You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12451246124712481249 1453>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Talk of a Brighton win is comical.
Odds against certainly, long odds in fact, but maybe not quite "comical".

Brighton may be running into a bit of form right now, when you look at their recent results:
26 Dec - BHA 1 v 1 Arsenal
29 Dec - BHA 1 v 0 Everton
02 Jan - WHU 2 v 2 BHA
05 Jan - B'mouth 1 v 3 BHA (FAC)

A draw would not be a total shock (imo), even if L'pool remain clear favourites.
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:25pm

Liverpool have dropped 2 points all season to the rif raf in the PL outside of the Top 4 sides. 2 points. In 17 games.

Liverpool have dropped 0 points in the PL this season to the bottom half sides. Yep, that reads as Zero. 

Talk of a Brighton win is comical. Of course there are days when things can go wrong and strokes of luck go with the opposition, but Liverpool are so far ahead of the likes of Brighton individually and as a unit that it will take a special amount of circumstances happening at once for Liverpool to lose this game.

Obviously by the end of the season chances are Liverpool will drop a few more points to the rif raf outside the top 4, but it won't be many. That will be the winning of the league for them also, as City have dropped far too many points to those sides.

That is superb. I think the best Man United ever did was 58 out 60 points in their 20 games against those sides (either 2008-09, I think). If Liverpool can match that sort of record, I think they'll have it. Not sure anyone has ever got 60/60. 2012-13 Man United got 57/60. Both times they won the title.

Long and short of it, if Liverpool maintain that record or close to it, they should get enough points against the top ten to win it.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:53pm
Yep 08/09 was sensational for United in that regard. Liverpool blew any chance of winning it that season with a batch of draws against lower placed sides, and iirc a really poor Boro team beat them.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

If you offered Pep, Poch, Emery or Sarri those 10 days right now, they'd bite your arm off.

First, it allows time to prepare tactics specifically and at length for upcoming games, rather than endless "firefighting", as games come in every three or four days.

Second, it allows players who may be carrying knocks to rest properly.

Third, it allows players to train in fresh, pleasant surroundings, away from the usual pressures of fans and media etc, on "a change is as good as a rest" basis.

Most importantly, it reduces the chance of soft tissue injuries (pulls and strains etc) at a time when players' fitness is really coming under threat. (A major study of the big European leagues a few years back showed that a critical factor in injuries of this type was not so much the intensity/number of games in the different leagues; the playing style or the refereeing; or even winter breaks etc. Rather it was being required to play/train outdoors in cold weather - Germany/UK vs Spain/Italy etc. Which is precisely why so many British teams now opt for warm weather training at this time of year when the chance arises) 

P.S. Flights to Malaga are hardly "long haul" i.e. 3 hours in the air, with a one hour time difference.

If Klopp was allowed to pick his next opponent for this date, I daresay BHA would be closer to the top of the 19 options than the bottom.

It probably would. As it would have been for the other sides who went there this season, and didn't return with three points. 

If you don't think a 3 hour flight is long haul, and the other travel that goes with that, fair enough. But these are the same clubs who complain and moan about players having to travel the same length of time to play European games midweek for club and/or country. Games that matter. 

This is a winter sport. The requirements of playing in cold weather is an inescapable part of the job. Training in far flung places may be a change, but  the sun and serenity doesn't prepare you adequately enough for the conditions you have to come back and play in. 

If you offered most coaches a choice of a serious chance of winning silverware, or the chance to train in the Spanish sun or wherever, I think most would take a trophy or two. As it stands though, Liverpool have half the chances to win silverware than the clubs of the others you mention. 

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Of course it'll help Liverpool as it would any team. They've come through he last month winning games like you said but they've lost 3 CB's in the process.

Momentum is very important in football. The only way to build it is by getting results and winning games. That momentum has been broken and now the pressure to get results again is building. If the next two games are won, the momentum breaks again for the next 10 days, as the team is no longer in the cup. Then it's not so easy to just pick up after the break where everything left off. Same again before the next European game. 

As I said, Liverpool had effectively an extra week to prepare for the Cup final, which featured the standard trek to the south of Spain, but it was no help in the end. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:20pm

Talk of a Brighton win is comical.
Odds against certainly, long odds in fact, but maybe not quite "comical".

Brighton may be running into a bit of form right now, when you look at their recent results:
26 Dec - BHA 1 v 1 Arsenal
29 Dec - BHA 1 v 0 Everton
02 Jan - WHU 2 v 2 BHA
05 Jan - B'mouth 1 v 3 BHA (FAC)

A draw would not be a total shock (imo), even if L'pool remain clear favourites.

You're right. Comical is probably a bit strong. An almighty amount of things will have to go right for Brighton and wrong for Liverpool in that 90 mins for a Brighton win. The gulf is massive and Liverpool are unbelievably efficient now. Boringly so at times.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

[First, it allows time to prepare tactics specifically and at length for upcoming games, rather than endless "firefighting", as games come in every three or four days.]
It probably would. As it would have been for the other sides who went there this season, and didn't return with three points. 
No-one ever claimed that a warm weather break guarantees subsequent victories.

[Flights to Malaga are hardly "long haul" i.e. 3 hours in the air, with a one hour time difference.]
If you don't think a 3 hour flight is long haul, and the other travel that goes with that, fair enough. But these are the same clubs who complain and moan about players having to travel the same length of time to play European games midweek for club and/or country. Games that matter.
Er, they complain when they have to travel on a four or five day turnaround, especially when the flight is more than 3 hours, involves a bigger time difference, and lands you in some eastern European craphole in temperatures of -10 where you have to play a competitive game.
A 10 day jaunt to La Manga for some handy training sessions isn't remotely the same. Or "long haul".

[... a critical factor in (soft-tissue) injuries...      ... was being required to play/train outdoors in cold weather - Germany/UK vs Spain/Italy etc. Which is precisely why so many British teams now opt for warm weather training at this time of year when the chance arises.]
This is a winter sport. The requirements of playing in cold weather is an inescapable part of the job. Training in far flung places may be a change, but  the sun and serenity doesn't prepare you adequately enough for the conditions you have to come back and play in. 
Utter tosh! British teams may have to play matches in cold weather, but they don't always have to train in it. Which is why they don't, where avoidable.
(And I think Liverpool's players are quite acclimatised to winter playing conditions in England by now!) 

[... it allows players to train in fresh, pleasant surroundings, away from the usual pressures of fans and media etc, on "a change is as good as a rest" basis]
If you offered most coaches a choice of a serious chance of winning silverware, or the chance to train in the Spanish sun or wherever, I think most would take a trophy or two. As it stands though, Liverpool have half the chances to win silverware than the clubs of the others you mention.
Except that the choice is not between winning silverware or training in the sun Confused . 
The choice for Liverpool was between competing equally for all 4 trophies, or concentrating on the big ones (PL and CL). They chose the latter. 
Thereafter, when they crashed out of the FAC through not prioritising it, they chose to spend their free 10 days at warm-weather training in Spain, all the better to prepare them for their two priorities.

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

As I said, Liverpool had effectively an extra week to prepare for the Cup final, which featured the standard trek to the south of Spain, but it was no help in the end.
Which cup final was that? Champions League? (Unsure)

Edited by Territorial - 11 Jan 2019 at 4:58pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:11pm
This is a bit of an acid test. You can't have an off day and expect to get 3 points at Brighton. If we win then the defeat to city can be out behind us. If we don't win or lose, then suddenly it's looking like we are bottling it.

Massive game 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

This is a bit of an acid test. You can't have an off day and expect to get 3 points at Brighton. If we win then the defeat to city can be out behind us. If we don't win or lose, then suddenly it's looking like we are bottling it.

Massive game 
Yep.

The sort of game which helps sort out the men (champions) from the boys (runners-up).

But win, draw or lose at The Amex, subsequent games will only get more "massive", until the title is won or lost. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:36pm

No-one ever claimed that a warm weather break guarantees subsequent victories.

Er, they complain when they have to travel on a four or five day turnaround, especially when the flight is more than 3 hours, involves a bigger time difference, and lands you in some eastern European craphole in temperatures of -10 where you have to play a competitive game.
A 10 day jaunt to La Manga for some handy training sessions isn't remotely the same. Or "long haul".

Utter tosh! British teams may have to play matches in cold weather, but they don't always have to train in it. Which is why they don't, where avoidable.
(And I think Liverpool's players are quite acclimatised to winter playing conditions in England by now!) Except that the choice is not between winning silverware or training in the sun Confused . 

The choice for Liverpool was between competing equally for all 4 trophies, or concentrating on the big ones (PL and CL). They chose the latter. 
Thereafter, when they crashed out of the FAC through not prioritising it, they chose to spend their free 10 days at warm-weather training in Spain, all the better to prepare them for their two priorities.

Liverpool have been prioritising competitions for 15-20 years, the trophy return for doing so all those years, is what it is. If you try to win everything, you might win something. If you narrow your options, you usually win nothing. The trophy record at Liverpool in recent years, shows that prioritising competitions doesn't work. 

If you want to play in Europe, travelling is unavoidable. Most of Liverpool's European opponents are within 3-4 hours flying time and based in some great cities, but the temperature is rarely -10. And coming from England, they're not really in the best position to complain about cold weather. But if they're going to complain about foreign travel, they should be trying to stay at home as much as possible, not going on trips to Spain when they don't have to.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:51pm
Looking at the starting 11s, it's going to be a long day for Brighton today I reckon.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:18pm
I fink this will be a draw Jeff
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:55pm
Boringly efficient. Not sure if Brighton had one shot on target (the couple of saves Allison had may not have been goal bound). 1 fit centre back. Another clean sheet. zero points dropped to any team in the bottom half. Keep that up against the fodder and the title is theirs.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:01pm
Watched it and thougt they were lethargic today. Looking a bit of the pace to me, and a couple of injurys could well do them in down the line. 

Moment of class from Salah was the difference. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:03pm
Liverpool have 45 points from 45 against teams outside the top 6 this season.

That's some record.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:28pm
#winningugly

#winning
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Liverpool have 45 points from 45 against teams outside the top 6 this season.

That's some record.

48 points out of 48 against teams outside the top 5 if you like.

Or as the league is effectively a 4 team league imo now, Liverpool have 52 points out of 54 against teams outside the top 4. That is phenomenal.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

#winningugly

#winning

The similarities between Liverpool this season and Juve in their domestic league over the past 2/3 seasons in terms of style are striking imo. This team couldn't be more different from the team Klopp had in his first full season in 2016/17, a team that tried to kill you by running all over you but was flakey at heart. Klopp has built a side that has totally different gears now, where games like today where it was a boring watch but there was never the sense that Liverpool wouldn't get it done. A trait that Juve were something else at - looking like they're not playing well at all, but by the end of the match getting another seemingly comfortable win under their belts.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:52pm
One game at a time lads.
Plenty of bumps on the road.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12451246124712481249 1453>
  Share Topic