Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13751376137713781379 1452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

If VVD is out for 6 months that throws the league wide open.
I know they have Matip who is actually better (if you know your ball) but that’s a huge loss.

Liverpool are a team. So a title challenge should not depend on the fitness of one player. Saying otherwise, indicates that the world champions are a bunch of pub footballers, who can't step up when required. 

Fabinho is a ready made replacement, who can just slot in and do a decent job. He's known as Dyson in the Liverpool dressing room, so he'll have a lot of cleaning up to do. 

He may not be Liverpool’s best player but he is their most important IMO.
Let see how the Dyson does the next few weeks.
Liverpool will still finish top 4 but retaining the league will be tougher without VVD.

When does Allison return?

Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:56pm
If they wanted a Dyson why did they sell Hoever to Wolves?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:58pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

If VVD is out for 6 months that throws the league wide open.
I know they have Matip who is actually better (if you know your ball) but that’s a huge loss.

Liverpool are a team. So a title challenge should not depend on the fitness of one player. Saying otherwise, indicates that the world champions are a bunch of pub footballers, who can't step up when required. 

Fabinho is a ready made replacement, who can just slot in and do a decent job. He's known as Dyson in the Liverpool dressing room, so he'll have a lot of cleaning up to do. 

LOL

Hope your feelings weren't hurt too much precious on the team you won't admit to being a fan of. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

If they wanted a Dyson why did they sell Hoever to Wolves?

LOL
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:25pm
Big Virgil has certainly left a big vacuum in the centre of the Liverpool defence

I still fancy us to win to nil(fisk) in Europe this week

Who are we playing?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:29pm
Brandon Miele signing on loan
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:32am

Fabinho is a ready made replacement, who can just slot in and do a decent job. He's known as Dyson in the Liverpool dressing room...
... because he sucks.
Forever 10 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forever 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 3:33am

After“the best CB" Van Dijk was injured, can Matip become the leader of Liverpool's defense?

When Liverpool went looking for a centre back four years ago, they watched no fewer than 34 candidates play 15 games apiece. When it came to those with potential to develop, Virgil van Dijk emerged top in every category, from aerial prowess and recovery speed to composure and the respect of his colleagues.

It's the spatial awareness, the calmness, the height, the goals and the guidance for Joe Gomez and Joel Matip who are poorer without him, which they will now miss. As well as the diagonal passes which propel Liverpool ahead on the counter attack and were integral to last year's 3-1 away win at Bayern Munich, in which Van Dijk also scored.

Can Liverpool possibly retain the Premier League if, as seems possible, van Dijk will be out all season with the ACL injury which will require surgery. 'I would say no, says the BBC's Mark Lawrenson. 'His performances don't change but he helps everyone around him and makes them better. He's a talker; a leader. He is irreplaceable.'

Jurgen Klopp insisted that Liverpool have to regroup. 'Virgil will get over it, 100 per cent, and today is already the first day of the recovery,' he said.

But he was already a centre half down, having sanctioned Dejan Lovren's sale to Zenit Saint Petersburg this summer, so it will be for Joel Matip – injury-prone and also undergoing a muscular scan after Saturday's derby – as well as Joe Gomez - a work-in-progress with a tendency to adopt the wrong body shape at key moments and hit trouble – to step up.

So far, Matip, 29, has not looked like a leader though it's possible, of course, that this crisis will turn him into a more vocal defender, conscious that this is his moment to guide Gomez, 23. Unexpected outcomes can come from adversity. When Kenny Dalglish missed two months of the 1983/84 season after Kevin Moran smashed his jaw, Paul Walsh played and flourished.

It's possible that Fabinho, impressive in van Dijk's shoes when stepping in for him in the 0-0 home leg against Bayern, could become one of Klopp's centre halves of choice, though Lawrenson sees the Brazilian possibly sitting slightly deeper in front of the defensive back two 'to form a triangle with the centre backs.'

Another alternative is a three-man defence of Matip, Gomez and Fabinho, though that would mean Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold operating as pure wingers, which would be detrimental. 'In their current position they've got acres to run into and their starting position is a defensive position,' Lawrenson says. 'With three at the back they become two midfield players, playing on the half turn in more congested space.'

Klopp will surely go back into the transfer market in January, not least because Lovren's departure has left him short, though the problem is that centre half is currently a premium position, which has driven up the price.

Liverpool have actively looked in Germany, asking about Schalke's combative Turkish centre half Ozan Kabak – a more aggressive version of Matip – though after hearing the £36.2million price, they did not proceed down that route. Malick Thiaw, the young Finn who has captained Schalke's under 19s and briefly appeared for the senior side, has also been of interest.

Liverpool and Manchester City's scouts are cut from the same cloth so Seville centre half Jules Kounde will be well known to Klopp, though he, like Thiaw, has very little experience. Liverpool like to buy defenders who, like Gomez, can develop at full back and be adapted to central defence.

They were surprised that Bristol City's England under-21 international Lloyd Kelly signed for Bournemouth, rather than them, last year. They like Brighton's Ben White, though have reservations about his height and have considered Burnley's James Tarkowski in the past.

The truth is that Klopp's huge demands on centre backs makes buying one for immediate use fiendishly difficult. 'Because the team push up and press you need the pace to recover and get back,' says Lawrenson.

'You need to back yourself in a foot race over 30 yards.' That might rule out thoughts of bringing Conor Coady, a leader and extremely effective defender, home to Liverpool from Wolves.

There is consolation for Liverpool in that the rest of the Premier League big guns are not exactly pulling up trees and that van Dijk has generally proved so durable.

The moment above all others which left Klopp and his staff convinced they'd signed the right man came late against Tottenham at Anfield last season when Moussa Sissoko led a two-v-one breakaway. Van Dijk held his ground, forcing Sissoko to rush his chance and miss. Van Dijk took a very heavy blow to the ankle in the process and left the stadium in an ice pack. He was back in the team six days later.

This lay-off will be considerably longer though and even if the Dutchman is back ahead of time, will the damage have already been done?

Edited by Forever 10 - 20 Oct 2020 at 3:34am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm
I only saw the highlights, but did I spot VVD walking along the side of the pitch to the dressing room after he had to go off?

If so, I'm astonished, not so much that he could, but that LFC's medical staff would permit him to do so unaided. You know, on a "just in case" basis.

I once tore my PCL skiing and quite apart from the excuciating pain, there was no way I could even have thought of walking anywhere  - was forced to lie there until the stretcher party arrived.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I only saw the highlights, but did I spot VVD walking along the side of the pitch to the dressing room after he had to go off?

If so, I'm astonished, not so much that he could, but that LFC's medical staff would permit him to do so unaided. You know, on a "just in case" basis.

I once tore my PCL skiing and quite apart from the excuciating pain, there was no way I could even have thought of walking anywhere  - was forced to lie there until the stretcher party arrived.

If your ACL is gone then by walking on it you do no further damage 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Fabinho is a ready made replacement, who can just slot in and do a decent job. He's known as Dyson in the Liverpool dressing room...
... because he sucks.

He didn’t do his job tonight. Created a mess and gave away a peno.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:44pm
Superb finish by Bobby Firmino

Clutch
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Superb finish by Bobby Firmino

Clutch
😂😂😂
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:57pm
Ollie Burke let us off with one in injury time there

Should have scored

Lucky we weren't playing one the top teams like Leeds, Villa or Everton, they wouldn't have let us off with a chance like that
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:00pm

Should have scored

Lucky we weren't playing one the top teams like Leeds, Villa or Everton, they wouldn't have let us off with a chance like that

We LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Should have scored

We LOL
With Villa and West Ham dropping points this weekend, that was a big three points for us
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm

Should have scored

We LOL

Why do you keep pulling people on using “we” when mentioning a football club? Do you not find it a little hypocritical considering your username?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Should have scored

We LOL

Why do you keep pulling people on using “we” when mentioning a football club? Do you not find it a little hypocritical considering your username?
Tough station being a Manchester United fan these days

Small victories
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13751376137713781379 1452>
  Share Topic