Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12441245124612471248 1452>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Liverpool and Man City are way above every other team in the league.

On the domestic front Liverpool only have the league now.
Less games but does that add a little more pressure on them?

Luckily their away form in cup competitions (5 losses out of 5) hasn’t been replicated in the league.

A long read, but a great article on how winning domestic cups doesn't increase your chance of winning the league. The less games to play the better. https://tomkinstimes.com/2019/01/domestic-cups-mean-nothing-in-terms-of-winning-the-big-trophies/

I just think it may be a wasted opportunity for Liverpool not to go for at least one domestic cup.

Along with City they are by some distance the 2 best teams in the league. Between them they should win all 3 competitions.

City are in the final of the league cup and should be in the last 16 of the FA cup.

If City don’t win the league I suspect they will win at least one of the cups.

Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm
I don't think they purposely lost these cup games, only time will tell.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The attitude displayed on Monday night certainly gave the impression that winning the game wasn't that high of a priority. 
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The attitude displayed on Monday night certainly gave the impression that winning the game wasn't that high of a priority. 

Always better to keep your options open. Defo started with a weakened team, but why bring on Firmino and Salah if he didn't want to win it? I think it shows their squad isn't as good as alot would believe. 

I've no dog in the fight either. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Defo started with a weakened team, but why bring on Firmino and Salah if he didn't want to win it? 
Alex Scott made a very interesting comment after Spurs brought on Kane for the last 15 mins against Tranmere, when already 6-0 up!

Basically Spurs will have a training schedule for their first team squad specifically tailored towards the run of games coming up. Therefore she felt Poch brought on Kane for a run-out, in order to keep him on the same schedule as the rest of the squad.

For if eg the next day after the game meant a rest day for the squad, had he not travelled/played at Prenton Park, she suggested Kane might have had to come into Spurs and train on his own etc, which would have left him out of synch with the rest of the squad?

Dunno whether she's correct or not, but it does have a certain logic, and would also explain substitutions like Firminho and Salah etc. i.e. for fitness reasons rather than tactical. Otherwise, had Klopp been desperate to win, both players would have started.

Edited by Territorial - 09 Jan 2019 at 3:10pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Dunno whether she's correct or not, but it does have a certain logic, and would also explain substitutions like Firminho and Salah etc. i.e. for fitness reasons rather than tactical. Otherwise, had Klopp been desperate to win, both players would have started.
Possibly, clubs differ.

When I was over at Ajax on a study trip the morning after the game those that played the day before would be in the gym/pool doing recovery while those who didn't play took part in a full intense training session on the pitch with de Boer and Bergkamp.

So I doubt if Kane would have had to train on his own at Spurs the next day.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

So I doubt if Kane would have had to train on his own at Spurs the next day.
I shouldn't have said "on his own" - I meant separately from the rest of the 1st team squad.

Who may have been doing eg a tactical session for the forthcoming Chelsea match, for all anyone knows.

Edited by Territorial - 09 Jan 2019 at 3:51pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I just think it may be a wasted opportunity for Liverpool not to go for at least one domestic cup.

I'll be harsh but fair here.

Nobody gives a flying shlt about domestic cups. They are dead competitions and as far as I'm concerned they might as well be abolished for all the interest I have in them. 

I'm absolutely delighted Liverpool are out of both. 

It can only help our chances in the competitions that actually matter.

The FA Cup and the League Cup are now on the same level of importance as those Norn Iron cup finals from The Oval that UTV used to show highlights of at 10:40pm on Tuesday nights in November or January, presented by Adrian Logan with Jackie Fullerton on commentary, with expert pitchside analysis by that lad who talks with a whistle sound and whose brother was in the Shankill Butchers. And a winter monsoon blowing in over the yellow cranes and soaking the lot of them, all 348 of them.

0-0 after extra-time, Linfield win on penalties. 

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:57pm
What utter nonsense LOL
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Out of the cup so think its 5 games in the next 6 weeks and 10 days free before the Bayern game

Real Madrid had 7 days to prepare for Kiev. Liverpool had 13. Not much of a help winning it though.

Liverpool are top of the league after reeling off win after win twice a week last month, with minimal rest periods. When you're winning games, you don't  feel tired. When you don't, then the injuries feel worse and the questions start. Liverpool will be off on long haul treks to the South of Spain when City, and other top clubs, attack 4 competitions. So the idea that the 10 days are "free" is a misnomer. 

Going to Brighton in mid-January isn't really the ideal fixture, when the vultures are circling, and the pressure is mounting, after the last couple of games. The home game was difficult enough, so the away one at this time, wthout three centre backs, could be a real banana skin. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Liverpool will be off on long haul treks to the South of Spain when City, and other top clubs, attack 4 competitions. So the idea that the 10 days are "free" is a misnomer.
If you offered Pep, Poch, Emery or Sarri those 10 days right now, they'd bite your arm off.

First, it allows time to prepare tactics specifically and at length for upcoming games, rather than endless "firefighting", as games come in every three or four days.

Second, it allows players who may be carrying knocks to rest properly.

Third, it allows players to train in fresh, pleasant surroundings, away from the usual pressures of fans and media etc, on "a change is as good as a rest" basis.

Most importantly, it reduces the chance of soft tissue injuries (pulls and strains etc) at a time when players' fitness is really coming under threat. (A major study of the big European leagues a few years back showed that a critical factor in injuries of this type was not so much the intensity/number of games in the different leagues; the playing style or the refereeing; or even winter breaks etc. Rather it was being required to play/train outdoors in cold weather - Germany/UK vs Spain/Italy etc. Which is precisely why so many British teams now opt for warm weather training at this time of year when the chance arises) 

P.S. Flights to Malaga are hardly "long haul" i.e. 3 hours in the air, with a one hour time difference.

Going to Brighton in mid-January isn't really the ideal fixture, when the vultures are circling, and the pressure is mounting, after the last couple of games. The home game was difficult enough, so the away one at this time, wthout three centre backs, could be a real banana skin
If Klopp was allowed to pick his next opponent for this date, I daresay BHA would be closer to the top of the 19 options than the bottom.

Edited by Territorial - 10 Jan 2019 at 2:02pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Right now, I'd rate the title chances as:
Liverpool - 65%

Man. City - 30%

Spurs - 5%

The rest - Ha Ha!

Of course, tomorrow night's game could alter things: a win for Liverpool would move them to 75%(?) and City to 20%. 
A City win would leave Liverpool at 55% and City on 40%.
A draw might move Spurs up to 10%, but not much more, since they have still to visit Anfield and the Etihad, where they could play brilliantly and still only get draws (for a change).
Probably bad form to quote your own post, but this has just caught my eye:

"The Euro Club Index - a ranking of all European teams - estimates Liverpool's chance of winning the league at 56.6%, ahead of Manchester City's 33.5% and Tottenham Hotspur's 8.6%."
https:////www.euroclubindex.com/league-odds/

Wasn't too far out, even if I was a bit tight with Spurs.

Meanwhile, this season is certainly turning out to be a bit exceptional:

"In almost any other year, Liverpool would be nailed on to win the Premier League.

Only three top-flight teams in the last 113 years have recorded a better points total after 21 matches than Liverpool (re-calculating all seasons to three points for a win).

But the Reds find themselves doing this in a season in which the points totals for the teams in second and third are unprecedented."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46816407 

Edited by Territorial - 10 Jan 2019 at 4:03pm
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:48am

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Out of the cup so think its 5 games in the next 6 weeks and 10 days free before the Bayern game

Real Madrid had 7 days to prepare for Kiev. Liverpool had 13. Not much of a help winning it though.

Liverpool are top of the league after reeling off win after win twice a week last month, with minimal rest periods. When you're winning games, you don't  feel tired. When you don't, then the injuries feel worse and the questions start. Liverpool will be off on long haul treks to the South of Spain when City, and other top clubs, attack 4 competitions. So the idea that the 10 days are "free" is a misnomer. 

Going to Brighton in mid-January isn't really the ideal fixture, when the vultures are circling, and the pressure is mounting, after the last couple of games. The home game was difficult enough, so the away one at this time, wthout three centre backs, could be a real banana skin. 
Come on, you telling me having longer rest periods between games for the next month with a training camp in Spain thrown in wouldn't be preferred by every manager as opposed to playing 1/2 games a week in that time?

Of course it'll help Liverpool as it would any team. They've come through he last month winning games like you said but they've lost 3 CB's in the process. Terri is spot on

Edit: They still have to go and win the games. Noones saying they'll win all the games now because they've greater time to prepare and for injuries to heal etc but it does give them the best chance of doing this. Brighton will be a tough one though I agree, think they've only lost 2 at home this season

Edited by Croftman - 11 Jan 2019 at 9:50am
Some people just deserve a slap
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:09am
Think Brighton will win.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:37am

Think Brighton will win.

Be great if they did
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:41am
VVK suspended for the first let of the CL. Only reading this now.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Think Brighton will win.

Be great if they did
If they don't, don't worry...Leicester probably will - I'm going to that game at Anfield at the end of the month.  I'm bound to put the scud on Liverpool by being there, seeing as the last game I was at (v WBA last season) was a 0-0 draw. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:26pm
Liverpool have dropped 2 points all season to the rif raf in the PL outside of the Top 4 sides. 2 points. In 17 games.

Liverpool have dropped 0 points in the PL this season to the bottom half sides. Yep, that reads as Zero. 

Talk of a Brighton win is comical. Of course there are days when things can go wrong and strokes of luck go with the opposition, but Liverpool are so far ahead of the likes of Brighton individually and as a unit that it will take a special amount of circumstances happening at once for Liverpool to lose this game.

Obviously by the end of the season chances are Liverpool will drop a few more points to the rif raf outside the top 4, but it won't be many. That will be the winning of the league for them also, as City have dropped far too many points to those sides.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12441245124612471248 1452>
  Share Topic