FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 143>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Poor Jeff is still at the Euros in France with Robbie Brady
Exactly. Both were brilliant at that. They've both done the square root of f**k all since. Brady partly down to injury, jazzy Jeff down to acquiring a fear of receiving the football

Seeing as the entirety of his EPL career (including helping Burnley to qualify for European competition) came after the Euros, that's obviously nonsense. Hendrick's only crime was being a good player rather than the outstanding one many fans wanted him to be. It's always the good players that seem to bear the brunt of fans ire, the sh*te ones like Whelan, St Ledger, and McClean are eventually accepted because no one ever expected more of them in the first place.
McClean and Whelan have more PL appearances than Hendrick. 
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

The capacity of our fans to dislike their own players, particularly someone like Hendrick who burst a gut for us every time he put on a jersey and played in successful teams, is surely a manifestation of an interesting aspect of human group psychology.  Not sure if it's a peculiarly Irish trait or of wider application.

It's kind of like all the lads on here who used to moan about Robbie Keane, despite being quite literally a living legend, goals-record holder, caps record-holder, captain, scorer of some of the most famous goals of all time, always represented us honourably and well, helped bring us happy times.  

Bono gets similar treatment as well.  When we're lucky to have them.  

"Haters-Gotta-Hate Syndrome"?  "Begrudgery Me Bolleex Disorder?"   If it hasn't been identified yet, I'm trade-marking this diagnosis. 

How exactly was JJ ever busting a gut for Ireland? I guess it must take some amount of effort to manage to avoid the ball and remain as anonymous and ineffectual as Hendrick did almost his entire international career but if you are going to give a player a credit for effort give it to McClean who always got involved as much as possible and contributed the maximum he was capable of. 
Hendrick on the other hand just used to hide most the time and whatever ability he had once shown seemed to vanish in his mid twenties and he just became a curiosity for always apparently being on the pitch for club and country without noticeably contributing anything at all or having any useful attributes as a footballer. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Exactly. Both were brilliant at that. They've both done the square root of f**k all since. Brady partly down to injury, jazzy Jeff down to acquiring a fear of receiving the football

Seeing as the entirety of his EPL career (including helping Burnley to qualify for European competition) came after the Euros, that's obviously nonsense. Hendrick's only crime was being a good player rather than the outstanding one many fans wanted him to be. It's always the good players that seem to bear the brunt of fans ire, the sh*te ones like Whelan, St Ledger, and McClean are eventually accepted because no one ever expected more of them in the first place.
We're decent enough..
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 5:07pm
You're definitely on to something mi Amor. A bunch of lads sitting on their arse giving out about players like they owe them something. We'd all have like Jeff and Robbie to do more after 2016 but that's life.
They have to live it out in the goldfish bowl of pro sports.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 4:58pm
You were doing well until you mentioned Bono.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 4:39pm
The capacity of our fans to dislike their own players, particularly someone like Hendrick who burst a gut for us every time he put on a jersey and played in successful teams, is surely a manifestation of an interesting aspect of human group psychology.  Not sure if it's a peculiarly Irish trait or of wider application.

It's kind of like all the lads on here who used to moan about Robbie Keane, despite being quite literally a living legend, goals-record holder, caps record-holder, captain, scorer of some of the most famous goals of all time, always represented us honourably and well, helped bring us happy times.  

Bono gets similar treatment as well.  When we're lucky to have them.  

"Haters-Gotta-Hate Syndrome"?  "Begrudgery Me Bolleex Disorder?"   If it hasn't been identified yet, I'm trade-marking this diagnosis. 

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 4:18pm
been saying it for years but geoff is a total fraud of a player

hope he never wears a green jersey again
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 4:18pm

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 3:40pm
I'm sure he meant the cans with the ring pull. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 3:28pm
Always thought he played well for us - an important cog in a successful team, which consistently performed above the sum of its parts.  A far cry from the last 4 years of posturing and talk. 

He was never a number 10, but was often shoe-horned in there.  

Didn't complain, got on with it, and put in a shift.  Worked hard, won the ball back, rarely lost it.  Yes, he didn't make defence-splitting passes, but he was never that player. 

Was part of the outstanding pressing game we had going - which created goals (e.g.: McClean in Wales) and made us hard to play against (e.g.: "Playing Ireland is like trying to open a can of beans with your bare hands" Thomas Delaney, Denmark, who had 5 draws out of 6 games against us).
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 2:54pm
He's just too Jazzy........
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 2:44pm

He was really good at that tournament. At one point i thought he would be a futre Ireland capt. He just never went that extra step. 
I love beer gardens
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 2:35pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 2:25pm
A the common denominator is they're all washed up has been's who never fully achieved their potential.

Good agents is right
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 2:10pm
Good enough for Harry Arter who’s on a similar deal at Nottingham Forest. James McCarthy is on less than half that at Celtic but has a longer contract. Nice work if you can get it. I would not lose sleep about never playing if I was nearing the end of my career, these guys have good agents it seems.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 1:55pm
It is hard to argue against 40 or 50 grand a week i will admit.
I love beer gardens
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I think he is on a very good salary? At his age, taking the money is probably his priority over getting regular game time.

I recall he signed for £40,000 a week as he was offered 23 to stay at Burnley .

£50k allegedly, his agent pulled a blinder there. Would be mad to leave that type of money and not stick it out till the summer when hes a free agent, he'll be lucky if he gets a 5 figure sum after it.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Jeffrey is in limbo having not been named in Sheff Wed squad for the rest of the season. A team in the bottom 3 int he Championship.   He is still a Newcastle player.
Not Jeff’s problem if people don’t know a good player when they see one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 143>
  Share Topic