You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 133>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:40pm
Yeah absolutely you're going nowhere if you're not on a deficit. 

Trap by the looks of it your snacking is.holding you back. I'm a f**ker for snacking, especially with tea.

Cut it out and you'll see results in my opinion. And skip brekkie if you can manage it

I'm not counting calories but I'd definitely have a calorie deficit.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:34pm
I meant as a nonsensical way to live your life.

Why spend your days looking at the back of food packets ? We've enough to be doing day to day without having to contend with that. With the slightest bit of discipline there really is no need to do it.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Tracking calories is a load of nonsense imo. 

The calorific value which, by definition is how much heat (energy) we extract from food, will be different from person to person as it is dependant on many factors (height, muscle mass, an individuals capabilities to metabolise the different foods to name a few) ... 

Eat good food regularly, don't overload on portions, keep blood sugar low (fasting is brilliant to do this) and keep moving. Do that and your won't have a weight problem.

The laws of thermodynamics are not nonsense, surprisingly enough.

The differences you refer to in terms of individual calorie extraction from food are typically so miniscule as to not be worth taking into consideration.

The other differences, in terms of calorie allowance, are acknowledged and this is why everybody will have a different TDEE which needs to be found via a trial and error process using online guides as a baseline.

Like, you can only laugh when somebody says tracking calories is a load of nonsense. Literally, the only way, just to repeat for those at the back, THE ONLY WAY, weight loss is possible is by being on a calorie deficit ffs. This is what you're dealing with on here. LOL everything else is just a way to facilitate a calorie deficit. Even the vague "advice" you've posted.

Edited by E2016 - 06 Feb 2024 at 6:26pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:19pm
Tracking calories is a load of nonsense imo. 

The calorific value which, by definition is how much heat (energy) we extract from food, will be different from person to person as it is dependant on many factors (height, muscle mass, an individuals capabilities to metabolise the different foods to name a few) ... 

Eat good food regularly, don't overload on portions, keep blood sugar low (fasting is brilliant to do this) and keep moving. Do that and you won't have a weight problem.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 06 Feb 2024 at 6:21pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:19pm
Well I'd weigh out potatoes, yeah. If I were having a chicken fillet I'd weigh that. Veg I don't bother.

How often are you going to be eating out? If its a meal that's particularly calorific then I'd do a bit of extra cardio that day, and try to leave a lot of kcals for that meal. Of course you won't always know in restaurants but a best guess, erring on the side of caution will be fine.

But when you're doing it for as long as I have, you get far better at the eyeballing and don't have to always weigh. If I'm in a maintenance phase I'll usually eyeball. I don't track every day of the year. If my weight is moving in the wrong direction I'll know I'm off somewhere, or eating too much. And I'll track again for a bit.

It's only when you want to lose or gain weight that you need to be truly diligent. Once you're happy where you are you have the wiggle room to ease off a bit as long as you're weighing yourself regularly to ensure things aren't going way off 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Fair enough, but how do you know the calories listed are reliable? It's a famously difficult thing to measure. How do you accurately measure how many calories you've burnt that day?

you can't be 100% accurate with it, but if you're tracking and doing it regularly and to a decent level, the weight loss follows every time for me. 

My issue is routinely tracking, I just fall out of the habit and really struggle to get back on it. 

I do find folks talking about cutting out sugar and the weight loss following, that it's just a consequence of then eating healthier generally, it's not sugar itself that is the problem. But whatever works for people, go for it, as long as it's sustainable for you.

Feeling rotten lately so want to get back in the habit. Starting to slowly get back to the gym for strength training so if I get back to the routine of calorie counting I should be in good shape come summer
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:12pm
Glad to hear your on the fasting train @mayomark. Great way to get rid of all the unwanted sh*te in your body.

The med diet is the best way to go for me personally. Lots of oils, good fats, fish most days, few carbs but not many. I find I've very little slumps in energy these days..pep in the step from the get go. Everyone metabolises food differently but it works for me. Would recommend 👍🏼
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:10pm
Interesting, thanks for sharing 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

[QUOTE=Trap junior]
I wouldn't go to the trouble of weighing stuff.  I'd look at the packet or on the app.  On the app it says 30g serving of branflakes is 130 calories.  Biscuit might be 75 cal.  Pint Carlsberg 230cal etc..

I run 40-50mins regularly (just back from one actually) so that says on the app I've burned 500-600 cals

TBH I'm not going to cut back any more.  For me my diet is reasonable and I eat in moderation I would say.  Life would be miserable eating nothing but 2-3 square meals and zero snacking.

I'm not trying to get a 6 pack.  Just lose a bit of the gut. 

Weigh out 30g once to give you an idea of what it is. It's f*ck all. No adult in the history of cereal has eaten the recommended portion size. 

You may as well not be tracking because if you're eyeballing things then you're almost certainly overestimating. Just a complete waste of time to half heartedly do it (as your results are showing)

The calories burned running is likely an overestimate too.

You can track and have nice things. You can snack, whatever you like. Tracking doesn't mean no snacking.

But your diet is not one I'd look at and expect weight loss from. Far from it.
[/QUOTE ]How are you supposed to track your dinner? Weigh out the parsley sauce etc?  Or when you go to a restaurant?  'Here squire weigh that will ya?'

Fair play if you do that every time you eat.  I'm not going to go to that trouble to be honest. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:08pm

Fair enough, but how do you know the calories listed are reliable? It's a famously difficult thing to measure. How do you accurately measure how many calories you've burnt that day?

I trust the labels, they have not led me wrong in years. I trust that they are regulated to the EU and IE standards they are supposed to be regulated to.

If I'm being extremely diligent I won't have any takeaway where I don't know for sure what's in the food. 

Your TDEE is a trial and error process for the start. There are general online guides that can give you a ballpark, but it's best to follow your guide calories, then monitor for a week or two to find your maintenance. If your weight is consistent then thats your maintenance.

I'll generally calculate my TDEE as if I'm doing absolutely nothing all day, and create my deficit. I'll then add on exercise from there.

If I'm adding exercise I'll allow myself to eat back 70 percent of the approx calories burned, to account for overestimation. 

This is all presuming I'm in a deficit. I've been eating in one for the last 7 weeks now and have 1 more week left before I enter into a surplus. I often eat at maintenance too.

Edited by E2016 - 06 Feb 2024 at 6:11pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:02pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I wouldn't go to the trouble of weighing stuff.  I'd look at the packet or on the app.  On the app it says 30g serving of branflakes is 130 calories.  Biscuit might be 75 cal.  Pint Carlsberg 230cal etc..

I run 40-50mins regularly (just back from one actually) so that says on the app I've burned 500-600 cals

TBH I'm not going to cut back any more.  For me my diet is reasonable and I eat in moderation I would say.  Life would be miserable eating nothing but 2-3 square meals and zero snacking.

Weigh out 30g once to give you an idea of what it is. It's f*ck all. No adult in the history of cereal has eaten the recommended portion size. 

You may as well not be tracking because if you're eyeballing things then you're almost certainly overestimating. Just a complete waste of time to half heartedly do it (as your results are showing)

The calories burned running is likely an overestimate too.

You can track and have nice things. You can snack, whatever you like. Tracking doesn't mean no snacking.

But your diet is not one I'd look at and expect weight loss from. Far from it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:47pm

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:42pm

That sounds an absolutely miserable way to live your life 

What does?

Tracking calories?

I track calories and have a packet of crisps every single day. Plenty of other foods i eat i enjoy greatly. I have nice foods on weekends. 

I'd rather take the time to weigh something for 10 seconds and another 15 to throw it into MFP, than be fat. I know which one makes me more miserable. Shockingly enough, it was being fat.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:37pm
That sounds an absolutely miserable way to live your life 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:33pm
Calories.

Eat in a deficit purely from spoons of sugar and you'll lose weight. 

The repeated mention of sugar on here is like the blind leading the blind.

If you're not losing weight you're either tracking incorrectly, your TDEE estimate is too high, or you aren't tracking at all on certain days and you're way overeating on those days.

You've probably got 300 calories from 2 biscuits and 1 small chocolate bar. If your portion size of biscuits is 2 rather than 1, then thats 450 calories between your biscuits and chocolate. If you're not weighing the bran flakes you're likely overestimating your portion. Full fat/Low fat/Fat free milk? Going to be differences of 20 calories per 100 ml. Cheese is very calorie dense.

50g of bran flakes and 250 ml of full fat milk is 320kcals X 2 = 640. Add on your snacks and you're very likely over 1000 already, and you've not accounted for the rest of your breakfast, your lunch or your dinner.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:27pm
TJ are you tracking all of that in My Fitness Pal and it's coming out under 2,000 cals? It seems higher than that - are you weighing the food/milk (even milk in your tea) etc? I'd advise you to do that meticulously for a few days to get an idea of your actual calories consumed and work from there
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

It can be awful demoralising when you think you're doing everything right and nothing seems to work.

For me now it's worked twice. Pre and post Christmas, with no exercise really. Off sugar and ultra processed food where possible. Not totally mind. There's a book I mentioned before called ultra processed people and it's very, very good. Audiobook for me as I spend a lot of time in the car. 

I double up with intermittent fasting too which is easy for me as I don't have breakfast anyways. So I will go 16-20 hours without eating.

Lunch everyday for me is porridge, loaded with flax seed, raisins, cinnamon and left overnight. Really filling and nice. Then dinner in the evening when I go home and that's me done. 

Main thing for me is I'm not ravenous as I will get narky. No point doing something unsustainable/ Lesson for me is to cop the f**k on over Christmas!

I like snacking.  Have to have something with a cup of tea be it a small fun size finger of Twix or a biscuit or a bit of cheese with brown bread.  

My diet to me seems reasonable.

Breakfast:  bran flakes followed by 2 boiled eggs and maybe one silce of brown bread.

Mid morning:  Tea and biscuit

Lunch: Sandwich e.g. chicken (no mayo or salad etc)

Dinner:  Whatever followed by tea and a little chocolate or small treat 

Evening:  Tea with a biscuit or cheese small portion.  Just a mouthful.

Before bed:  Bowl bran flakes.

Life would be miserable if I had no chocolate. Not worth giving it up.  Like it doesnt seem too bad to me what I'm eating.  Its not like I'm pigging out on dominis pizza and coke most nights.  Would only rarely have a takeaway. 

Edited by Trap junior - 06 Feb 2024 at 4:07pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 133>
  Share Topic