You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 133>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Honestly Foggy the only way to lose weight is to be eating less calories than you're burning. Any fad diet will only work if it is achieving that principal.

Google 'Sigma nutrition calorie calculator' and enter your weight/height etc and it will calculate how many calories you should aim for if trying to lose weight. Then download My Fitness Pal app and track your calories for a few days to gauge how much you should be eating.

Buy a little electronic weighing scales to weigh food - you'll be shocked at how many calories you over eat by free pouring the likes of porridge oats etc

Thanks Gaz. I understand that, I guess I'm looking for a sustainable calorie deficient diet rather than an extreme one that isn't sustainable long term

Yeah exactly - eat approx 200 calories under maintenance and aim to lose small amounts of weight consistently. Too many people eat 1,200 calories a day and are wrecked after a week and give up
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:10am
You could also buy a book like the below for some good food ideas with lower calories:

Edited by Gaz - 29 Jun 2021 at 11:10am
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:21am

Honestly Foggy the only way to lose weight is to be eating less calories than you're burning. Any fad diet will only work if it is achieving that principal.

Google 'Sigma nutrition calorie calculator' and enter your weight/height etc and it will calculate how many calories you should aim for if trying to lose weight. Then download My Fitness Pal app and track your calories for a few days to gauge how much you should be eating.

Buy a little electronic weighing scales to weigh food - you'll be shocked at how many calories you over eat by free pouring the likes of porridge oats etc

Thanks Gaz. I understand that, I guess I'm looking for a sustainable calorie deficient diet rather than an extreme one that isn't sustainable long term

Anything with sugar - cut it out. End of story.
If you can do this - the weight will drop off.

There is a lot of hidden sugar in processed foods. Pasta sauces being a prime example. 
Read the labels.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:25am
You can cut out sugar and still be eating more calories than you are burning and still put on weight.

If you cut out sugar and are eating below your maintenance you will lose weight.

It's simple - track your calories Big smile

foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:27am

You could also buy a book like the below for some good food ideas with lower calories:

Thanks, will give it a try thanks
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Anything with sugar - cut it out. End of story.
If you can do this - the weight will drop off.

There is a lot of hidden sugar in processed foods. Pasta sauces being a prime example. 
Read the labels.

Thanks for the reply. I probably need to look at my foods im eating. 

Im going between eating too little (skipping breakfast, small lunch and not getting enough calories based on the sigma nutrition calculator) and eating too much (Spar deli for lunch, snacking at home).

Just need a sustainable diet with a sustainable calorie deficient it seems.

Thanks for the replies
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:29pm
Consistency with what you're eating and the calories involved is what will work for you. Dieting may work initially but it's too hard to sustain.

Tracking calories is a pain at the start but once you have them entered on the app, it becomes less hassle. As Gaz said, MyFitness Pal is good and easy enough to use.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:37pm
Any one use any good websites to get good meals? Information overload when I google it!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 1:00pm
The main advice I would give you for meals is to batch cook. Make healthy chicken curries, spag bol, chillies etc that will do you for 3-4 portions so there's always meals in the fridge which helps you stick to the goal. I batch cook spuds/veg and turkey burgers on a Sunday (6 portions, takes about 40 mins) and that's my dinner sorted for the week. I do batches of curry/spag bol then for lunches for the week.

It means I'm cooking 2-3 times for the entire week which saves loads of time and hassle

You could then refine your internet search to a specific recipe - e.g. healthy chicken curry and cook that. Removes a lot of the noise that way

Edited by Gaz - 29 Jun 2021 at 1:01pm
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:42pm

Any one use any good websites to get good meals? Information overload when I google it!

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 9:49am

People in my job were using k fitness meals.
Have deceided to give them a go myself and have ordered from next week. Every Sunday becomes a chore of thinking of ideas for dinner for the week ahead, so at least this is decided for us and delivered.
Think the portions in my house are too big and I'd usually eat my partners leftovers too.

Interesting that someone mentioned the free pouring of porridge too. I'd do that, but because I think porridge is better for you than corn flakes it's ok.
Trained for a marathon in May and didn't notice much weight come off, and then when I finished training I ate loads for the next few weeks.
I put on my Germany 2013 jersey yesterday and it no longer fits, but maybe I shouldn't expect to fit into clothes that I bought 8 years ago.
The dark side.. And the light
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 9:50am

Edited by darmack - 30 Jun 2021 at 9:51am
The dark side.. And the light
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 2:00am
15 kg bicep curls, 20 reps.
Walk 10 miles a day.

Still have a dad bod.

Being in your thirties. Thumbs Down
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

15 kg bicep curls, 20 reps.
Walk 10 miles a day.

Still have a dad bod.

Being in your thirties. Thumbs Down

Yeah I am especially finding it much harder to lose body fat the couple of years despite going gym 4 or 5 times a week. So I'm happy enough with my chest and arms and that but the fat on face, belly and moobs is ruining it and hard to shake off. The weight on the scales is also not dropping off as fast as it use to, would always get an initial drop off in kgs after returning to the gym but didn't really happen this time after lockdown (5kg but normally I would lose even more at the start and I'm still far heavier than I was 3 years ago)

Granted, my diet could be way more on point as I would still nibble on crisps, have a takeaway a week and a beers 1 or 2 nights, but normally I always did that and the level of work I am putting in withing the gym would have had my body on better shape than it I am now. Its going in the right direction but at a snails pace. Defo since going about 33 and now 36 you can see the hard work is not making as big gains. I say that to my two younger brothers now that if they ever want that 6 pack then they should start putting in the work now while they have a little bit of time as I think after 33 it becomes very hard

Edited by t_rAndy - 03 Sep 2021 at 8:02am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:33am
Imagine how hard it is going to be when we hit the 40s. 

Have lost a few cms of body fat and have dropped body fat % closer to where it should by regular gym program but big time lack of motivation this week.

Just trying to keep the post 7/7.30pm eating side lined.

Edited by McG - 03 Sep 2021 at 8:38am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:34am
Same boat here, I'm 38 now, and definitely a lot softer than I was doing the same level of exercise in early 30's. 

Met a personal trainer recently who suggested that instead of fighting the belly forever, I should focus on building up the chest and shoulders, gives the body a better shape than thin top and pudgy belly
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Same boat here, I'm 38 now, and definitely a lot softer than I was doing the same level of exercise in early 30's. 

Met a personal trainer recently who suggested that instead of fighting the belly forever, I should focus on building up the chest and shoulders, gives the body a better shape than thin top and pudgy belly

So he basically said there is no hope for ya,  F him!! 

My friend is a personal trainer but he tries to focus on what you eat/drink. Says you can’t outwork a bad diet past 30. 

Keeps saying to lay off the beer and wine and every meal you eat should be pre-planned and written down so that way you don’t go for the quick option.

He also recommended the fasting approach and doing it twice a week. 
So you have a few options:

A: Breakfast at 8 and dinner at 8  (12 hour gap)
B: Dinner at 8 but nothing til 12 the next day (16 hour gap)
C: Dinner at 8 and nothing til 8 the next day (24 hours gap)

When I’m working from home I can do A no problem. 
I just need to be better on the overall meals and booze. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

So he basically said there is no hope for ya,  F him!! 

My friend is a personal trainer but he tries to focus on what you eat/drink. Says you can’t outwork a bad diet past 30. 

Keeps saying to lay off the beer and wine and every meal you eat should be pre-planned and written down so that way you don’t go for the quick option.

He also recommended the fasting approach and doing it twice a week. 
So you have a few options:

A: Breakfast at 8 and dinner at 8  (12 hour gap)
B: Dinner at 8 but nothing til 12 the next day (16 hour gap)
C: Dinner at 8 and nothing til 8 the next day (24 hours gap)

When I’m working from home I can do A no problem. 
I just need to be better on the overall meals and booze. 

that fasting 'advice' is bollix. 
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 133>
  Share Topic