You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13031304130513061307 1455>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Dunno whether it means anything (probably not), but apparently of the last five teams to finish 2nd in the PL by a point or GD, four have gone on to win the title the following season. 

Which may be related to another idea, that "The best teams always win the league" (or "The table never lies").

Matthew Benham, owner of Brentford and FC Midtjylland is as well qualified through business, statistics, gambling and football as anyone, and he disputes this idea.

He always says that football is the most random of major sports, where any game can come down to a single incident, such as an unlucky bounce, missed penalty or incorrect refereeing decision etc. And in a close run contest, between two closely matched sides, one or two games can actually make the difference, even at the end of 38 games.

An obvious example is Gerrard's slip against Chelsea, but more recently if you look at City's 2-1 victory over Liverpool in January, Stones managed to clear Mane's effort off the line with 1 cm to spare. Had that one gone over, the title would have been Liverpool's.

Which is hardly proof that City are "better" than Liverpool, but Benham reckons that you may need as much to monitor teams over as much as 100 games, to ascertain just which is the best team over any given period within that time.

Which in turn may explain how obviously dominant teams like Bayern, Juve or PSG can win their league every season, but so few English teams manage to retain the title even for one more season.

P.S. Noting that the team which gains the most points isn't necessarily the "best" team, is not the same as saying they don't deserve it.
Equally. City would have won the league easier if Mahrez scored the pen in Anfield and Liverpool hadnt been gifted points by Pickford, Speroni and couple of other keepers...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:21pm

From memory, the Stones clearance was midway through the first half. Who's to know what would have happened had it gone in.

No doubt there are dozens of fine margin incidents and decisions throughout a season that have big consequences on the final positions in the league table.

As it gets closer to the end of the season this is maximized, and especially this season when Liverpool and City were so consistently brilliant in the run in. The slightest mistake by a player in either team would have cost them the title

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:32pm
I don't recall Man City having many last minute winners. Where they did the season before last. Liverpool maxed out all their luck and had an incredible season. 

City just seemed to be complacent in losing a few games they shouldn't have.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Equally. City would have won the league easier if Mahrez scored the pen in Anfield

Of course. But in a contest between two obviously closely-matched teams, ultimately what separated them came down to the two games between them, where City took four points and Liverpool one, irrespective of their other 72 games. 

And if a proper statistician/analyst like Benham were to assess those two games, he might conclude that Liverpool were "unlucky". (Might not, of course - he might conclude that City should have won both, for instance).

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

... and Liverpool hadnt been gifted points by Pickford, Speroni and couple of other keepers...
I suspect City were also the recipient of "gifted points" by opponents in their games, too.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 3:25pm
Manchester City looked a very demoralised team yesterday

Liverpool are all anybody is talking about

The unstoppable red juggernaut rolls on

Onwards to Madrid where the rightful Kings of Europe will reclaim their throne

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:04pm
A disappointing end to a great season. Just came up against a better side, 14 wins in a row at the end of the season is phenomenal. Teams are always going to drop points throughout the season, nobody would've expected City to lose some of the games they did. We'd a few bad draws when going through a bad patch but still managed to pick up a few points that kept us in touch. 

Hopefully we can add 2/3 players to try overtake City & have Ox back too. Great to have the CL final to look forward to, just better win it now
Some people just deserve a slap
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:23pm
Must win game.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:28pm
I’d be very surprised if we see 2 teams get plus 90 pts next season.

Interesting to see what both teams do over the summer.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I don't recall Man City having many last minute winners. Where they did the season before last. Liverpool maxed out all their luck and had an incredible season. 

I read somewhere (can't remember where, maybe the BBC) that Liverpool had the biggest difference between points & expected points, which seems to be some sort of stat based off expected goals, which is based upon the quality of chances they had.

City also had more points than expected points but they were only something like 6 above their expected points as opposed to 14.

I'd still have City as 4/5 favourites for next season.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 13 May 2019 at 4:50pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I read somewhere (can't remember where, maybe the BBC) that Liverpool had the biggest difference between points & expected points, which seems to be some sort of stat based off expected goals, which is based upon the quality of chances they had.

City also had more points than expected points but they were only something like 6 above their expected points as opposed to 14.

I'd still have City as 4/5 favourites for next season.

Sometimes you make your own luck but Liverpool were gifted some easy points:

Spurs/Lloris - 2pts 
Everton/Pickford - 2pts
Palace/Speroni - 2pts

Forget Mahrez peno miss or last minute winners. These were all unusual circumstances that won’t happen again. 

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:17pm
Hard luck Liverpool, a brilliant side all season but City just too good and missing arguably their best player most of the season. 

At least you have the champions league final to look forward to. 

Edited by Sono - 13 May 2019 at 6:18pm
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:58pm
The absolute bollocks talk on here now, if me aunt had balls she’d be me uncle shoite, city won the league because they were the best team and proved it by pegging back a Liverpool team who had a very healthy points advantage at the midway stage but then fcked it up, and then city proceeded to push on on a fantastic run , the scousers Fckin pissed themselves great team me aunts gowl
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Wow what a night, not the match, the quare wan is a bit of a Liverpool fan and convinced me to go out to watch it in the local, as I thought full of coonts in Ali express Liverpool tops screaming at the Telly box including the quare wan, anyway she had too many drinks after the event celebrating but fck me (and she did several times) the carry on of her when we were getting the taxi home, she would not stay easy in the taxi, she completely ignored the drivers plea for her to wear the seatbelt as she could not wait till we got home to start on me, sitting on me lap pulling the townies off me the poor fcker driving didn’t take his eyes of the rear mirror I mean she was getting full on as we arrived home, anyhow it was bleeding carnage in the house most of the night her prancing all over me wearing nothing but her knock off liverpool top (don’t know how many times I wiped me flute in it, it was like a well used snot rag when I seen it in the wash basket this morning) she got up early and off to work big smile on her boat, I fckin dread what will go on if they win the fckin cup my balls are completely drained and my daisy root sore as fck now LOL

Over three weeks to the Final lad you should be refilled by then LOL
I have been placed on the bench since yesterday as I kept humming bluemoon to the quare wan, she has withdrawn her services for the near future I’m fckin delighted, she was planning a mad wan for last night if the victims had of won the league, she wanted to go out to howth and bale onto one of the trawlers out there and have me sing ferry across the Mersey as she fcked me on the bow, mad coont she will probably try this if they win the cup ffs Deffo be arrested out there
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:49pm
Well what an unbelievable campaign in the premier league

I didnt think for a minute that liverpool would run them that close, an incerdible effort and can only say of how proud i am of the team. Overall the better side won the league so no compaints at all from me.

Have to go on and bring the CL home now, otherwise this great season will be a distant memory in 6 months time
Its very frustrating being a Slob
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

I didnt think for a minute that liverpool would run them that close, an incerdible effort and can only say of how proud i am of the team. Overall the better side won the league so no compaints at all from me.

Have to go on and bring the CL home now, otherwise this great season will be a distant memory in 6 months time

For argument sakes, they lose the CL Final, how will Liverpool fans judge the season.
Fantastic effort on both fronts but realistically the hunt for the holy grail goes into it's 30th year, and so near, but so far in the CL front again.
I do think they'll hammer Spurs in the final but just curious from a fans perspective
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

For argument sakes, they lose the CL Final, how will Liverpool fans judge the season.
Fantastic effort on both fronts but realistically the hunt for the holy grail goes into it's 30th year, and so near, but so far in the CL front again.
I do think they'll hammer Spurs in the final but just curious from a fans perspective
Be disappointed to be honest. Huge improvement from last year and couldn't have done much more in the league but to lose back to back CL finals would be tough. Can take getting beat by Real with them on a 3 in a row but losing to Spurs would be a sickener. 

Few signings for next season and hopefully they can push City again as the others seem miles behind. Be a walk in the park for City if they dont
Some people just deserve a slap
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Actually why did the goal go to VAR?
Every goal goes to VAR. They were investigating Wijnaldum for a "punch" on the Barcelona keeper. He went down clutching his face when Wijnaldum took the ball off him. There was no punch of course and therefore no action was taken. 

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Planning will see it as a moral victory as City only won it by 1 point and not by 12 as many pundits were predicting at the start. I wonder is he going to reveal his dossier of incorrect refereeing decisions for every club over the season.

Hard to see anyone other than City and Liverpool fighting it out again next season.
I think Klopp will try to sign a creative midfielder this summer. That's all they've lacked really IMO.

This was the season when City were widely forecast to be crowned champions well before the spring solstice. Instead the title race went all the way to the bitter end, and unlike last year, City needed every point they got to get to the finish line first. It isn't a moral victory for Liverpool, it is a reminder that pundits and public alike should not be so dismissive of everyone else in the league.

Last weekend in La Liga, a penalty was wrongly awarded and a red card to go with it. Fortunately they have VAR, so the decisions were overturned on the spot and justice was done. I won't publish my log of every ref screw up in the EPL this season that VAR would have sorted out. Attention to detail doesn't go down well here. But what I will say is, on the final weekend where we have to tolerate incompetent backward officiating, at least three serious errors were added to the total, bringing the toll for the season to well in excess of the hundred mark. It may be long overdue, but VAR is now here, and teams will get only the decisions they should get from now on. 

Klopp now has the best win percentage of any Liverpool coach who has  been there more than 100 games, the lowest loss rate, and the most goals per game. Quite a contrast from 18 months ago, when he was told on this very thread that he was making no progress, was worse than Rodgers, taking the club backwards, while vital away results in Europe should be compared to legovers under the influence of the devils buttermilk. He's responded with 2 unbeaten home league seasons, 97 points this season, and  back to back European Cup finals, so he knows what he's doing. Even Hamann has finally come round. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:44pm

LOL The dossier, the fooking dossier, id forgotten about that LOL
Who could possibly have guessed that you wouldn’t end up publishing your forensically detailed document outlining every refereeing error this season? You’re great craic altogether Planning 
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13031304130513061307 1455>
  Share Topic