spring to mind.

He never put a consistent run of performances together and his career has really nosedived. Another below average midfielder who won a lot more caps than he should

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 16 Nov 2023 at 8:26am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 6:50am
Has to be one of the worst Burnley players i have seen in the last 15 years . 

If you never read the team sheet you would have no idea he was on the park . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 3:57am

I remember thinking as that game ended that he had played himself out of the Euros squad. He mentioned in an interview a year or so later that someone close to him told him he was blessed to make it which might have given him a kick up the hole and could explain his good performances during the tournament.

One of those players whose appearance and languid style did little to endear him to fans. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 12:33am
It's all well and good for us sitting at the end of a phone saying how sh*t he is and that he's coasting and how he's falling out of love for the game blah blah blah but none of us know what it's like to live in an environment where it's all about what people can get out of you.

I would imagine being a pro footballer isn't all a bed of roses and some of these lads eventually view it as nothing more than a way to make a living. 

Jeff is a limited player at professional level but has made a good living for himself. Fair play to him.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 11:25pm
Made over 10 Million in his career. Not bad for a non footballer who is still only 31.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 11:11pm
He was very good at Derby to be fair to him. That was a long time ago now obviously. He was effective at Burnley in that he played the role that Dyche wanted him to play to a decent standard. Newcastle signing him was as predictably stupid a transfer as you'll ever see though, back when they were being run on a relative shoestring by Ashley. He has fallen away badly in the last few years and has been found out in the Championship on his loan moves - he's not the player he was when he played at that level for Derby.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Shocking non-footballer
100% Conan. Sure what would coaches/scouts at the likes of Derby, Burnley, Reading, QPR, Sheff Weds & Newacastle know about the talents required to be a pro footballer. 
One of the universe's great mysteries is that. I presume each club just looks at how he has managed to play regularly in the premier league and Ireland team for so long and assume he must therefore be pretty good. Finally being found out though. Not his personal fault he's sh*te of course but from observation he does tend to spend a lot of the time avoiding the ball or quickly getting read of it with a short sideways pass when playing for us in order to not get found out I guess. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 9:11pm
Since he became a Vegan he looks to be getting skinnier and Skinnier, wonder is it affecting him. He used to have flashes of brilliance ans then was anonymous for the next 5 games, always thought he needed a good shake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 143>
  Share Topic