You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 133>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

cardio first thing in the morning on empty stomach and dont eat for an hour after.. Im 46 next week ,,3 year ago had a health scare and lost 1.5 stone and thats what works for me

Yeah I try to eat within an 8 or 10 hour window. Worked wonders for me. If i go to the gym in the morning I won't have breakfast either and will wait a while before eating (until I actually feel hungry)

Depends what you're looking to do obviously but if you're looking to build muscle and doing weights training at the gym then a source of protein after working out is important for muscle repair. 

Loads of info online about eating after working out and its importance, I wouldn't just not eat to avoid calories for the sake of it. 

Obviously different things work for different people though
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

cardio first thing in the morning on empty stomach and dont eat for an hour after.. Im 46 next week ,,3 year ago had a health scare and lost 1.5 stone and thats what works for me

Yeah I try to eat within an 8 or 10 hour window. Worked wonders for me. If i go to the gym in the morning I won't have breakfast either and will wait a while before eating (until I actually feel hungry)

Depends what you're looking to do obviously but if you're looking to build muscle and doing weights training at the gym then a source of protein after working out is important for muscle repair. 

Loads of info online about eating after working out and its importance, I wouldn't just not eat to avoid calories for the sake of it. 

I would say that what he wants to do is in the thread title, but I could be miles off.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 4:49pm

I'm definitely not depriving myself. Just eating when I'm hungry. I like food too much!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 6:45pm
go on line, plenty of calculators to work out daily calorie allowance for age height etc. then keep a food diary and stay 100 calories under allowance each day, plus cardio as said before, myfitness pal is great for tracking foods, barcode scanner works everything out for you. might sound like BS but you tube vids of guys like david goggins great for motivation also
Getting old and intolerant
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I would say that what he wants to do is in the thread title, but I could be miles off.

Can you not lose weight and build muscle?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:11pm

Sorry, I didn't see the second part in the title. Big smile

More a mild expression of annoyance that you cannot seem to discuss trying to lose weight these days without someone wanting to turn it into something more. I believe you can lose weight and build muscle, but it is quite difficult from what I understand. Some of us just want to lose a few pounds, not become fitness freaks who start talking about crunches, carbs and start carrying 'shakes' around as an accessory. I can only speak for myself, but I find all of that quite off putting regarding changing my own habits, which surely defeats the purpose of the thread somewhat.

Maybe I am just being a cantankerous bollocks, but it was one of my resolutions to be crankier this year.

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:26am

More a mild expression of annoyance that you cannot seem to discuss trying to lose weight these days without someone wanting to turn it into something more. I believe you can lose weight and build muscle, but it is quite difficult from what I understand. Some of us just want to lose a few pounds, not become fitness freaks who start talking about crunches, carbs and start carrying 'shakes' around as an accessory. I can only speak for myself, but I find all of that quite off putting regarding changing my own habits, which surely defeats the purpose of the thread somewhat.

Maybe I am just being a cantankerous bollocks, but it was one of my resolutions to be crankier this year.

You make a fair point re people turning it into something more, I was merely trying to pass on some advice I was once given. 

To put it simply to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume, how you go about that is up to the individual. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:16am

You make a fair point re people turning it into something more, I was merely trying to pass on some advice I was once given. 

To put it simply to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume, how you go about that is up to the individual. 
No bother, just something that I have found annoying for a while and you were hardly the worst culprit! 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:27am
The thing is though, gaining muscle can help with weight loss. More muscle means your body burns more calories when you exercise which can help to lose fat. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The thing is though, gaining muscle can help with weight loss. More muscle means your body burns more calories when you exercise which can help to lose fat. 
Yes, but, from what I have read and been told, it is for those taking it a bit more seriously.
I think it all goes back to complicating life unnecessarily; if I won’t to lose weight I need to exercise more and cut back on the ale and curries, hardly groundbreaking. However, a quick Google search brings up all sorts of additions and tips and nonsense. It’s like we aren’t allowed a simple approach to things anymore. I suppose there is no money in common sense.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:56am

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yes, but, from what I have read and been told, it is for those taking it a bit more seriously.
I think it all goes back to complicating life unnecessarily; if I won’t to lose weight I need to exercise more and cut back on the ale and curries, hardly groundbreaking. However, a quick Google search brings up all sorts of additions and tips and nonsense. It’s like we aren’t allowed a simple approach to things anymore. I suppose there is no money in common sense.

Totally agree - If science and human knowledge had moved on over the last 30 or 40 years then there would be a valid reason for all of these additional tips and "nonsense" but ........hold on..........!!

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:13pm
And losing weight is still the same. Getting fit and levels of fitness may have changed, but the basic premise for losing weight, no matter who it is repackaged to the consumer market, will always be the same.
There have been unquestionable advancements in science and knowledge, even if there is a debate about whether all of them have been for the good. 
There has also been a huge increase in this period of body issues and people believing they have to be a certain way and this has played a minor, but significant, role in the rise of mental health problems. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm
Just picking up on the previous conversation.

The practice of skipping meals and going to the gym just for the sa of skipping a few calories  is crazy and dangerous.

The body needs Carbs, without Carbs you tire. It doesn’t cost much and takes less than 10 minutes  for a Pasta, banana and a yogurt. Or even the classic Beans, toast and scrambled eggs. Both very nutritious meals for the start of the day which the body will appreciate 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm
I've lost my way the last year. Havent lifted a finger since the beginning of December but have started to get back into it now.

Training schedule plan is to go with 20 minute HILT at home for my cardio a few times a week and then strength training on another 3 days. Finding the time to for myself to get to the gym is most of the time my biggest challenge to get my sh*t in each week. 

But mainly, weight is lost in the kitchen. That's where I really need to get me head together. Have started the intermittent fasting the last week. Just need to cut down on the beer and biscuits and we should be good 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I've lost my way the last year. Havent lifted a finger since the beginning of December but have started to get back into it now.

Training schedule plan is to go with 20 minute HILT at home for my cardio a few times a week and then strength training on another 3 days. Finding the time to for myself to get to the gym is most of the time my biggest challenge to get my sh*t in each week. 

But mainly, weight is lost in the kitchen. That's where I really need to get me head together. Have started the intermittent fasting the last week. Just need to cut down on the beer and biscuits and we should be good 

I have a sh1t load of chocolate left over after Christmas and it's all going to be eaten. Not a hope of me bringing it into work like other people. It will be eaten and enjoyed.

Marathon training will start when it's all gone!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I have a sh1t load of chocolate left over after Christmas and it's all going to be eaten. Not a hope of me bringing it into work like other people. It will be eaten and enjoyed.

Marathon training will start when it's all gone!

Snickers now, marathon later
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:15pm
LOL
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:29pm
LOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 133>
  Share Topic